• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LTCF vs CCP in PA

Rbt Strouse

imported post

Hi

New to this site, but love all the info. Have CCd for years but never heard the term

LTCF until I started looking into the carry laws.Is this covered under my CCP or is this something else? Or is this a dumb question? I drive Tow Truck at night and I sometimes go to Philly. Thanks for any response

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

An LTCF allows you to do any of the following:
  • Carry a firearm concealed on your person anywhere in the Commonwealth, unless lawfully prohibited (schools, courts, federal buildings, VA complexes, State buildings administered by the Dept. of State).
  • Open carry in Philadelphia.
  • Carry, loaded or otherwise, in a vehicle.
  • Carry while actively defending you and yours (and your property) during a Declared State of Emergency.
  • Carry concealed in a state park.
A firearm, as defined by the Uniform Firearms Act concerning LTCFs, includes revolvers, pistols, short-barreled rifles and short-barreled shotguns.

It helps if correct terminology is used (even "the authorities" screw it up - so don't feel lonesome). It's an LTCF, it's not a CCP, or CCW, or any other abbreviation/acronym.

And, just because you have an LTCF, that doesn't mean you're required to carry concealed, despite what some uneducated cop says (and by now they all should have received their annual MPOETC training which stated that Open Carry was legal).

Rbt Strouse

imported post

Thanks for the info, checked the card, you are correct. Told you may be dumb question. But safe or sorry. Never noticed. That is how people get in trouble, by not reading the fine print. My own fault . ( I accept this was my oversight) Trying to find out what our local PD says about OC . I CC but it shows when loading cars etc. Never had any issues.Thanks again and will post any info from Bucks county I come accross.

mrjam2jab

imported post

Rbt Strouse wrote:
Thanks for the info, checked the card, you are correct. Told you may be dumb question. But safe or sorry. Never noticed. That is how people get in trouble, by not reading the fine print. My own fault . ( I accept this was my oversight) Trying to find out what our local PD says about OC . I CC but it shows when loading cars etc. Never had any issues.Thanks again and will post any info from Bucks county I come accross.

Legally...doesn't matter what the local PD says about OC...they should know it to be legal...

Annual Police training

Rbt Strouse

imported post

I work with six twp PD , two boro PD, and PSP. I want to know what their policies are to OC. I plan on contacting all to find out. This spring I will OC when clothing does not permit CC.I don't need to be bothered every time I load a car. When you work at night by yourself,you need protection. ( Wife insists I carry at all times, got to love her)Will update any info I find out , THANKS

Statkowski

imported post

I work with six twp PD , two boro PD, and PSP. I want to know what their policies are to OC. I plan on contacting all to find out.
Click on the already-mentioned link: http://paopencarry.org/pdfs/mpoetc_oc.pdf

The link will take you to the annual training that each and every police officer in your six township police departments, two borough police departments and the State Police all received last year, 2009. Note the training on the third page of the MPOETC extract:

Question No. 3 - What can police legally do when they observe a person engaging in open carry?

Answer
- In most cases, the police cannot engage the person in anything other than a mere encounter. ... Therefore, a stop and frisk or any other seizure would not be legally justified.
Of course, you are free to contact all six township police departments, two borough police departments and the State Police in order to find out what their "policies" are, but if you're doing that, you might as well also inquire about their "policies" concerning your speaking your mind, going where you want to go, associating with certain people, and worshiping (or not worshiping) as you please. If you feel you have to inquire about exercising one of your rights, as specifically guaranteed by Article 1, Section 21 of the Pennsylvania State Constitution, you might as well inquire about exercising the other rights, too.

I can't make it any clearer to you - OPEN CARRY OF FIREARMS IS LEGAL THROUGHOUT THE COMMONWEALTH. That concept, strange as it may seem, is guaranteed by not only the Pennsylvania State Constitution, but also two Pennsylvania Supreme Court rulings. Any police officers who think otherwise may well find themselves on the receiving end of a federal civil rights lawsuit (and there are presently two such lawsuits currently working their way through the courts as of this moment - Dickson City and Allentown).

Rbt Strouse

imported post

Let me reword my statement. I am not asking the PD for permission to OC. I would like to know if they will respond lights and sirens or at reduced speed or patrol check every time I OC. This area is crawling with " concerned people"who will call PD because of anything they think is not right in "Their world"

Statkowski

imported post

That's their problem, not yours.

How the police will react at any one time will depend on the call, what was said, the time of day, the phase of the moon, whether it's high tide or not, etc., etc., etc. They will react the way they react when they react, and not before.

All you can do is brace yourself if necessary, be knowledgeable of the law, and don't give in to illegal requests or demands.