• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brady Campaign scores Virginia as one of the 16 states with the “strongest gun laws” in the USA

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I suppose it depends on how they rate things, but I would say our unlicensed OC puts us ahead of a few of those states. 12 handguns a year while annoying and an infringement is a modest gun control measure compared to absolute bans on public OC like in Texas and Florida.

nova

imported post

Can't wait to see how we rank after July 1, 2010 :cool:

gis

imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
WTF are they smoking?

While I was utterly disgusted going to the Brady Bunch web site, I did it anyway. The reason Virginia scores higher (8 points) than many other states has to do with the state regulation and licensing of DEALERS absent in most free states. I suspect that in Virginia this is more a revenue issue than anything else. Another 3 points is awarded for the silly one-gun-a-month law. If you take those away Virginia is on par with the bulk of other free states.

Unfortunately, the score isn't likely to change after July 1. Take a look for yourself at the scoring.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/scorecard/VA/

scarletwahoo

imported post

I would put NJ in front of CA, only because in CA you can actually carry a gun in public. In NJ, you can never ever carry a gun in public and this includes your own property in some areas, given if it is visible from public view. Odd though, because the criminals that robbed my apt in NJ somehow managed to carry a gun in public...

nova

imported post

Juvenile Handgun Purchases (Maximum 2 Points)
* Category Possible Points
Virginia Points *
* Must be 21

Oh I'm sorry Brady Campaign, I didn't know that I was not an adult at age 18. Hell I have friends who at that age were serving in Iraq.

Thank you Virginia for treating me my age.

bealaskan

imported post

I read somewhere on here where a the Brady score was measured against per capita crime. Seems the higher the Brady score the higher the per capita crime rate.

VApatriot

imported post

nova wrote:
Virginia Points *
* Must be 21

Oh I'm sorry Brady Campaign, I didn't know that I was not an adult at age 18. Hell I have friends who at that age were serving in Iraq.

As you know,federal law already requires persons purchasing handguns from licenced dealers to be 21, so Virginia law is pretty much unimportant in that area. However, as you also know, Virginia law doesprovide several ways for those under 21 to legally purchase and possess handguns, and I am disappointed that our score does not reflect that.

nova

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
nova wrote:
Virginia Points *
* Must be 21

As you know,federal law already requires persons purchasing handguns from licenced dealers to be 21, so Virginia law is pretty much unimportant in that area. However, as you also know, Virginia law doesprovide several ways for those under 21 to legally purchase and possess handguns, and I am disappointed that our score does not reflect that.
Not only Virginia law, but Federal law also sets the age limit of 18 for handgun possession and sales from non-FFL holders to those 18+. :cool:

longwatch

imported post

I'll take some solace in knowing by their point system we are pretty far behind and will probably never beat California. Lets see the CA score is 4 times that of VA so their crime rate should be 1/4 ours right?:cool:

tkd2006

imported post

gis wrote:
Bulldog1967 wrote:
WTF are they smoking?

While I was utterly disgusted going to the Brady Bunch web site, I did it anyway. The reason Virginia scores higher (8 points) than many other states has to do with the state regulation and licensing of DEALERS absent in most free states. I suspect that in Virginia this is more a revenue issue than anything else.
Are you serious with this comment about revenue in Virginia. I would have to disagree with you here, do you actually think Virginia makes money (by this i mean a profit) on firearm sales.

oh I forgot to add I'm new here nice site by the way.

gis

imported post

tkd2006 wrote:
gis wrote:
Bulldog1967 wrote:
WTF are they smoking?

While I was utterly disgusted going to the Brady Bunch web site, I did it anyway. The reason Virginia scores higher (8 points) than many other states has to do with the state regulation and licensing of DEALERS absent in most free states. I suspect that in Virginia this is more a revenue issue than anything else.
Are you serious with this comment about revenue in Virginia. I would have to disagree with you here, do you actually think Virginia makes money (by this i mean a profit) on firearm sales.

Welcome to the site!

I honestly don't know why Virginia regulates gun dealers. In most free states BATFE does it and the states stay out of it. It's just like the sales side. What's the value of the VSP check over NICS? The state gets $2 from us for every gun sold, so I am sure that they get something from the FFLs too.

I moved to Virginia from the midwest. I love the gun laws here, but it seems that I have to pay for things that I never imagined having to pay for in Michigan, stuff like vehicle inspections, emission tests, personal property taxes, gun background check fees, etc.

longwatch

imported post

VSP set the rate at $2 way before NICS came into existence, we had an instant check before the brady act became law. At the time it was enough to fund the program. It was good then because by doing so we didn't have to have a 5 day waiting period, some localities did but it wasn't universal. About 2 years ago the VSP tried to raise the rate to $5 citing budget concerns, maybe true but since they were turned down by the General Assembly its funny how the waiting periods for those on delay has gone from 20 minutes to well over an hour or 2, not to mention days long waits during gun show weekends.

Changing to NICS would be a major improvement because its free to the gun buyer, it never crashes like the VICS does on a monthly basis and we would only need to do one form. However its the questions on the state form that are required by virginia law that really prevent us going to it. One handgun a month, the mental incapacitation database check, 2 forms of ID required and proof of legal presence for assault firearms need to be eliminated for us to get there.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

tkd2006 wrote:
gis wrote:

Welcome to OCDO tkd2006

We recognize new posters by their post count. :p

I didn't see state revenue as being a factor either - virtually all businesses in all states pay license fees, income taxes etc. Just how Virginia is notably different to this regard, I fail to see.

Yata hey

tkd2006

imported post

I dont think Virginia gets 2.00 for every gun sold i think they get 2.00 for each transaction for a state resident and 5.00 for each transaction by an out of state resident. So if you buy 4 guns (at one time)and live in state then its 2.00.

I dont think FFLs pay anything more to the state than just the 2.00 or 5.00 transaction fee.

tkd2006

imported post

longwatch wrote:
VSP set the rate at $2 way before NICS came into existence, we had an instant check before the brady act became law. At the time it was enough to fund the program. It was good then because by doing so we didn't have to have a 5 day waiting period, some localities did but it wasn't universal. About 2 years ago the VSP tried to raise the rate to $5 citing budget concerns, maybe true but since they were turned down by the General Assembly its funny how the waiting periods for those on delay has gone from 20 minutes to well over an hour or 2, not to mention days long waits during gun show weekends.

Changing to NICS would be a major improvement because its free to the gun buyer, it never crashes like the VICS does on a monthly basis and we would only need to do one form. However its the questions on the state form that are required by virginia law that really prevent us going to it. One handgun a month, the mental incapacitation database check, 2 forms of ID required and proof of legal presence for assault firearms need to be eliminated for us to get there.

Some of the people ive spoken with say the layoffs the state has had the freeze on hiring people has been the major reason for the long delays. I do see the delays have gotten a bit longer but i guess that leaves me more timeto browse and gives me an extra reason to stay at the guns shows. When i have to tell my better half "it took a few hours for mygun approval" it seems i dont get any flak.

longwatch

imported post

Its not so bad if you know what to expect at a show, but if the VSP drags their feet of delays so much that the dealer has to pack up purchased firearm and take back from Chantilly to say Danville, well that is a bitter experience for some folks. The majority of folks who get delayed are because of common names or even identity theft, being punished for the sins of others has never been cool in my book.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I've heard that the dealers are taking a beating because of the delays.

As I do not believe that the VSP personnel numbers have been reduced - could the delays be accidentally on purpose?

Yata hey

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Buy your guns during the day on weekdays. I purchased handguns on two separate occasions in the last two weeks, and didn't wait more than about 5 min total for both checks...