• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grad School Project...

Dreamer

imported post

I've decided to do a little index-card sized "mini broadside" for one of my classes. I'm going to print it letterpress, in 2 colors. It is printed on front and back.

I think the instructor will like it (he's pro-2A) but this might be one of those things that could get me kicked out if I stand in the "quad" handing them out to other students...

What do y'all think?...

old dog

imported post

That does it, fella!

How dare you have an unapproved thought? It's off to the re-education camp for you.

Theguy

imported post

Normally I'm not one of the most politically correct people, but I would suggest that you change "gays" to homosexuals, and "blacks" to African Americans, simply to keep people from focusing on that and ignoring the content.

it is my experience that given small things like that to fuss over, many people will use that as an excuse to ignore the point you're trying to make

I'm gonna go take about 15 showers, I feel dirty now.

MatieA

imported post

Theguy wrote:
Normally I'm not one of the most politically correct people, but I would suggest that you change "gays" to homosexuals, and "blacks" to African Americans, simply to keep people from focusing on that and ignoring the content.

it is my experience that given small things like that to fuss over, many people will use that as an excuse to ignore the point you're trying to make

Well, I'm not sure I agree with you. Many of the blacks that I know do NOT wish to be called african-american as they are not dual citizens, they are black americans!

Archsgurl

imported post

I like it and you could also add to your list Veterans, for gays I would say Homosexuals like someone suggested, for blacks -- use African Americans only because that is the ethnic term used on alot of gov't forms, so it is more politically correct. (I am not for PO, I think it has derailed us from true issues, but for this case, it would help more than hinder).

Pace

imported post

If any public university kicks you out for distributing this, you have a donation to your fund to sue them.

Dreamer

imported post

OK, I'll take the PC advice to heart, and change some of the words I used.

However, I don't think the term "African Americans" really applies to this card, because I don't think there were many "African Americans" in Castro's Cuba, Hitler's Germany, Amin's Uganda, or Kim Jong Il's North Korea...

So what is the PC term for people of African decent who DON'T live in the USA?...

Should I use "People of African Decent" instead?

rpyne

imported post

Political Correctness is for mindless sheep.

I would prefer homosexual over gay just because I am disgusted by the continued perversion of our language.

Archsgurl

imported post

I agree that PC is for mindless sheep but he plans to hand out those little cards and they will jump anything that they find offensive and completely miss the message he is trying to point out. So in this case, PC is the way to cut the "wah wah you hate my group of people with your offensive term" crap and hopefully a few of them will walk away with the message that gun control is what dictators want to keep their people prisoners.

Theguy

imported post

Archsgurl wrote:
I agree that PC is for mindless sheep but he plans to hand out those little cards and they will jump anything that they find offensive and completely miss the message he is trying to point out. So in this case, PC is the way to cut the "wah wah you hate my group of people with your offensive term" crap and hopefully a few of them will walk away with the message that gun control is what dictators want to keep their people prisoners.

+1

this is the point I was trying to make

I still feel ill over being "the voice of political correctness" in this discussion

Diesel-n-Lead

imported post

MatieA wrote:
Theguy wrote:

Well, I'm not sure I agree with you. Many of the blacks that I know do NOT wish to be called african-american as they are not dual citizens, they are black americans!
Yep. Call someone from Jamaica an "African American" and see what they say about it.

Theguy

imported post

Diesel-n-Lead wrote:
MatieA wrote:
Theguy wrote:

Yep. Call someone from Jamaica an "African American" and see what they say about it.

thank you for illustrating my point so effectively, this is exactly what I was hoping to prevent with the OP, just taken to the opposite end of the spectrum, you are getting worked up over terminology, and (appear to be) ignoring the content of the post. This is exactly the sort of thing that could happen if Dreamer had presented the project as-is

Diesel-n-Lead

imported post

Theguy wrote:
Diesel-n-Lead wrote:
MatieA wrote:
Theguy wrote:

thank you for illustrating my point so effectively, this is exactly what I was hoping to prevent with the OP, just taken to the opposite end of the spectrum, you are getting worked up over terminology, and (appear to be) ignoring the content of the post. This is exactly the sort of thing that could happen if Dreamer had presented the project as-is
The "Point of the original post" was covered amply by others: 1.) Great document, 2.) If it gets you kicked out, sue them. I was merely echoing agreement to a rather small sub-point of the discussion. "Yep" is a term of casual agreement, as opposed to "Hell Yeah!" or "Damn Straight!" If you'd like to get me "worked up" I can give you a list of topics which really torque my lug nuts. ;) Probably not appropriate for this board though.

