• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC/cc

harleyryder98

imported post

I am new to this site, and have learned a lot in a couple days, oc or cc, I haven't read any thing on a ccw badge, I know this may seem odd but I usually oc and some times I will wear a Concealed Handgun Permit badge, seems that the general public doesn't get to excited when they see a badge with a oc weapon, now I have been asked if I am a Cop or where I am a cop at, and I just reply NO just a Armed American Citizen exercising my rights, some times I cc just depends on how I feel, where I may be going, but prefer to oc, please let me know the general opinion thanks

sohighlyunlikely

imported post

I havesherifffriends who are not to thrilled about OC. Though they do understand it's legality. I think they feel a little threatened about it. It's a cop thing I guess. It would be my opinion that if you were to give them something close to a reason to ticket you(ie waring your citizen badge) they would gladly do so. Impersonating a cop is something that I would try to avoid. The badge just seems to muddy up the waters a little to much for my tastes.

cash50

imported post

So you wear a badge that says "Concealed Permit Holder"?? But you do it when you open carry? Kinda gay to wear a badge...

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There have been numerous threads on this over the years. A majority of OCDO posters seem to express opposition to them for a variety of reasons and the threads on that issue tend to get rather, um, lively.

Alcibiades

imported post

Hi Harley...I'm rather new to the site as well, but welcome regardless! :)

This is just my humble, but educated, opinion...

Other posters on these "badge" threads were correct in saying that the wearing of one of these badges, even with your OC firearm doesn't, in and of itself, constitute impersonation of alaw enforcementofficer underMissouristatutes as there's no over act on your part to represent yourself as a law enforcement officer or to induce another to act under the same false representation.

That being said, I just thought it noteworthy to mention that some cities have lawsaddressing the wearing of badges themselves inADDITION to impersonation laws, as in the St. Louis City Revised Code:

15.08.010 Badges--Wearing--Display.

It is unlawful for any person, without being authorized to do so, to wear, display or have on his person, any badge, shield, button, pin or other emblem, which purports, represents or in any manner indicates, that the wearer or possessor thereof is vested or endowed with official powers or with authority to make arrests, or in any manner to exercise governmental or police powers, or which shall purport, represent or in any manner indicate, that the wearer or possessor thereof is a duly appointed sheriff, deputy sheriff, constable, police officer, detective, marshal, private watchman, city or state inspector. (1948 C. Ch. 46 § 4: 1960 C. § 784.010.)

http://www.slpl.lib.mo.us/cco/code/data/t151508.htm

It's true, that upon reading the badge closely it would be obvious to someone that it claimed/indicated no actual authority, but it would still be against the spirit of the law in the sense that most people would believe it to be an actual police badge were they not a foot away to read it.

That’s why the key wordin this law is"purports", AKA the intended meaning. If you take into account the totality of the circumstances, that is, the wearing ofa badgeWITH an OC'edfirearm (OC is illegal in the City of St. Louis, by the way)or a shirt that says POLICE, or a pair of handcuffs orsome other factor, itCOULD very easily lead a reasonable person to believe that you werean LEO and could be enough probable cause for an officer to ticket you or effect an arrest. And do you really want to go in front of a judge/jury and tell themyou were wearing it to calm down the general public? Somehow I don't think they're going to buy it...

But outside of the whole, “is it legal/illegal” discussion...you need to ask yourself, honestly, why it is you want to wear one. Is it really because you are worried about people being nervous around your firearm? Or is it because you want people to believe you’re in LE for no other reason than your own personal gratification?

Don't take this the wrong way, but IMHO? Badge=Wanna Be. Do yourself a favor and give the badge to some neighborhood kids playing cops-n-robbers...you'll make their day andyou'll probablyeven feel good about it. :D

harleyryder98

imported post

thanks for the honest reply, I honestly was wearing it to ease the general public and trying to avoid Man with a gun calls, but after talking to a local sheriff and reading the opinions and reply I think I will take the advice given here and by my local sheriff and just OC and not worry about the general public, thanks again

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That's what the forum is for - exchanging thoughts and ideas and sharing our experiences. Hope you stick around and contribute to the forum.

Big Boy

imported post

Yeah I've got to agree. I've still got a polo with a badge on it from when I was Lake Tapawingo Water Patrol, but I WILL NOT wear it when carrying. It gets too muddy and you could be charged with impersonation.

Festus_Hagen

imported post

I have a ton of shirts from various law enforcement agencies I got for 1.00 each as work shirts years ago from a guy who made them. They were over-runs so he sold them for a buck. I won't wear one if I'm carrying a gun. As said, it leaves the door open for interpretation.