• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rack the slide?

hardballer

imported post

Max wrote:
In the event someone ripped your firearm off of you, it may be very advantageous to have an empty chamber and the safety engaged. With a bit of practice you could remedy those two situations very quickly makeing your firearm ready to go. For a guy that ripped your sidearm off of you, it would him/her considerably more time to remedy those situations which would give you time to react OR get your cell phone out and call 911. :)
If you could, please site one instance of this happening to an open carrier. Just one please.

I don't think a person should modify their safety due to the incredibly remote chance that what you described might happen. If that were the case, then why would you even step out of the house. Heck a meteorite might hit you.

My post here is solely to illustrate what I do. What you do is entirely up to you.

Just be sure you practice racking the slide till your fingers fall off. When seconds count, you do not want to have fumble fingers.

xenophon

imported post

jpm84092 wrote:
One of the most frustrating times I had in Wisconsin was when Dictator Doyle vetoed conceal carry legislation and then on a-hole changed his vote so the over-ride would fail. Dictator Doyle appears to not be running so I encourage all of my former neighbors and friends to let the new candidates know that you are going to throw your money and support behind a 2nd Amendment candidate. Talk to your legislators about reviving concealed carry. :D
Yeah, open carry is our only way here, thanks to ole Sherman. Back stabber. Anyways, they had their chance to make training mandatory for carrying. As it is, none required for me to go about as long as I open carry, and stay away from school zones and those other few gotchas.

Would that bill have allowed you to pass within the 1000 ft boundary of schools?

Anyways, it's getting warmer out, and I'll be carrying soon enough on a few trips. I just might go visit Walmart or Starbucks next time I run errands and have a stroll.

I also bought a Flip Ultra HD today for some other uses, but I think I might just bring it along in case.

M

McX

imported post

my intent at all times is to be innocent of instigation. therefor i carry at condition 3. i will rack one in as a final warning to an emerging threat of my intent to defend. it is truly the resort of last resorts.

ffemt1079

imported post

McX wrote:
my intent at all times is to be innocent of instigation. therefor i carry at condition 3. i will rack one in as a final warning to an emerging threat of my intent to defend. it is truly the resort of last resorts.
You make a good point McX. Not as intimidating as racking a round in a shotgun, but basically the same principal. I hadn't thought about using the sidearm in the same way.

M

McX

imported post

i know there are those who would dispute my readiness, but i can draw and rack in one motion. again, i stand on, and would endure under oath; i was innocent of instigation, i gave the criminal every opportunity to disengage from the event. i had NO CHOICE! I will be able to sleep at night, and stand before God and be judged on my actions.

oak1971

imported post

I have only OC'd around the neighborhood. If I took my show on the road, I would use one of my revolvers instead of the Glock I tote around when walking the dog. Easier for me to deal with the load unload garbage we are forced to do.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

If you have time to draw, you will have time to rack the slide. Any "threat" will have their firearm concealed until they are in the act of using it. At that time if they are already danger close to you, they will have likely seen your holstered firearm. If the fact that you are armed is not a deterent to them drawing their firearm, you will likely be subject to one of the top rules of a gunfight. That rule being:

Incoming fire has the right of way....;)

hardballer

imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
If you have time to draw, you will have time to rack the slide. Any "threat" will have their firearm concealed until they are in the act of using it. At that time if they are already danger close to you, they will have likely seen your holstered firearm. If the fact that you are armed is not a deterent to them drawing their firearm, you will likely be subject to one of the top rules of a gunfight. That rule being:

Roger that.

Fortunately you will also have obeyed rule number one for gun fights... have a gun.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

hardballer wrote:

Roger that.

Fortunately you will also have obeyed rule number one for gun fights... have a gun.
I think that it goes without saying. Don't bring a cell phone to a gun fight....:)

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I think that it goes without saying. Don't bring a cell phone to a gun fight....:)
Actually you ought to bring a cell phone. Not ONLY a cell phone, of course-- but a cell phone in addition to a gun. We had a discussion of the very topic this week at the civilian combat league. There have been actual cases when a someone has pulled a gun on a perpetrator-- who then called 911 reporting the good guy for pulling a gun. You want YOUR phone call to get there first otherwise you may be made to look like the bad guy. Having a phone on you will allow you to do that.

Additionally, don't assume you'll come out of an attack unhurt. You (or someone) may need medical aid. Calling your lawyer might also be prudent.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Not ONLY a cell phone, of course-- but a cell phone in addition to a gun.