To stay on topic, I applaud the dissemination of pro-2A, hell pro-Bill Of Rights for that matter, philosophies in universities.

"The philosophy of the classroom today will be the philosophy of government tomorrow" - Abraham Lincoln

Theguy

imported post

Diesel-n-Lead wrote:
Theguy wrote:
Diesel-n-Lead wrote:
MatieA wrote:
Theguy wrote:

The "Point of the original post" was covered amply by others: 1.) Great document, 2.) If it gets you kicked out, sue them. I was merely echoing agreement to a rather small sub-point of the discussion. "Yep" is a term of casual agreement, as opposed to "Hell Yeah!" or "Damn Straight!" If you'd like to get me "worked up" I can give you a list of topics which really torque my lug nuts. ;) Probably not appropriate for this board though.

To stay on topic, I applaud the dissemination of pro-2A, hell pro-Bill Of Rights for that matter, philosophies in universities.

"The philosophy of the classroom today will be the philosophy of government tomorrow" - Abraham Lincoln
I apologize if you took offense, I'm kinda sleep deprived right now

Diesel-n-Lead

imported post

Theguy wrote:
Diesel-n-Lead wrote:
Theguy wrote:
Diesel-n-Lead wrote:
MatieA wrote:
Theguy wrote:

I apologize if you took offense, I'm kinda sleep deprived right now
:) No worries. The only people who offend me are the ones who would try to disarm me. Love the HAL9000 icon BTW.

Dreamer

imported post

You know, the funny thing is, if I do get any flack for passing these cards around, it probably won't be for their pro-2A message. My university, like MOST universities, does not recognize the validity of ANY of the Bill of Rights articles on campus. Passsing these out, outside the bounds of an "approved activity" or in any place that is outside of the "approved Commons" is technically a violation of school policiy...

I don't understand how State schools can get away with these policies. They are NOT private property. They receive State and Federal funding, are regulated by the State and the Feds, and as such, SHOULD be bound to the same level of Constitutionality in their policies as any other "Public institution".

But for some reason, the Universities of our Nation are for all intents and purposes, "Constitutional Rights Free Zones", where neither the 1A, 2A, 4A, 7A or 8A are recognized in any meaningful manner...

This project isn't really as much about the 2A as it is about the 1A. The 2A subject matter is really just "icing on the cake."

Since I'm actually printing it on a letterpress, and the images will be OBVIOUSLY printed on a press (not photocopied or printed from a computer), I think I have a VERY solid "Freedom of the Press" stand.

Hopefully, it will cause "buzz" among the students, but won't really show up on the administration's radar. Art students get a fair amount of leeway when it comes to printed materials, and being a Graphic Design MFA candidate with a focus on Printmaking means that ALL my work is going to ultimately have 1A implications.

I may not actually hand them out to peoplem but rather post them up on the "public boards" around campus. I think that more people would actually see them that way, and they might cause more of a stir that way. The people who like them (or hate them) will pull them down and keep them after a few days anyway.

So this is really an experiment in the powers of the Free Press, public reactions to art, and on some level, guerilla PR. It's sort of a form of "disposable graffiti". The pro-2A message is really secondary to the experiment in meme-manipulation and the "democratization of art".

If I get people asking to go to the range with me on the weekends from this, I'll be thrilled. If I get people threatening me because they don't like it, I'll be even more thrilled. If it generates an anti-2A demonstration or other organized reaction, I'll be ecstatic, because this is just the first volley in a whole series of similar projects I'm planning, and to be honest, this one is outright TAME compared to some of the ideas I'm working on.

Words, discussion, statistics and reports are all fine and well, but if you REALLY want to get people's attention, you need to appeal to their aesthetic sensibilites. I believe that art is the most powerful tool for social change--even more powerful than speech, literature, or journalism. This project is sort of a "proof of concept" for what may end up being my Thesis, if it is successful. And I am considering EITHER reaction--Pro or Con--to be a success if it is public, loud, and passionate.

BTW, I've uploaded the updated pics, in the OP...

Scrub

imported post

Please let me know when you are going to post these on campus. I am in Greenville regularly, and I would love to follow in the background and see what the reactions are from the ECU students when they go up.