• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Post (Canada) - Starbucks following the law on gun carry

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/world/story.html?id=2648634

Starbucks defends in-store gun policy
Following the law

John Nicholson, National Post Published:Saturday, March 06, 2010
2648635.bin

Elaine Thompson, AP Starbucks lets patrons wear guns in its stores where the law allows. Forty-three of the 50 U.S. states have open-carry laws.

John Pierce has been wearing his loaded Glock nine-millimetre on his right hip "anywhere and everywhere" for most of his life, including his twice weekly trips to his local Starbucks in Minnesota.

Mr. Pierce is just one of many gun-toting customers who has placed American Starbucks stores at the centre of a battle over carrying guns in public.

Despite Starbucks' wish that it would rather stay out of this "divisive issue," the company's policy to let customers openly carry weapons in their stores where the law allows it has prompted outrage from the anti-gun lobby.

Starbucks has defended its position by saying it is merely complying with the law.

"We comply with local laws and statutes in all the communities we serve. In this case 43 of the 50 U.S. states have open carry weapon laws," Starbucks said in a press release. "Where these laws don't exist, we comply with laws that prohibit the open carrying of weapons.

"The political, policy and legal debates around these issues belong in the legislatures and courts, not in our stores. Were we to adopt a policy different from local laws allowing open carry, we would be forced to require our partners to ask law-abiding customers to leave our stores, putting our partners in an unfair and potentially unsafe position."

. . .

Mr. Pierce, the co-founder and spokesman for Open- Carry.org,said he felt Starbucks had acted in a manner appropriate for a publicly traded company. "What Starbucks has done here is taken a neutral position," said Mr. Pierce.

wrightme

imported post

It would appear that the Brady Campaign has provided mainstream visibility for a rational view towards the Open Carry of firearms. Maybe we should organize a "thank you" letter writing campaign.

Michigander

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Amazing how much publicity this is generating.

I was talking to my dad this morning, and he said he heard on local news radio station how they were talking about how starbucks is open carry friendly, and how the whole issue started in Virginia.

To my knowledge that is false, because it started in California with the Peets thing, but it definitely proves that word is getting around about it.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Michigander wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Amazing how much publicity this is generating.

I was talking to my dad this morning, and he said he heard on local news radio station how they were talking about how starbucks is open carry friendly, and how the whole issue started in Virginia.

To my knowledge that is false, because it started in California with the Peets thing, but it definitely proves that word is getting around about it.

Actually, I believe your Dad is correct. Here is a link from the Washington Post, dated 7/15/04. Almost six years ago. It made the front page, then.

Guns Worn In Open Legal, But Alarm Va.
'Exercising Right' Called 'Unreasonable' by Some

...In the first episode, at a Starbucks, Fairfax police wrongly confiscated weapons from two college students and charged them with a misdemeanor. Police realized their mistake, returned the guns and tore up the charges the next day. Police commanders have since issued a reminder to officers that "open carry" is the law of the land in the Old Dominion. ...