Thread: OT: Cosmoline tips

Post imported post

Hey guys,

Just asking any tips for getting cosmoline off of a Mosin Nagant 91/30. Sorry it's off topic, but ya know... ask those who know.

Thanks.

Oh yeah, and anyone know where some cheap 7.62x54R is?
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Post imported post

When I got my Mosin it was also covered in cosmoline. Take it completely apart and get to it. I used hoppes on mine, took some time, but turned out well. I have heard of people actually heating the parts up to clean them quicker (oven) but wasn't feeling that. surplusrifle.com has instructions on disassembly if you need them.

Post imported post

Plain old HOT water. the hotter the better. then dry and oil well.

Post imported post

I use gasoline.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

killchain wrote:
    Hey guys,

Just asking any tips for getting cosmoline off of a Mosin Nagant 91/30. Sorry it's off topic, but ya know... ask those who know.

Thanks.

Oh yeah, and anyone know where some cheap 7.62x54R is?
    Google "ed's red," it's supposed to be a really awesome cosmoline remover you mix up your self, but havn't tried it personally. I just used one of those "orange blast" type cleaners & plenty of elbow grease. The Winchester degreaser Walmart sells is really good too, but havn't tried it on cosmoline.

Far as cheap ammo, search around online. the 440 round tins can usually be had for less than $100. J&G sales in AZ has them for 80-90, dunno how bad shipping would be: http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/amm...4r/cPath/12_42

Oh and stock up on bengay & Alieve before you shoot that bad boy :what:
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Post imported post

the last time I bought ammo for mine was at the gun store in puyallup, cant remember the name though, it's just north of the tacoma sportsmens club. cant remember how much it was, but it was a pretty decent price.

Post imported post

Simple Green may work and it's environmentally friendly. Then there's Naphtha (lighter fluid) or Acetone, but those are hard on the hands, nose and environment.

Post imported post

Hot sunny day + foil. Then thorough mineral spirits
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Post imported post

Thanks for all the advice!

I went over it real well with some Hoppes #9, and then gave it a once over with some CLP. I'm going to take it out tomorrow so we'll see just how much the rifle's gonna sweat on me.

BTW, that got the local kids oogling when I was rodding the barrel, on my balcony. :P

And that foil and a hot day sounds like a great idea. I'll do that when it gets warmer.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Post imported post

You can also put it in a black garbage bag and hang it up in the sun. There are instructions on the 'net to build a sweat box from a galvanized garbage can and light bulb(s).

The stock is going to sweat a LOT of cosmo and if you don't get it all out of the receiver, it will be a bear to open and close correctly.

The problem is they are not that smooth to begin with, you need to treat them like Russian vodka or women....a little rough...they work better. :what:

Enjoy!
    Gary

Post imported post

I boiled all the metal parts that would fit in a large pot then wiped and lubed them. For the barrel I used some CLP and a boresnake. And finally cleaned the stock up with a little pledge. It turned out really nice a few hours later when I was all done.

Post imported post

I made one of these. Use two trash cans and 2 x 100 watt bulbs. It provides a 90.percent solution. Not worth the time to build unless you will be buying multiple cosmoline preserved firearms.

The quote button doesn't work from my Palm Pre. My post is related to building a hot house to sweat the cosmoline away.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776