• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to U/OC

Chunna

imported post

I'm Tony and currently live in San Diego. I've read MULTIPLE articals and watched many youtube videos of police/citizen interactions. Open Carry is a pretty awesome deal (being that it's pretty impossible to get a CCW permit here). I just want to make sure one thing; though you can openly carry an unloaded firearm around town for your personal protection, you cannot drive your personal vehicle with the unloaded firearm still holstered?

From what I'm gathering, it's that the firearm has to be locked up in your trunk until you park and are ready to be mobile. Is that a true statement? If that's the policy than, obviously that's what I'll follow when I do start to OC around town but, just wanted to make sure. Doesn't make too much sense if that is the case but, baby steps I guess. Thanks for your time!

Gundude

imported post

Chunna wrote:
I'm Tony and currently live in San Diego. I've read MULTIPLE articals and watched many youtube videos of police/citizen interactions. Open Carry is a pretty awesome deal (being that it's pretty impossible to get a CCW permit here). I just want to make sure one thing; though you can openly carry an unloaded firearm around town for your personal protection, you cannot drive your personal vehicle with the unloaded firearm still holstered?

From what I'm gathering, it's that the firearm has to be locked up in your trunk until you park and are ready to be mobile. Is that a true statement? If that's the policy than, obviously that's what I'll follow when I do start to OC around town but, just wanted to make sure. Doesn't make too much sense if that is the case but, baby steps I guess. Thanks for your time!

Don't get excited and start UOC'ing yet. You are missing some information. UOC is illegal in secure areas(gov building, secure areas in airports)andwithin 1000 ft of a school. You must lock up your unloaded weapon while passing through the magic 1000 ft zone, either in your trunk or in a lockable container in plain sight in your car. You can UOC in your car otherwise, but its best to lock it up till you get to your destination, as you might pass a school without knowing it.

You need to be prepared for an (e) check also. The police are authorized to inspect your weapon to see if it's unloaded. A recording device is recommended for this as the police sometimes overstep their bounds and violate the 4th amendment with an illegal search and siezure

I would suggest you wait and UOC with a group first. We have them from time to time here in SD.

PATIENCE GRASSHOPPER

Chunna

imported post

This grasshopper is ready to hop! Not really though. I do want to make sure I know what the laws and all are. Am aware of the restrictions and what the police can/can't do. I've been on the East Coast for the past 6 months and know I missed afew group events here in San Diego but, I will be keeping my eyes open for the next close one. Being that I've never open carried, would feel more comfortable the first time around with OC Vets..! Thanks for the reply too... and that did clearify my question. I'm seeing it that if I'm driving from my apartment to the Starbucks (for example) 2 miles away, I know there aren't schools near from here to there so, I can keep it holstered in my car without worries. Traveling anywhere else outside of my known norm, it'll have to be locked up. Thanks again boss!

DEFENSOR

imported post

Chunna wrote:
This grasshopper is ready to hop! Not really though. I do want to make sure I know what the laws and all are. Am aware of the restrictions and what the police can/can't do. I've been on the East Coast for the past 6 months and know I missed afew group events here in San Diego but, I will be keeping my eyes open for the next close one. Being that I've never open carried, would feel more comfortable the first time around with OC Vets..! Thanks for the reply too... and that did clearify my question. I'm seeing it that if I'm driving from my apartment to the Starbucks (for example) 2 miles away, I know there aren't schools near from here to there so, I can keep it holstered in my car without worries. Traveling anywhere else outside of my known norm, it'll have to be locked up. Thanks again boss!

The key to carrying in your vehicle is for the weapon to be in plain sight. In your belt holster is not in plain sight. If you are going to open carry in car best to leave it on passenger seat in such a way that it can not slide off onto the floor, worse yet under the seat. Then make sure that your ammo is in the trunk or in locked container. At that point you might as well lock both in a case. Check me on this but I think you are legal if you lock both ammo and unloaded firearm in a case inside the vehicle. I will have to look into that because I have considered that method of transport myself.

