• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time firing a handgun today, and found my new love

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Today March 5th, 2010, I fired my first handgun.

Met up gogodawgs at champion arms, and watched him blast off a round on his sig (forgot the name) .40. I was scared indeed, looked pretty powerful. Hell the gun still scares me.

gogodawgs blasted off a mag, and then he handed it to me. It was kaawazzzzyyyyyy!!!! :celebrate

What a blast, although I would love it if it had something that would grip better. I could feel it sort of sliding in my hand.

Thanks gogodawgs, for letting fire my first handgun!!!!

Then Aryk45XD came along with his mosquito and XD .40. Bigger bang, but his XD was choking. Less kick than the sig .40, but "looked" crazier.

Although the mosquito did look funny, everytime he fired it a "plop" of smoke went up reminded me of a fart.

But then...he went to the front and brought back....my new love.

The springfield 1911 9mm.

Holy cow, I am in freakin love with that gun, I love the recoil and I love the feel of it and I LOVE IT!!! Picture below is 12-14 yards with it, and I LOVE IT!!!

Also tried,
colt 1911- poop, springfield kicks its butt
s&w m&p 9mm, I like this second to 1911.
ruger sr9.... The second I held it, I didn't like it. After I fired it I didn't even know where the shots went.... missed....:shock:

All in all, it was a great day, too bad gogodawgs mellowed out and left early, I think he was bored of watching the noobs shoot. (indoor ranges suck!)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Glad you had fun Poo! Mine is the Sig.229!

IMG_0207.jpg

kito109654

imported post

1st CONGRATS!

2nd You like the 9mm. Me too. And I feel the same way about the SF 1911 in 9mm. It's a beautiful thing.

You mentioned the XD was choking...malfunctioning?

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

I think gogodawgs could explain it in pro terms, there were some FTFs and one round got stuck coming out? Iono, it was enough that it was put away for the rest of the visit. I think they were saying something about firing pin being too short?

FMCDH

imported post

A SIG is a pretty beefy grip Poo, and by the pictures I have seen of you, you probably have smaller than "average" hands. Its gonna squirm if you cant get a full grip on it, so most SIGs may not be for you, especially if they fitted with one of many of the custom grips that are available for them.

Glad you found one that felt right. I think we all look for that, the pistol that feels like an extension of the arm and hand....one that just feels so natural you could shoot it all day long.

M&Ps are great for that. I love the feel of the M&Ps and that's my primary everyday carry with the CTC grips that just so happen to fit my hands so near perfect, but my SIG 226 is my favorite all around, because no SA/DA beats a SIG trigger. :cool:

For that reason, I'm glad I got big hands, and so is my wife....well...for another reason. ;)

mixedpre

imported post

That's tight man, It was my first time shooting a gun today also. I purchased a glock 22 (40 cal) in the summer and my brother just pick up a 9m today, so we went to the range in kent today and mann I was surprise on how loud guns are. I shoot my 40 and I was shocked at power, but other then that It's a good gun, then I shot my brother 9m and it's like butter. I notice your poster, that good for your first time. keep it up.

DaemonForce

imported post

If all goes well this week I'll be going out to the local firing range this weekend.

Anyway for a first time shooter you at least managed to hit the paper. You unload 108 rounds and only 7 of them manage to accurately hit the fine target. You alsomanaged to completelymiss the one in the box. :?

That poster sucks.

I approve. :)

I wonder if the range next to Widco is still open and I wonder if it's easy to get ahold of some of these badass looking target papers. Does anyone still use Dillinger posters or are we all about the phony shadow figure and the terrorist guy targets these days? It's odd but I've never actually taken the time to think about this before.

Aryk45XD

imported post

I wanted to molest that SA1911, but the 9mm really surprised me. I fell in love all over again, again. Poosharker shot really good overall. I didn't like the SR9 either just from holding it, but I had to try it anyway. It was good to try out a few. Always glad to go shooting and meet up with others. My XD was choking in a crazy way. If anybody has something meaningful to say about this, please do. Today after I put the firedragon conversion (which only puts a very small dent in the primer after the first 200rns) it did the same to a few 40rnds. Seemed to shoot a few 13rndrs fine after that. So do I send it in to get fixed or get it upgraded. It's had a few thousand rnds and never did this to a 40 before.

Edit to add: Welcome to the forum Mixedpre. Oh, and I have never shot at a silhouette target.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Congrats Poo, I was thinking about getting the SF 9 mill 1911 too. That way Jarhead can quit making fun of my glock.:p

It is such a pretty gun. I haven't shot one yet though.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Poosharker wrote:

But then...he went to the front and brought back....my new love.

