• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO/OPEN CARRY Joint Charity Get-together

Hunting Mama

Not deep enough in the Woods, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

For what my 2 cents are worth, I think this would be a great idea. Education is the number one way that we can get the word out that we are law abiding citizens and who better to do it with than LE?

Even if you can't tell the difference between the LEO's and "us" at this get together, the word we are trying to get out will still spread from those who attend. I understand that being able to differentiate between the 2 groups would be great for photo ops, but the overall good would still be achieved.

My 2 cents is that it would be worth a try, especially if doing it as a charity function.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
Support The 2nd wrote:
OK:

It looks like many here would be on board. The question is, can WR come through on his end? Would LEO actually get behind such a thing and walk side-by-side with us?

I would like to think so (for a good cause, like a fallen officers fund or something) but my thinking is the LEOs will be few and far between.
I did not want to be the first to say that... yup, there will be 100 + Open Carriers & maybe 3 LEO ( Max ).....I am not including the 15 cops parked down the street in Cruisers....:?
You hit the nail right on the head Glock34. They have no interest in working with us or supporting our rights. More likely their interest is to video or photograph anyone of us that would make a mistake or do anything that would look to the general public that we are a danger to society.

Let them go have their own picnic. We do not need them.

Oh that's right they do have their own picnic down in Milwaukee. That is the one where they do all the car surfing, drugs, prostitution, having sex in public and anything else they feel like doing. Who's going to call the cops? They are all at the party! Their annual get together in Milwaukee is common knowledge and the corrupt behavior has been in the media many times over. Is this what we want to be associated with?

Not me!

M

McX

imported post

the police's job is to enforce the law, our 'job' is to protect ourselves. it's nice to meet in the middle......................but......................

hardballer

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
Support The 2nd wrote:
OK:

It looks like many here would be on board. The question is, can WR come through on his end? Would LEO actually get behind such a thing and walk side-by-side with us?

I would like to think so (for a good cause, like a fallen officers fund or something) but my thinking is the LEOs will be few and far between.
I did not want to be the first to say that... yup, there will be 100 + Open Carriers & maybe 3 LEO ( Max ).....I am not including the 15 cops parked down the street in Cruisers....:?
You hit the nail right on the head Glock34. They have no interest in working with us or supporting our rights. More likely their interest is to video or photograph anyone of us that would make a mistake or do anything that would look to the general public that we are a danger to society.

Let them go have their own picnic. We do not need them.

Oh that's right they do have their own picnic down in Milwaukee. That is the one where they do all the car surfing, drugs, prostitution, having sex in public and anything else they feel like doing. Who's going to call the cops? They are all at the party! Their annual get together in Milwaukee is common knowledge and the corrupt behavior has been in the media many times over. Is this what we want to be associated with?

Not me!
Hmmmmm. . . . . .

You know J. you do have a good point there. When I think of police, I generally still think of the idealized Irish flat foot walking a beat, helping old ladies with their groceries or lecturing a kid about stealing a candy bar.

My Grandfather was that cop. He was an Irish flatfoot, navy veteran of WWII who eventually became one of the most feared cops in Buffalo New York. He did not suffer fools nor those bent on evil deeds. He was a precinct captain of one of the toughest Precincts in Buffalo New York and was famous for cleaning it up.

I am sorry for those cops who have lost their way because what they are supposed to do is honorable and moral and right. Protect the weak and innocent and take the bad guys off the streets.

Somewhere along the way, they have lost their way and some of them have become the bad guys. I'm not sure we should toss them all into the same hat but that does happen. I know personally, that I have far less trust in them today then when I was a kid.

I do see J.'s point. Maybe it is best to let sleeping dogs lie and just go on about our business with heads held high.

I will always support good cops and like my Granddad. Bad cops should be booted by their own fellowship. Bad cops taint all cops.

hardballer

imported post

This still does not mean that getting together is a bad idea. Anyone who is afraid of having their picture taken with a gun should avoid Walmart, Best Buy, etc. If you're afraid to talk with a cop, well. . . perhaps you should leave that smoke wagon at home.

I believe that continuing in an adversarial relationship with the states several police and sheriff's departments is counter productive and we need to find ways of easing the fear that we all are feeling.

The cops are reacting out of fear of losing power, injury or death. We are fearful of abuse and harassment.

Lets figure this out.

SAK

imported post

I've had extremely positive experiences with police, like when two officers in Chicago flagged me down because of my pro-gun bumper stickers (no lights/sirens - just pulled up next to me and waved) because they wanted to say "hey that's awesome - we totally agree" sort of thing.

I've also had extremely negative experiences with police, numerous ones, and all revolved around hardballer's mention of modern police losing touch with community policing and problem-solving, and embracing statutory pencil-effing whenever citizens don't behave like the rest of today's sheeple (ie. exercising your rights!).

I've learned a lot from it, though. You guys have hit the home run in Wisconsin by sticking together. One person gets harassed/arrested, everyone pulls together. I've had financial support from people in Illinois, and COUNTLESS individuals giving their support - which still continues to this day - but we haven't yet mustered up the physical bodily support like you have up there.

You've set a fine example for the entire country, so keep it up. I will do everything and anything I can to help.

Best advice when dealing with police: don't be alone. Second best: community should assemble, "circle the wagons" when something happens. Third best: keep dialogues and keep finding ways to educate police and make friends within the ranks.

