Thread: HELP! I need the letters from sheriffs. Any one have them?

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama

Post imported post

I live in Hoover and I'm making an appointment to speak with the sheriff of Jefferson County on Monday. I have many papers to show him about Alabama Law pertaining to Open Carry.

But I feel like he may say something like, "I don't think any other sheriff in Alabama will tolerate Open Carry."

If he does, I need letters /emails from other sheriffs from Alabama.

PLEASE help me out please.

*****I need the letter/email, name of the sheriff, and the county name.

If anyone has a link, or letter. Please post it here, to help me with my conversation.

I would appreciate it.

-Tim

Post imported post

How'd your meeting go?

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama

Post imported post

It hasn't happened yet. I am scheduling the appointment tomorrow. That's why I need letters.

Post imported post

Wow Ok.. I'm a day ahead of myself... more coffee!

Lemme know how it goes, I've emailed Sheriff Hale about things before, but never got a reply.. Though some that have met him, have said he's very reasonable.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I've attached a photocopy of a letter from the Sheriff of Montgomery county, D.T. Marshall. It was sent to another board member, but I thought it would be a nice reference to have in my own personal library.

Banned

Post imported post

Thanks. This also answers one of the concerns I expressed in another thread.

Post imported post

Wow, that response is actually so coherent and polite that I wouldn't even want to take issue with it!

But the problem is, his officer still does not have the right to 'take custody' of the firearm unless he has a reasonable suspicion both that he is in danger of life or limb, and the possession of said firearm may be a crime. 'Reasonable suspicion' is not defined as "hmm, well it could be, so let's just take it to be safe." There must be some evidence involved.

But besides that one point, that's very encouraging from the Montgomery Sheriff!

Post imported post

Tim, sorry I can't help with a written response. I only had a telephone conversation with Elmore County Sheriff Bill Franklin and he confirmed that OC is legal in AL.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Shaun

Post imported post

Http://alabamagunrights.orgClick the second link "Tri-fold Summary(pdf)". Print that summary and show it to local law enforcement. It doesn't matter what the sheriff "thinks" is legal. That pamphlet will show him what "is" legal and what has happened when people have been arrested for OC in Alabama.
    Check out my home page @ www.alabamaopencarry.com and Carry On!

Post imported post

that The Unit response is actually so coherent and polite that I wouldn't even want to take issue with it!

--Rule Violation--
    --Link Disabled--

Post imported post

Tim, did you ever have this meeting? What was the outcome?

MT

Post imported post

Maybe we need to write every sheriff's office in the state and get a response from each one as to their understanding of the law. I appreciate the response of the Montgomery county sheriff in this matter and, as has been pointed out, it was a very polite letter. Like the rest of you, I am not too happy with the deputy taking charge of the gun upon seeing a civilian with a firearm, although I can understand his concern.

I don't know how holding the civilian's gun is supposed to alleviate the deputy's fears that the citizen means no one any harm. Maybe it is just the fact that we would hand it over so easily means we will complyand recognizehis "legal" authority.

All in all, it's a great response and very polite. It would be nice if we got that type of response from the rest of the LEO's in the state.
    Check out my home page @ www.alabamaopencarry.com and Carry On!