• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

state farm lawyer appointment regarding my burglary

scorpio_vette

imported post

ok so this was interesting.

quick recap.

my property was burglarized 2x in 2009 to the sum of $30,000. ALL of my mechanics tools were stolen. I was insured with state farm who is trying to accuse me of fraud and has been fighting against paying out since august of 2009. the insurance has been doing everything they can do find anything against me. criminal background check, financial background checks, etc..etc..etc..etc..

now it's gotten to the point that they called an attorney and my wife and me are supposed to go before the attorney SEPARATELY for "statements under oath". we got a letter in the mail regarding appointment dates, etc.... and that we should call to confirm the appointment.

NOW.....here is where it gets interesting.

My wife just called them to confirm the appointment, and after she gets off the phone she comes into the living room and looks at me with this confused/blank stare and says:
"i just want to let you know before you come down here to please pass along to your husband that our office does NOT allow firearms".

HOW THE HELL would they know that i open carry??? how far are these people digging to have come up with such information???

I mean i would have to assume that that is not your "average" message relayed during the phone conversation of a appointment confirmation.

what do you guys think???

CraigC178

imported post

If I were you, I would not go down to their office without my own attorney. They are clearly trying to set up for potential litigation and you need to have an advocate for your own interests.

barronburke

imported post

Wow is all I can muster I had a workmans comp claim were the insurance company took pitcures of me wile I was in the doctors office and pulled records from my creadit and even my college called me to say that they tryed getting my school class schedual and if I was in any programs or classes where I would be excerting any physical movement that could show that I was not injured. This was after I had two surgeries for skin graphs from burns to my face chest and arms from the accident they are shisty little people whos only job is to find any reason to not pay. Its a lose lose you had to deal with people stealing from you no you have to deal with this its horrible Im sorry to hear this Hope every thing goes good and you get your money.

scorpio_vette

imported post

CraigC178 wrote:
If I were you, I would not go down to their office without my own attorney. They are clearly trying to set up for potential litigation and you need to have an advocate for your own interests.

i tried. unfortunately i couldn't find any lawyers that seemed to think this case was worth anything. so nobody wanted to do one of those "percentage of the winnings" type deals. every estimate i got was upwards to $10,000 with around $3,000 cash up front.

no way in hell could i come up with that kinda money the way things have been going for us the past couple years.

so i'm just gonna have to do my very best to out-talk the professional talker.

but seriously.............where, how, why did they come up with any reason to specifically tell my wife to "tell her husband that firearms aren't allowed"??? are they reading forums or something??? LOL

oak1971

imported post

I think they have a private detective following you. It's the only way they could know about your carry status. He or she would also have pulled your background info.

scorpio_vette

imported post

oak1971 wrote:
I think they have a private detective following you. It's the only way they could know about your carry status. He or she would also have pulled your background info.

yeah I've thought about that before already. since they are accusing me of fraud it would just make sense that they have somebody watching me to see if i've been working out of my garage, or using my tools elsewhere.

but if that's the case, then i hope he also told them that i've been driving all winter on a bad u-joint, that my tires are so out of balance that i can barely go over 60 without shaking to death, and that i had to have a friend drive 1/2hour to my house and bring HIS tools so i could fix my jeep when it broke down and i didn't have transportation to take the kid to the doctor.

M

McX

imported post

don't speak to them without your lawyer present, i agree completely that they are trying to set you up. if you do go, wear an emplty holster just to stick it to them.
this smacks to me like when we got insurance with a new carrier for the shop, they saw the open carry allowed sign, and all the sudden they wanted to know about my firearm. i told them i refuse to answer their questions, and i am a responsible firearm owner- nothing more. got my insurance, and that was that.

M

McX

imported post

scorpio, bring your mug down to the shop, and we'll help you out, we always back an open carrier.

scorpio_vette

imported post

McX wrote:
don't speak to them without your lawyer present, i agree completely that they are trying to set you up. if you do go, wear an emplty holster just to stick it to them.
this smacks to me like when we got insurance with a new carrier for the shop, they saw the open carry allowed sign, and all the sudden they wanted to know about my firearm. i told them i refuse to answer their questions, and i am a responsible firearm owner- nothing more. got my insurance, and that was that.

well as i said above, i'm my own lawyer because i can't afford a "real lawyer". LOL

as for our new homeowners insurance, we are with USAA now, and when we were setting up our policy, i was being as detailed and asking as many questions as i could. then suddenly the agent said to me: "also if you decide to acquire weapons for home or self defense, those are also covered under the homeowners insurance"
so i asked if he could be more specific, since that is such a controversial topic in some circles, and that he might say they cover weapons, but then it turns out they only cover pocket knives and airsoft guns.
so he replied: "airsoft guns, handguns, shotguns, hunting rifles, M16's.................if you are legally allowed to own it, we'll cover it".

so at least in the future i know that our new homeowners "claims" to be firearms friendly.

M

McX

imported post

face it dude, you mug is legendary. you open carrying damn radical you!:lol:

scorpio_vette

imported post

McX wrote:
face it dude, you mug is legendary. you open carrying damn radical you!:lol:

can't a guy just wear army camos and sleeveless shirt to show off his ink???
why can't i just be a law-abiding citizen, why a open carrying radical???:lol::lol::lol::lol:

bluehighways

imported post

Insurance companies regularly hire private spooks to case people filing a medium to large claim. I had one following me 12 years ago after I was run over by a negligent semi-truck driver. I was hurt pretty bad, and as soon as I was able to move around on my own, case still pending, I noticed black GMC suv's were everywhere that I was. I'm extremely observant of my surroundings in the first place and have an eye for detail, so I took note of the license plates.

Sure enough, it was the same two vehicles following me everywhere I went. This went on for over a year, until the case was settled.

If you're filing a claim or suing an insurance company, mind your P's and Q's. Dot all I's and cross your T's, too. Make sure your $h1t is squeaky clean, because they (the insurance companies) DO hire private spooks to follow you around and take notes on everything they see.

goforlow

imported post

As stated by "bluehighways", the insurance company WILL have a private investigator watching you!

Yes, I speak from experience. Back when I was in the military, I did some moonlighting work as a PI. Most of my work was for other GI's looking for cheating spouses. I worked 6 or 7 cases for insurance companies watching folks with medical/disability claims. I can't go into alot of detail, but I was paid to follow folks around and get pictures and video of them in their normal life activities. Always looking for things that worked against them and their claims. Of the cases I worked, only 1 guy was truly injured!

And, yes, the insurance company DOES NOT want to pay you anything! Good luck and document all the things that you needed to change in your life/work because of this issue.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Damn! Once upon a time my (previous) insurance company was all too eager to pay my neighbor when a tree which was on the property line took out his rusty old storage shed during a storm. The neighbor had previously trimmed the live portion of the tree overhanging his shed and left the dead portion intact. They paid enough to buy 2 new sheds over my objections saying they "didn't want hard feelings between neighbors."

Serpent

imported post

We've got all our insurance through Farmers. When I started with them I double checked that they would cover my firearms. They did, to a specified limit.(more available at extra cost)
When I started OC'ing I went back to my agent and specifically asked if they would cover any liability claim arising from my lawful use of my guns for self defense. My agent had to go to the underwriters to check but found that they definitely would cover any lawful use up to the limit of the umbrella policy. It's not enough to cover the loss of your guns, but also your use of them... at least until Wisconsin enacts a castle doctrine.