• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Al Lewis(Denver Post): Starbucks bites the bullet

S

scubabeme

imported post

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_14522280

Brady campaign: "Starbucks is trying to duck the issue"

Lewis: "Um, isn't that what you're supposed do when someone walks into your store with a gun?"

Flood the Post with letters to the editor!!! Tell the "business" writer to stay out of politics--or at least put the article in "opinion" instead of "business!"

Pace

imported post

Someone needs to point out that there are not THAT many people OCing in Starbucks. When is the last time you saw someone?

Suburban78

imported post

I was in the one W Bowles Avenue this morning with the wife and kids while OC'ing. No problems or scared customers. I love how we are made out to gun totting freaks that will shoot every one because are coffee is wrong or how we are so irresponsible that our gun will fall out on the floor or get misplaced. I also like how they make it sound like anyone could just walk up and take our weapon away! I wounder what those people will say when the bad guy walks in and takes their LIFE away. OH, thats right! That never happens, and if it did, the police will stop them in time. Thats their job. But when they are to late, now its the PD's fault for not saving them. WTF happened to personal accountability? We are the crazy one's for being accountable for are safety. They should all have to wear blaze orange so we know who they are, and if you every see them in grave danger! DON'T use our GUN'S to help them because us John Wayne types are just crazy. I need to go throw up now.

Gunslinger

imported post

Better yet, don't buy the rag unless you need to reline your bird cage or have a new puppy. That's all the pos "news" paper is good for. Subscribe to the COS "Gazette" if you want honest reporting and fair editorial stance. Another reason the 'post' is one step from going out of business.

zach

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
Better yet, don't buy the rag unless you need to reline your bird cage or have a new puppy. That's all the pos "news" paper is good for. Subscribe to the COS "Gazette" if you want honest reporting and fair editorial stance. Another reason the 'post' is one step from going out of business.
I agree. I started getting the DP after I moved here because I was so used to getting a paper. Didn't take long to realize it was just floor covering for a welping box.

I added my .02 on the DP site, now it's time to send a letter to the editor.

DocNTexas

imported post

Mr Lewis wrote:

"And who do you think is going to win? The guy who just snatched a gun from your new Second-Amendment-loving customer, or the hippie barista with the cell phone?"

My question to Mr. Lewis is why does he think someone wanting to shoot up a Starbucks would need to "snatch" a gun from one of their new second-amendment-loving customers? Don't you think if they wanted to shoot up a Starbucks they would just bring their OWN gun with them, rather than lerking around the store waiting for someone to come in they could snatch one from?

Mr. Helmke said:

"They are becoming the favorite place of the gun-rights crowd," Helmke said, "that hadn't been there before, and I don't think spend much money.

What? The gun-rights crowd doesn't spend much money? He obviously hasn't checked the price of guns and ammo lately has he (not to mention the cost of coffee at Starbucks). ;)

Doc

Suburban78

imported post

DocNTexas wrote:
Mr Lewis wrote:

"And who do you think is going to win? The guy who just snatched a gun from your new Second-Amendment-loving customer, or the hippie barista with the cell phone?"

My question to Mr. Lewis is why does he think someone wanting to shoot up a Starbucks would need to "snatch" a gun from one of their new second-amendment-loving customers?  Don't you think if they wanted to shoot up a Starbucks they would just bring their OWN gun with them, rather than lerking around the store waiting for someone to come in they could snatch one from?

Mr. Helmke said:

"They are becoming the favorite place of the gun-rights crowd," Helmke said, "that hadn't been there before, and I don't think spend much money.

What? The gun-rights crowd doesn't spend much money?  He obviously hasn't checked the price of guns and ammo lately has he (not to mention the cost of coffee at Starbucks).  ;)

Doc
Well said!

S

scubabeme

imported post

+1 (Besides, NONE of us have EVER been in a Starbucks before, and this is the ONLY reason we are now!)

desettle

imported post

DocNTexas wrote:
Mr Lewis wrote:

My question to Mr. Lewis is why does he think someone wanting to shoot up a Starbucks would need to "snatch" a gun from one of their new second-amendment-loving customers? Don't you think if they wanted to shoot up a Starbucks they would just bring their OWN gun with them, rather than lerking around the store waiting for someone to come in they could snatch one from?

Mr. Helmke said:

What? The gun-rights crowd doesn't spend much money? He obviously hasn't checked the price of guns and ammo lately has he (not to mention the cost of coffee at Starbucks). ;)

Doc

Nicely put!! :)

I think someone trying to "snatch" my gun from my secured Blackhawk CQC Level II holster would probably wind up getting an elbow to the face before they knew it. Anyone who knows about the holster I have knows that gun and holster are not going anywhere unless I want it to.

And yes you are corerct that if anyone wanted to shoopt up a place or rob it, they would simply bring thier own gun. Those guys really crack me up.. LOL :D

zach

imported post

Suburban78 wrote:
DocNTexas wrote:
Mr Lewis wrote:

Mr. Helmke said:

Doc
Well said!
Yep, well said. I made those exact comments on the DP page.

ooghost1oo

imported post

I tell ya ... I was at Starbucks in Colo Sprgs today, and I was SO JITTERY, my finger trigger was itching BIG TIME. Lewis sure knows what he's talking about.

;)

(I put that stupid article on Facebook yesterday. What a joke.)

Pace

imported post

No offense, but if someone wanted to rob starbucks, they could bring a fricken' butter knife...

What's the real issue here? It's that some people find some things offensive. Like those who have problems with breast feeding mothers, those who find gays offensive, those who find people who drink at starbuck offensive.

I personally find that little Toyota Prius offensive. I want to run it over every time I see it with my gas-guzzling Chevy Tahoe and tell the dude in the front seat to put down his starbucks and get a real car!

Both sides of the aisle, whether republican, democrat, whatever you want to call them, it's the same issue. Whenever anyone finds something offensive they try to regulate it, or play daddy. It's as if everyone wants the government to remidn us not to run with scissors.

If anyone thinks that the average person can not control themselves if they have a gun, we have such a serious issue that we need to start banning knives, cars, aspirin, chopsticks and perhaps even television.

Your mom is your mom. Obama isn't your mom. Bush wasn't your Mom. And well, Clinton... he probably liked your mom.

desettle

imported post

scubabeme wrote:
http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_14522280

Brady campaign: "Starbucks is trying to duck the issue"

Lewis: "Um, isn't that what you're supposed do when someone walks into your store with a gun?"

Flood the Post with letters to the editor!!! Tell the "business" writer to stay out of politics--or at least put the article in "opinion" instead of "business!"

I just posted my comment about this story. Stated as follows:

I think the author of this article should stick to business articles and stay out of politics. Since when does someone have to have a reason to exercise a right, including those to protect oneself and their family? Clearly the author is a leftwing fanatic who just assumes all criminals should be able to assume their victims be unable to defend themselves. We keep seeing examples of that kind of thinking on the nightly news over and over.

I respect Starbucks for their stand and this more should follow. I personally do not appreciate the author assuming anyone with a gun on their hip is going to scare people and have no money. I know several executives who carry a weapon and yes, they drink Starbucks too.

I suggest the author stick to what he has facts about not fictional writing where there are no facts to back up their claims.

zig-zag

imported post

Let Mr Lewis wait until there is no more freedom of the press or of speech, I bet he will complain about when the rights he wants are taken away from his big mouth. Shut this corrupt paper down.