The springfield 1911 9mm.

Holy cow, I am in freakin love with that gun, I love the recoil and I love the feel of it and I LOVE IT!!! Picture below is 12-14 yards with it, and I LOVE IT!!!

Hey Poo does yourlady know about this, LOL.Fair warningyou will soon very soon become a polygamistand love severalpistols.

Batousaii

imported post

hehe - yes, the wonders of poly gun love, i too am involved in said style of firearms relationships. Poo, grats on your first shoot, it's always very fun. Glad to hear you like the 1911, really is a great design. Wait till you try the classic .45 1911, really lets ya know you sent one down range, thought, i do like 9mm too. Sounds like you had fun :D

Mixeprd, welcome to the forum, and grats to you too on a good first shoot ;)

Bat

1245A Defender

imported post

poo,,, you should shoot about 50! different guns before you fall in love with one,,, kinda like woman;)

youve gotta get yours as a gift,, you need to look at inexpensive GIFTS look at Hi Points too and 380 autos, pa63 makarovs.

they all feel differant in the hand, DA/SA, SA only not my favorite, DEcockers, external safetys , no safeties at all.
there are so many different models, not to mention the calibers, and the prices asked for new, verses used, verses milsurp.
you need to go shoot more and alot to find the right choice,,, take your time!

Lammo

imported post

Batousaii wrote:
hehe - yes, the wonders of poly gun love, i too am involved in said style of firearms relationships. Poo, grats on your first shoot, it's always very fun. Glad to hear you like the 1911, really is a great design. Wait till you try the classic .45 1911, really lets ya know you sent one down range, thought, i do like 9mm too. Sounds like you had fun :D

Bat
I guess we'd have to call that "polyarmory" (if you don't get it, Google "polyamory").

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Lammo wrote:
Batousaii wrote:

Bat
I guess we'd have to call that "polyarmory" (if you don't get it, Google "polyamory").
I get it and that's funny right there.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Thanks all, it was a great shoot, was surprised we were there for 3 hrs. I want to try out the G26, but so far, for the moneys worth I really like the M&P and I am digging the lifetime warranty also.

Here's a pic of Aryk45XD with his mosquito and "silencer" aka compensator, he thinks he's :cool: with it, but the gun still reminds me of a fart.

Mech

imported post

My SIG 226 indeed has a pretty beefy grip...when I first handled it in the store I wasn't sure if I could get a good firm grip on it in a short amount of time, without having to move my hands all over the place to secure the grip.
One things that I have found to dramatically improve my grip is to install the Hogue grips with finger grooves; they feel more sticky than the stock grips (+1), and the grooves help my fingers go where they should (+2). If you're looking into getting a SIG in the future I'd highly recommend getting the Hogue grips.

EDIT: and CONGRATS on your first shoots, Poo! I remember my first day shooting a few years back; I shot a Kimber 1911, and when I first laid hands on that baby, I had to take a few breaths to steady myself because I was so excited (and a few parts nervous, understandably). Welcome to this fun, addicting, and empowering sport!

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Hell Poo, you don't have enough experience yet to claim a favorite. You need to add "..so far" after that statement cause there are sooo many better ones out there to be tried.

Yes, the P229 is a beefy grip, my experience is that the P226 is a touch slimmer.

M&P's are sweet (alas I am devoted to Glock for the plastic guns though :()

You want exciting? Try an M&P340 snub .357 with full power loads.

HK P7's have a real nice feel to them and are unique with their squeeze-cocker design.

The gun world is your oyster....

tyguy808

imported post

At least this guy tried out several types, styles and calibers. This is a video I shot a couple weeks ago at the gravel pit where I am am having that clean up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpkZH4ryXwo

1. Ruger MarkIII (.22 LR)
2. Taurus PT145 M.P. (.45 ACP)
3. Walther (P22?) (.22 LR)
4. Luger (??) (.357MAG/38SPC alternated)
5. XD40 (.40 S&W)
6. DPMS Panther (.223 Remington) We removed the Eotech (sighting in trouble)

In the background (baby's uncle)
1. Remington 30-.06
2. Mossberg 500 in 20 Gauge

Trigger Dr

imported post

All that rapid fire can be described with two words...Ballistic masturbation!:)

tyguy808

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
All that rapid fire can be described with two words...Ballistic masturbation!:)

AMEN Brother!!! We had a great day. Probably 12-1500 rounds throughout the day! All calibers. Several joiners, from other parties at the pit! One guy let me pop one of his Tannerite jars, oh MAN!!!!!!