• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loop hole

Bear 45/70

imported post

StatTheCat wrote:
Nivek wrote:
Just did some research, and it's a Federal Law that worries me. Minimum rifle length is 26"... a bullpup SOCOM will be shorter. Overall length is 37.25 inches, and the bullpup kit is supposed to shorten the rifle ~13 inches. Hmm...
Do you count the two inch flash hider?
You can count it only if it is permenately attached, AKA welded on.

FlyerAce128

imported post

I know for receivers you have to be 21. I went to a gun store over in ID and purchased a RRA AR-15 receiver. He had to have it shipped over to an FFL here in WA. I didn't really think anything of it at the time, and when it came time to transfer the FFL didn't think it would be an issue either. Long story short, when he called the ATF for the NCIC check they started to give him the clearance number or whatever. Then they stopped and asked once again for my DOB. He gave it to them again and they said since I was 20 they couldn't allow the transfer. After he got off the phone we talked about it for a bit and that it seemed a bit weird since I was planning on building a rifle the receiver didn't have "pistol only" stamped on it. He called the ATF agent in Spokane, and after phone tag for a week or two we confirmed that the ATF requires you be 21 to have a receiver transferred-- apparently since it CAN be made into a pistol. So, I would assume that, at least at the federal level, receivers are treated as pistols unless you actually turn it into a rifle.

PacWest

imported post

I know I read somewhere that the ATF changed the ruling on receiver purchases for those under 21. It didn't used to be that way. I also believe that receivers marked under rifle when transferred are considered to be a rifle.

Now that is think about it someone posted some correspondence with the ATF over at AR15.com about this. The rules have changed in the last 5 years.

Bear 45/70

imported post

FlyerAce128 wrote:
I know for receivers you have to be 21. I went to a gun store over in ID and purchased a RRA AR-15 receiver. He had to have it shipped over to an FFL here in WA. I didn't really think anything of it at the time, and when it came time to transfer the FFL didn't think it would be an issue either. Long story short, when he called the ATF for the NCIC check they started to give him the clearance number or whatever. Then they stopped and asked once again for my DOB. He gave it to them again and they said since I was 20 they couldn't allow the transfer. After he got off the phone we talked about it for a bit and that it seemed a bit weird since I was planning on building a rifle the receiver didn't have "pistol only" stamped on it. He called the ATF agent in Spokane, and after phone tag for a week or two we confirmed that the ATF requires you be 21 to have a receiver transferred-- apparently since it CAN be made into a pistol. So, I would assume that, at least at the federal level, receivers are treated as pistols unless you actually turn it into a rifle.
This was already cover. Under 21 can not buy from an FFL. Private party is fine.