• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Los Alamos

sss01

imported post

Having seen mention of Starbuck's policy in the latest Frontsight email, which offered free training to Starbuck's employees, I printed it out, strapped my .45 on, and headed down there to tell the manager about the offer.

When I got there, the first person I met inside the door was the manager, who was straightening up a display. I showed her the article and she thought I was there to complain (she obviously did not notice my right hip). I had to tell her specifically about the training offer and that I supported Starbucks' position. She then understood and said she would tell the employees.

Meanwhile, she and a nearby customer noticed the service dog I was training. I gave her some of the treats I was carrying and she gave them to my dog. After she left, I asked the customer if I could join her and her daughter and we talked about service dogs for awhile and how my dog had been scared by skateboarders on the street outside and that I was working with her to get her over it. Suddenly, she said, "You have a gun." I said, "Yes, open carry is legal in New Mexico." She said they had recently moved from Texas. So we talked about needing a CCW permit if you carried in your purse and their moving to Los Alamos. She didn't seem disturbed about the .45 when I bid them farewell.

I then walked down Central Avenue and went to Metzger's Hardware. After getting the plumbing parts I needed and talking with a couple of employees, I checked out. The cashier looked a little askance (sp?) at me, but having seen me many times before continued with the transaction. Behind me in line was a father and his three children. They were quite interested in my dog and gave her treats, too. One of the children asked, "Are you a cop?" I answered, "No."

Once outside, the children wanted to give my dog more treats and more treats. The little boy asked, "Why do you have a gun?" His father said, "Because it's one of our amendment rights." We talked awhile and then he headed his children off to a local park with the frisbee he had just bought to keep them entertained while their mother cleaned house.

Walking back to Starbucks, I met a friend who was going to the Post Office. We talked awhile and she crossed the street and went in (and I studiously stayed away). I then thought of something else to ask here and waited on the planter in front of Starbucks. A bunch of Girl Scouts had just set up some tables and were selling cookies with their mothers. Some came up and gave my dog treats. Another mother sat down in a nearby chair and talked awhile.

When my friend came out of the Post Office, I talked with her briefly, bid the mother who sat in a nearby chair farewell, and got in my car and drove home.

SsevenN

imported post

Thanks for sharing! I always enjoy an "Uneventful" tale about Open Carry! Thanks for taking up the banner of liberty and being part of the cause!