• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCDO is cited as "loosely organized”

Dreamer

imported post

That's like saying that the Public Librarys of the country are "loosely organized" for pushing 1A rights...

Just because small local groups all over the country are working toward similar goals, and have occasional intercommunication does NOT indicate that they are "organized" at all--loosely or otherwise.

The statement made on that other forum is riduculous and shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the way grassroots activism works, and shows an underlying lack of concern for individual freedoms and Constitutional rule of law.

CraigC178

imported post

jbone wrote:
Fhttp://forums.securityinfowatch.com/showthread.php?t=9160

Forum I ran across taking about Starbucks and the OC movement.

SNIP: “The "open carry" movement, in which gun owners carry unconcealed handguns as they go about their everyday business, is loosely organized”
I'd agree with the assessment that we are loosely organized. There isn't an overarching organizing body that steers us, but instead a loose confederation that is bound only by a shared ideal. We all participate in the movement in our own way and at the time of our choosing. OCDO really serves as a resource for like minded individuals to contact each other and as an information clearing house.

It is one of the strengths of the movement. We don't have or need a roster of members to call upon. Many open carriers will never visit OCDO and I would venture a guess that most will never pay dues to any organization to advocate for them. I for one, would stop associating with any group or movement that made a concerted effort to steer my exercise of civil liberties.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
"...according to opencarry.org, which is a loosely organized Web forum...."

WTH is that supposed to mean?

Not much formal organization, such as rules/regs/charter/hierarchy/membership standards/behavioral rules/dogma/performance standards-measurement/etc.

The term is fine. It's not necessarily bad.

"Loosely organized" is a perfectly good entity structure. Depends on the mission/goals/environment/etc.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=39447

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Pagan wrote:
As much arguing and debate that goes on in the forum, loosely is too tight a word:)
That's because we respect our 1st amendment also. :p
The U.S. is supposed to be a loosely organization of independent states.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Pagan wrote:
As much arguing and debate that goes on in the forum, loosely is too tight a word:)

We could always elminate all argument, debate and discussion on the forum:

012904_fg1.jpg

But, I hope not...

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I too caught that wording in the Wall Street Journal article when it came out, I laughed on the inside and began thinking about all of the ORGANIZED groups that operate on this site. I would hardly say loosely organized unless you want to refer to the OC groups across interstate lines, sure, but intra-state, there are cohesive groups. They should have either expounded on the loose organization or not have used it at all.

Alexcabbie

imported post

These forums are sorta like a crackerbarrel at a general store. But a lot of good info and ideas get swapped around a cracker barrel. We have people here from GOA and VCDL, which are very organized, indeed; and their efforts benefit from the exchange. We are "loose" like an AK is "loose"in machine tolerance. And like an AK we keep chattering no matter what, and that's a good thing.