Obvious to the most casual observer.....:dude:

It is too bad that people are out there who believe a cell phone to be sufficient... it is job security for violent criminals...:?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Not ONLY a cell phone, of course-- but a cell phone in addition to a gun.

Obvious to the most casual observer.....:dude:

It is too bad that people are out there who believe a cell phone to be sufficient... it is job security for violent criminals...:?
Yes, I'm very happy that Mayor Barrett volunteered to set an example of what happens to people who rely solely on a cell phone.

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." -- Al Capone (Now strike out "kind word" and insert "cell phone.")

Max

imported post

I cannot cite any example of the hypothetical scenario I described as actually happening. Can you cite an example that actually happened where an open carrier was shot specifically because he had to rack the slide, had he not, he would not have been shot?

There are advantages and disadvantages no matter how the weapon is carried depending on the situation. To each their own.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Max wrote:
I cannot cite any example of the hypothetical scenario I described as actually happening. Can you cite an example that actually happened where an open carrier was shot specifically because he had to rack the slide, had he not, he would not have been shot?

There are advantages and disadvantages no matter how the weapon is carried depending on the situation. To each their own.
I don't know if anyone can point to an actual case of that happening. To each their own is correct!

I prefer the gun ready to fire the moment it leaves the holster. To chamber a round as part of the draw is necessarily slowing the process down. No matter how fast you can draw and rack the slide, it is impossible for you to be as fast or faster by adding that extra step than you would be without it. Even if you could do it in an amazing 10th of a second, it's a 10th of a second longer than without having to do it. I will take every advantage it's possible for me to have. Even small advantages can add up and make the difference between winning and losing. Yes every advantage must be weighed against some possible drawback tied to it. But it seems to me that winning a gunfight is pretty simple: First guy to get shots on target as the better odds of winning. Now there's a lot of variations and considerations as to how to achieve being the "first" and "on target." But I don't think many people will disagree that is the key to winning.

Whether one is in a slightly better position in regards to the legal ramifications of drawing your gun by having no round chambered seems like a microscopic consideration. I doubt the courts will make a great, or for that matter, any distinction between drawing a gun with no round chambered, versus a gun with a chambered round. Hell, people get convicted every day for armed robbery when they have a finger in their coat pocket and no real gun. It's the same as if they actually had a gun from the legal standpoint. If you cannot justify your gun out of the holster, it should not be out of the holster. Period. If it is justified to be drawn, then it ought to be ready to go at that very moment if need be-- in my opinion.

Finally, any real or imagined legal advantage to carrying a gun without a round in the chamber is moot if you are dead.

xenophon

imported post

Shotgun wrote

I don't know if anyone can point to an actual case of that happening. To each their own is correct!

I prefer the gun ready to fire the moment it leaves the holster. To chamber a round as part of the draw is necessarily slowing the process down. No matter how fast you can draw and rack the slide, it is impossible for you to be as fast or faster by adding that extra step than you would be without it. Even if you could do it in an amazing 10th of a second, it's a 10th of a second longer than without having to do it. I will take every advantage it's possible for me to have. Even small advantages can add up and make the difference between winning and losing. Yes every advantage must be weighed against some possible drawback tied to it. But it seems to me that winning a gunfight is pretty simple: First guy to get shots on target as the better odds of winning. Now there's a lot of variations and considerations as to how to achieve being the "first" and "on target." But I don't think many people will disagree that is the key to winning.

I bought a Glock specifically because I didn't want any external safeties to deal with. In a urgent need to use it, I don't want to fool around with safeties or racking, or pressing up, down, up, down, left, right, etc etc, on the gun. Just 1 trigger pull equals 1 bang, is what I want to see.

I suppose I'll just have to invest in a good caliper, be discreet when I rack or "unrack" if you will, to unload, and park a bit aways from the high traffic areas. At least until I get a feel for things.

hardballer

imported post

Just make sure your cell phone is in silent mode for your next gun fight. You don't want to have "The Ride of the Valkyries" to blast out your location.

RNITOVR

imported post

One thing that hasn't been discussed is the possiblity that you don't have another hand to rack with. In a close hand to hand situation, you might be pushing off and drawing at the same time...or holding a door shut, or pulling yourself back to your feet, severe knife wound, or who know's what!

Para LTC in condition 1.

Lurchiron

imported post

hardballer wrote:
Just make sure your cell phone is in silent mode for your next gun fight. You don't want to have "The Ride of the Valkyries" to blast out your location.
Hey...speak for yourself :lol::dude::D...