Thread: Gov. Markel wants to give Housing Auth. the right to ban guns

Post imported post

"Delaware Gov. Jack Markell has blasted proposed legislation that would bar Delaware's housing authorities from prohibiting their tenants to own firearms." - Delawareonline

He wants to allow the Housing Authority to be able to ban Law-Abiding citizens from owning firearms.

The legislation in question would ban the Delaware housing authority from prohibiting their tenants to own firearms.

How will the Law-Abiding people defend themselves from the thugs that carry illegally?
    Will a police officer be assigned to each family for protection? Will my taxes go up to support the new officers?

What is he thinking?

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

The legislation in question was introduced in order to comply with a U.S. Supreme Court ruling on another case involving a housing authority.

Post imported post

So essentially, Gov. Markel has no grounds?

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Might not have been a SCOTUS case (sorry 'bout that), but, the NRA filed a federal suit against the San Francisco Housing Authority. Once Heller came out, stating that possession of a firearm in one's home, was a right, not a privilege, Frisco folded and settled.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-01-1...-gun-advocates

Rather than face a lawsuit, the Newark (Delaware) Housing Authority scrapped its prohibition on firearms.

http://criblog.wordpress.com/2010/02...draws-gun-ban/

So, yes, Gov. Markel has no grounds because if it comes to a post-Heller lawsuit, the state will lose. The legislation reinforces the post-Heller firearms viewpoint.

If you really want to see that Gov. Markel has no grounds for his fee-good statements, just Google "firearms housing authority" or "housing authority gun ban" and get overloaded with results.

Post imported post

The Case, that is referenced, never, in my belief and to the best of my knowledge, went to any Court, less I am mistken.

It was between the NRA and San Francisco Housing Authority, I believe.

At any rate, considering in light of Heller, The Housing Authority rescinded on their partially-Preempted Firearms Ordinance in California.

Wisely, they (The City-owned Housing Authority) came to the realization that the Rule/Policy would be ultra vires with The Supreme Court's ruling that allows any Law-abiding American Citizen, who is not otherwise prohibited under Federal/State Law, to have a Firearm in the House for protection and self-defense.

Under California Law it is Legal to have a Firearm in ones Home, however; I am uncertain if there exsist any type of disassembly Laws in California for Children protection. Regardless though, any such Law is contrary The Supreme Courts Ruling, and thus, has no meaning under Law.

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

aadvark wrote:
    The Case, that is referenced, never, in my belief and to the best of my knowledge, went to any Court, less I am mistken.

It was between the NRA and San Francisco Housing Authority, I believe.

At any rate, considering in light of Heller, The Housing Authority rescinded on their partially-Preempted Firearms Ordinance in California.

Wisely, they (The City-owned Housing Authority) came to the realization that the Rule/Policy would be ultra vires with The Supreme Court's ruling that allows any Law-abiding American Citizen, who is not otherwise prohibited under Federal/State Law, to have a Firearm in the House for protection and self-defense.

Under California Law it is Legal to have a Firearm in ones Home, however; I am uncertain if there exsist any type of disassembly Laws in California for Children protection. Regardless though, any such Law is contrary The Supreme Courts Ruling, and thus, has no meaning under Law.

What do you mean by "partially-Preempted"? That sounds like being partially pregnant........Please explain. Thanks in advance!

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!