LEOs are human beings too, and some can be VERY resistant to change. We were talking last night about a way to soften that up and help ease the transition to Right to Carry by communicating with the police.

For example, with the help of volunteers and PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN, it's really easy. We're compiling a list of ALL LEO offices in Wisconsin and Illinois. We will start communicating with them on a regular basis and let them know what's happening with right to carry, ideas on how we can avoid clashes, how we can work together, etc.

http://www.icarry.org/ftopict-2542.html

Final and most important advice when it comes to exercising your rights. Don't ever let intimidation or fear stop you. If someone has proposed an idea on a police/open-carrier fundraiser event, then embrace it. Go for it. I will volunteer to help coordinate the thing myself. I've been arrested plenty of times - I'm not afraid of it. Don't be either. Worst thing you can do is decide not to take a positive, proactive approach out of fear.

We were talking about doing a fundraiser for police down here about a year ago. I'd love to help out with one up in Wisconsin.

Hunting Mama

Not deep enough in the Woods, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Valid points all around.

I think the LEO's are trying to break a "bad habit" right now. The winds are slowly changing and all they are used to is BG's carrying, not the good guys. I have a relative in LE and when the standard has been that only BG's carry and are a threat, it is not unreasonable for them to have a delay in reaction to something so out of their norm.

Don't get me wrong here - there are "left-wingers" in every group that go way overboard, but with positive communication and education we will turn things right around.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Yeah, I have no interest in doing any fund raiser to help Police Officers.
Why so they can raise more money to spend on harassing us?

Come on! This whole be passive and turn the other cheek stuff doesn't work and you all know it.

Gee, do any of you think that the officers that harassed Frank were worried that maybe he was just misunderstood? Some how I doubt that. All they wanted to do is make an example out of someone so who ever was shooting the raccoons in the neighborhood would see it and get the point.

Do you think the cop from facebook who wants to round us all up and shoot us could use a fundraiser?

How about if we are going to do any fund raising we do it for ourselves. WCI has the right idea! We need to fight on.

I can tell you just how egotistical cops can be, in the last week I have really gotten an eye opener and I can honestly say that they will say one thing to your face and say and do other things behind your back in an effort to make your life miserable.

Don't take my word for it, I'm just sayin...

But don't count on me to do any fund raising for any cops either.
I would rather spend the time raising funds for our own cause, not theirs.

hardballer

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Yeah, I have no interest in doing any fund raiser to help Police Officers.
Why so they can raise more money to spend on harassing us?"

J., The fund raiser idea was not to raise funds for the cops. DUH! But rather for a worthy charity like a children's charity or a charity for animal rescue etc. Oh. . . DUH!
Come on! This whole be passive and turn the other cheek stuff doesn't work and you all know it.

Gee, do any of you think that the officers that harassed Frank were worried that maybe he was just misunderstood? Some how I doubt that. All they wanted to do is make an example out of someone so who ever was shooting the raccoons in the neighborhood would see it and get the point."

J., No one said anything about turning the other cheek. I think we all agree that if "they" step out of line, we sue the pants off of them. We splash it all over the media and internet as completely as possible. No one here said anything about turning the other cheek. Again, DUH!

hardballer

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Do you think the cop from facebook who wants to round us all up and shoot us could use a fundraiser?

You are at this point, worse then the liberal fixated media with your hyperbolic rhetoric. No one here wants a fund raiser for any cop who wants to shoot us. What is wrong with you J. Why would you say something so insensitive? Really?
J.Gleason wrote:
How about if we are going to do any fund raising we do it for ourselves. WCI has the right idea! We need to fight on.

I can tell you just how egotistical cops can be, in the last week I have really gotten an eye opener and I can honestly say that they will say one thing to your face and say and do other things behind your back in an effort to make your life miserable.

Don't take my word for it, I'm just sayin...

But don't count on me to do any fund raising for any cops either.
I would rather spend the time raising funds for our own cause, not theirs.

I Just don't think we should continue in an antagonistic relationship with police just because you are afraid of them J.

Again, I think we should continue to press our rights in court and in the media at every oportunity. I also think we should be working over time on informing, and training cops in the new enlightened ways of treating those of us who choose to open carry.

What's your take? Gun battles at dawn?
I'm just sayin'

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Oh duh! when you have been involved a little longer then you can come back with your smart little remarks.

I don't need you to point out anything to me. You have been around here on this forum since January and your going to tell me how it works. Oh duh!

Look Homer, maybe you are all trusting but that does not mean that we all have to be.

Go on ahead and have your little fund raiser and see how much recognition it gets you.

As far as us training them in anything, that is not our job. They have been informed of the AG's memo. It is up to their individual departments to train them not us. I don't know where you got that idea from, maybe you have been watching to much TV or reading to many comic books.

When your all disappointed and your feelings are hurt come on back so I can say I told you so.

No matter what you do with the LEO they will still be around to "harass and reject."
They even do it to their own kind. It doesn't have as much to do with education as you may think, it is more of an ego problem.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Oh duh! when you have been involved a little longer then you can come back with your smart little remarks.

I don't need you to point out anything to me. You have been around here on this forum since January and your going to tell me how it works. Oh duh! ....
The amount of common sense a man possesses has nothing to do with the amount of time he has been a member of this forum. Right now, Hardballer is showing a lot of common sense and I'm with him. Geez, get real; why should I fear picnicking with the cops, unless I'm afraid of changing the status quo?

Dave