Safe journey, Defensor out

Gundude

imported post

DEFENSOR wrote:
Chunna wrote:

The key to carrying in your vehicle is for the weapon to be in plain sight. In your belt holster is not in plain sight. If you are going to open carry in car best to leave it on passenger seat in such a way that it can not slide off onto the floor, worse yet under the seat. Then make sure that your ammo is in the trunk or in locked container. At that point you might as well lock both in a case. Check me on this but I think you are legal if you lock both ammo and unloaded firearm in a case inside the vehicle. I will have to look into that because I have considered that method of transport myself.

12025 (f) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed
within the meaning of this section.

There is no mention of being in a car or walking. If you are standing behind a 5 ft wall, the weapon isn't visible from someone on the other side, but it isn't concealed. Visible vs. concealed.

guitrman1001

imported post

Although some may say i am crazy and pushing the envelope I always carry in a holster while driving. My GPS warns me when I am near a school so I can change my route. Some may say don't do it.... I figure if you are going to carry.. carry......

guit

demnogis

imported post

Contrary to popular belief (and what LEAs will tell you) you are not required to keep ammunition separately from the firearm. The firearm cannot have a loaded magazine attached to it that places ammunition in a position from which it can be fired (Clark vs. CA).

If carrying in your vehicle you may well possibly violate 626.9 by driving within 1000ft of a school. That is why unless on foot in a location you know for sure is clear of school zones it is recommended to get a 12025(g) compliant locking container and store the firearm there while in your vehicle. You do not have to store ammo separately, the firearm just cannot be loaded.

DEFENSOR wrote:

Chunna

imported post

So i'm seeing that there is really no straight to the point answer regarding this. Overall, it could be legal to oc in your car cause the holster isn't conceled. I agree with that 100% and that's how I want to see it. But also seeing the gray area where if I do get pulled over for whatever reason, it depends on how the cop sees it and for 2, the whole withing 1000' of the school. To play it safe and all, I'm gonna keep it locked up in a case in the trunk until I get where I wanna go... keeping the gun unloaded but in the same case wiith loaded mags. Think that'll cover my 6. Don't agree with it (isn't a car an extension of your home, which you have the right to defend)?! Wonder what it's like for gun owners that live within 1000' of a school... hmmm...! But until we get a new sheriff or better policy with CCW's, I'll stick to this. Thanks for all the info fellas! and if/when you get word or organize another 'demonstration', fill me in! - stay dry -

Tony

Gundude

imported post

Chunna wrote:
So i'm seeing that there is really no straight to the point answer regarding this. Overall, it could be legal to oc in your car cause the holster isn't conceled. I agree with that 100% and that's how I want to see it. But also seeing the gray area where if I do get pulled over for whatever reason, it depends on how the cop sees it and for 2, the whole withing 1000' of the school. To play it safe and all, I'm gonna keep it locked up in a case in the trunk until I get where I wanna go... keeping the gun unloaded but in the same case wiith loaded mags. Think that'll cover my 6. Don't agree with it (isn't a car an extension of your home, which you have the right to defend)?! Wonder what it's like for gun owners that live within 1000' of a school... hmmm...! But until we get a new sheriff or better policy with CCW's, I'll stick to this. Thanks for all the info fellas! and if/when you get word or organize another 'demonstration', fill me in! - stay dry -

Tony
That would be me. I'm surrounded by schools. I keep my ppk .380 locked in a book safe (see pic) and I keep it locked up and in the house when I'm not in my car. I have a Rossi .357 for home protection. This book safe is available at Harbor Frieght for about $15. It has a 3 wheel combination lock.

mjones

imported post

DEFENSOR wrote:
         The key to carrying in your vehicle is for the weapon to be in plain sight. In your belt holster is not in plain sight. If you are going to open carry in car best to leave it on passenger seat in such a way that it can not slide off onto the floor, worse yet under the seat. Then make sure that your ammo is in the trunk or in locked container. At that point you might as well lock both in a case. Check me on this but I think you are legal if you lock both ammo and unloaded firearm in a case inside the vehicle. I will have to look into that because I have considered that method of  transport  myself.

[/quote]

Openly carried on a belt holster is the only legally defined method of 'this is NOT concealed carry' per PC 12025. Its not the only way to open carry, but it is the one guaranteed form of not concealed that we have.

There is no need or reason to lock up your ammo.

Gundude