• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any states allow OC or CC in K-12 schools?

skoster

imported post

Hi,

Does anyone know if any states allow OC (or CC, but OC highly preferred) in K-12 schools by teachers/specialized educators? I hate feeling like I cannot protect my students or myself while at work and I'm considering moving if I can find a state which encourages teachers and other school staff to carry.

Thanks,
Seth

t33j

imported post

Check Utah. I don't think it's prohibited there but I'm sure it's not encouraged. Do it anyway.

PaxMentis

imported post

CC in Oregon for permit holders.

But some districts have employment conditions against.

We had a local teacher getfired for leaving her gun in her purse in her desk...it must be on you at all times.

CarryOpen

imported post

I don't think it's a good idea to recommend that folks illegally carry guns at schools. I'm not saying you can't have the opinion, but I'm pretty sure we're here to discuss lawful open carry.

CarryOpen

imported post

t33j wrote:
Check Utah. I don't think it's prohibited there but I'm sure it's not encouraged. Do it anyway.

My post was in reply to this.

MatieA

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
t33j wrote:

My post was in reply to this.

I am guessing here, but this is my take on the post you quoted.

I don't think it's prohibitedandeven thoughitis not encouraged you should do it anyway

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Sgt. Jensen and PackingMama do it all the time at their kids school in Utah. Send them a PM and they should be happy to give you the info.

LoveMyCountry

t33j

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
I don't think it's a good idea to recommend that folks illegally carry guns at schools.  I'm not saying you can't have the opinion, but I'm pretty sure we're here to discuss lawful open carry.

I don't see how I was recommending illegal activity???

CarryOpen

imported post

I misread your post, I apologize. I thought you were saying carry regardless of statute or policy. I was entirely in the wrong.

skoster

imported post

Thanks for the replies, it looks like Utah may be the place to go. I intend nothing illegal, or even disruptive to my students education, and my hope would be that by having discussions beforehand with the principal and other staff the firearm would be a non-event.

Orygunner

imported post

PaxMentis wrote:
CC in Oregon for permit holders.

But some districts have employment conditions against.

We had a local teacher get fired for leaving her gun in her purse in her desk...it must be on you at all times.

Just to clarify, yes, with a Concealed Handgun License, you are legal in Oregon to carry a loaded firearm in (or on the adjacent property of) a "public building" which includes schools and universities. Without a CHL, it is prohibited by state law (ORS 166.370).

However, there is nothing in Oregon State Law that requires it is concealed.

Even though it is legal, because schools are a sensitive area it may freak someone out and they'll call 911, then you run the risk of a negative LEO encounter.

Reference: http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

...Orygunner...

eye95

imported post

I was reading the Alabama Code just a few minutes ago. It struck me as strange that a CC permit holder is specifically allowed to CC in a school with intent to do bodily harm! But, that is what plain reading says.

OC4me

imported post

Technically school carry seems to be lawful with a valid concealed carry permit in Michigan (but only if openly carried). To my knowledge, however, there are no instances where this is being done on a regular basis (if ever done at all). There is an Attorney General's opinion supporting this...check the Michigan forum for more information.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

OC4me wrote:
Technically school carry seems to lawful with a valid concealed carry permit in Michigan (but only if openly carried). To my knowledge, however, there are no instances where this is being done on a regular basis (nor even done on a one-time basis). There is an Attorney General's opinion supporting this...check the Michigan forum for more information.

That would be the OAG 7113

Also see: MCL 750.237a, specifically, Subsection (5)

TheHossUSMC

imported post

Oregon schools allow carry if you have a CHL. But I wouldn't recommend it. I went through a major shit storm at my school over it.

The two laws that allow it are:
https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.170?highlight=166.170

Says no one but the legislature can regulate the carry, sale, etc.. of firearms.

https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.370?highlight=166.370
Says in subsection 2d a CHL holder is exempt from any restrictions on carrying in a public space.

This may be hearsay, and definitely a gray area, but it could be said that if you have a CHL you would not be restricted from open carry into these places because the law does not specify that it has to be concealed. I wouldn't risk it.

UtahJarhead

imported post

I live in Utah as well and my wife is a 7th grade English teacher. I've OC'd and CC'd both to her classroom and it's perfectly legal and ok to do. Yes, some parents frown on it. First, too bad. Second, they're very few and far between. It is specifically authorized by statute. The state GFSZ says "NO GUNS!.... unless you have your Concealed Firearm Permit (CFP), then you can."

It does NOT specifically authorize open carry here in Utah, however because we have a RESTRICTIVE constitution in Utah, anything not specifically outlawed is legal. The CFP here in Utah has the word concealed only in name. It allows us 3 things. Allows us to Conceal Carry, allows us to carry fully loaded, and it allows us to carry in schools. The only thing that's a GRAY area right now is open carry on SOME college campuses. 2 colleges (U of Utah and Utah Valley Univ) claim it's illegal, but will not back it up. We haven't had a test case to take it to court yet because obviously, nobody has the guts to (and I can't blame them!)

rmansu2

imported post

Most states are no go. Here in Louisiana, the law says no, but.......with expections. If you are granted permission via the Principle or ruling authority of the school you can.

You really have to dig through the laws to find that one.

office888

imported post

OC is legal in Michigan, inside a K-12 school, but only with a valid CPL.

However, I don't think the school would allow you to as a teacher...

-Richard-