• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Upcoming trip to Florida

tai4de2

imported post

I am going to Florida in a few weeks. Given our new-found reciprocity, I was considering taking a gun with me. I've never flown with a firearm as baggage before, or carried a firearm outside of WA.

Probably just because I've never done it before, I'm feeling a little nervous about it. I'm concerned about hassles at the airport on either end, and about the possibility of the gun being stolen en route, especially given the fact that it's not a non-stop flight.

I'm flying on a combination of Alaska and Delta, Seattle through Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale.

Any insights, experiences, etc. would be helpful.

olypendrew

imported post

Just follow the rules-unloaded gun in a locked container where you keep the keys or combination, declared at check-in--and you won't have any hassle. I always fly with guns, and it's no big deal, but you might want to give yourself an extra 15 minutes or so.

FMCDH

imported post

tai4de2 wrote:
I am going to Florida in a few weeks. Given our new-found reciprocity, I was considering taking a gun with me. I've never flown with a firearm as baggage before, or carried a firearm outside of WA.

Probably just because I've never done it before, I'm feeling a little nervous about it. I'm concerned about hassles at the airport on either end, and about the possibility of the gun being stolen en route, especially given the fact that it's not a non-stop flight.

I'm flying on a combination of Alaska and Delta, Seattle through Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale.

Any insights, experiences, etc. would be helpful.
I travel by plane several times a year, and always take a carry pistol with me, where and as allowed by law, if for no other reason than to have it in my "place of abode".

I have had 0 bad experiences with airlines short of the ticket counter person not being sure of the rules of how the case is suppose to be sealed and where the decleration of unloaded firearms tag goes.

In those few cases, we just ask for a TSA screening supervisor and the attendant gets educated. ;)

DaemonForce

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
In those few cases, we just ask for a TSA screening supervisor and the attendant gets educated. ;)
I would just tell the attendant, wait next to the L3 if you have to and notify the TSA screening luggage that your container has a firearm. Make sure it goes through. Doesn't matter if it's a three bar. They're all dogs hired to do the same shit. Even one on his first day is supposed to know how to handle firearm luggage. It should not be a problem. Just remember that failure to notify has some ridiculously stupidconsequences. Get it done. :)

Bear 45/70

imported post

Every time the wife flies with a firearm, she gets thru check-in and security faster than she does without a firearm. I myself don't fly anymore, I refuse to be treated like an enemy in my own country, especially since they haven't made flying one wit safer, only a bigger hassle. I take the train or drive now.

Machoduck

imported post

NavyLT said, ''At SEATAC they swiped the outside of the gun case for residue...''

LT, what was their aim? So they find gun shot residue on the case. Lots of people open the case on the shelf at the range and leave it there while shooting. Might there just possibly be GSR on the case after that? Do only terrorists go to the range?

Or does it work the other way, where the absence of GSR is indicative of suspicious behavior? What if you just bought the case specifically for that trip? It wouldn't have any GSR on it then, would it? And, no, I don't think the test was your idea, even though I'm responding to your post with the questions. :uhoh:

MD

DaemonForce

imported post

Your point is incredibly valid. I wouldn't do it. Luggage is bad enough as it. Wiping it won't save it. Period.

Humans are filthy ******* beings! Load 20...Yeah...Just 20 of these bags BY THE HANDLES into a CTX and tell me your hand isn't black black. ******* disgusting humans.I'll leave you to imagine how filthy they are when you have to individually check each and every one of them at thecheckpoint.:X

tai4de2

imported post

Well, my dad says he's not happy with the idea of me having a gun with me in his house. Since I respect him and believe in a man's prerogative to set rules in his own home, I will go without for the few days I'm down there.

Bear 45/70

imported post

tai4de2 wrote:
Well, my dad says he's not happy with the idea of me having a gun with me in his house. Since I respect him and believe in a man's prerogative to set rules in his own home, I will go without for the few days I'm down there.
I alwaysuse the "Don't ask don't tell" and "It is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission" programs. My personnel protection is not subject to my parents wishes once I reached the age of majority. FYI, my mother-in-law was totally against guns anywhereuntil her house was broken into, she heard the guy going out the back as she came in the from the garage. Now mine and my wife's guns are always welcome.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tai4de2 wrote:
Stay at a nearby hotel.

FMCDH

imported post

tai4de2 wrote:
Are you planning to have a rental car while you are there?

If you have the money, perhaps you should decide to stay at a nearby motel, or just keep the gun secured in the car.

Just a thought.

Sparky508

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
I alwaysuse the "Don't ask don't tell" and "It is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission" programs. My personnel protection is not subject to my parents wishes once I reached the age of majority. FYI, my mother-in-law was totally against guns anywhereuntil her house was broken into, she heard the guy going out the back as she came in the from the garage. Now mine and my wife's guns are always welcome.

I agree, Bear. I also follow the thought process, that you invited me here. I feel the same about businesses.

alienbogey

imported post

This may be moot for the OP now, but it can be a good idea to go to an airline's web site and print out their own rules for carry of firearms and ammunition. That way, if you happen to run into an employee who doesn't know their own rules you can provide them - and point out how you're in compliance.