• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alternative to an Alabama Permit

Vondelta

imported post

Since I have seen several posts, and had the experience myself, of uppity Sheriffs revoking permits for crap reasons, consider a Florida non-resident license. It costs $117, but is good for 7 years. Florida is a shall issue state, Alabama DOES have reciprosity with Florida, and will honor non-resident licenses. I believe that this will solve many people's issues with their Sheriff. I am ordering mine as soon as I return from Iraq. I got my information from www.handgunlaw.us. What a wonderful site.:D

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/FORMS/FormsRequest790.html

REB

imported post

This has been discussed before. If you live in Alabama then you must have an Alabama permit.

Section 13A-11-85[/b]

Reciprocity for licenses issued in other states.

(a) A person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect in that state to a license issued under the laws of the State of Alabama shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state. This section shall apply to a licenseholder from another state only while the licenseholder is not a resident of this state. A licenseholder from another state shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

Slidell Jim

imported post

The Florida non-res permit is popular. It does cost less, has more reciprocity(or about the same) , fewer requirements/prerequisites, and a longer expiration time. And if you are in FL, is covers more than firearms (i.e. stun guns and knifes). But look closer at the previous post and you might find that If you are a resident of Al, you must get an AL permit.

I found this quote from Florida Dept of Licensing, maybe their website is not up to date with the latest laws.
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html stated:
(5) The Attorney General's Office of the State of ALABAMA has indicated that Alabama will honor BOTH resident and non-resident Florida licenses. However, the Alabama Attorney General notes that there is some uncertainty as to the limits of Alabama's reciprocity law as it pertains to non-resident licenses. Pending clarification by the Alabama Legislature or a decision by an Alabama court, he urges non-resident Florida license holders to exercise caution. Refer to the Alabama AG's Web page for the latest information.

I recently ran into the same thing with Louisiana. The way the law stands today March 6th, I CAN be a La resident and use a FL non-res permit here in La. I was told this week, from a fairly knowledgable NRA instructor, that it will be a matter of time until this issue is revisited, and it might be a waste of my money (it might only be good for a couple weeks or a year or something). The LA State Police tried to close this loophole last year with a "local policy".... The LA Legislature made them retract it because the LSP only thinks they can write the laws, and LA Legislature actually does the law writing. I was told that I should probably just apply for the La resident permit, do the extra paper work & prerequisites (includes CHP class $, medical avidavits, liabilty waivers, divorce decree $, multiple notary visits $$$$) , fork out the extra dough (to the notary, CHP instructor, and the state), and live with the fewer states reciprocating. (I think its fewer, I have not done a side-by-side comparison)

On the otherhand, another knowledgable person, here on OCDO named Turbodog, told me different spin on it. If LA closes the loophole (and If AL already has) that a non-res FL permit would still be good in 30 other states (other than SC, MI, CO, NH and it appears AL). Check out the link above for the full list and specific details on some states. Among those 30 states might be a couple of states that don't have reciprocity with LA (or with AL in your case). He told me that he feels that it is not a waste of my money even if LA (or AL) changed its laws.