• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HELP! I need the letters from sheriffs. Any one have them?

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

I live in Hoover and I'm making an appointment to speak with the sheriff of Jefferson County on Monday. I have many papers to show him about Alabama Law pertaining to Open Carry.

But I feel like he may say something like, "I don't think any other sheriff in Alabama will tolerate Open Carry."

If he does, I need letters /emails from other sheriffs from Alabama.

PLEASE help me out please.

*****I need the letter/email, name of the sheriff, and the county name.

If anyone has a link, or letter. Please post it here, to help me with my conversation.

I would appreciate it.

-Tim

Bhamrichard

imported post

Wow Ok.. I'm a day ahead of myself... more coffee!

Lemme know how it goes, I've emailed Sheriff Hale about things before, but never got a reply.. Though some that have met him, have said he's very reasonable.

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've attached a photocopy of a letter from the Sheriff of Montgomery county, D.T. Marshall. It was sent to another board member, but I thought it would be a nice reference to have in my own personal library.
806250547_7qNcK-L.jpg

dixieborn

imported post

Wow, that response is actually so coherent and polite that I wouldn't even want to take issue with it!

But the problem is, his officer still does not have the right to 'take custody' of the firearm unless he has a reasonable suspicion both that he is in danger of life or limb, and the possession of said firearm may be a crime. 'Reasonable suspicion' is not defined as "hmm, well it could be, so let's just take it to be safe." There must be some evidence involved.

But besides that one point, that's very encouraging from the Montgomery Sheriff!

Monkeytown

imported post

Tim, sorry I can't help with a written response. I only had a telephone conversation with Elmore County Sheriff Bill Franklin and he confirmed that OC is legal in AL.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Shaun

imported post

dixieborn,
While reading the sheriff's letter, I had the exact same reservations.
No probable cause, but disarm the OC'er anyway?

This is exactly why this site needs to recruit one good gun attorney to represent OC'ers .................

AL Ranger

imported post

Http://alabamagunrights.orgClick the second link "Tri-fold Summary(pdf)". Print that summary and show it to local law enforcement. It doesn't matter what the sheriff "thinks" is legal. That pamphlet will show him what "is" legal and what has happened when people have been arrested for OC in Alabama.

anny3

imported post

that The Unit response is actually so coherent and polite that I wouldn't even want to take issue with it!

--Rule Violation--
--Link Disabled--

AL Ranger

imported post

Maybe we need to write every sheriff's office in the state and get a response from each one as to their understanding of the law. I appreciate the response of the Montgomery county sheriff in this matter and, as has been pointed out, it was a very polite letter. Like the rest of you, I am not too happy with the deputy taking charge of the gun upon seeing a civilian with a firearm, although I can understand his concern.

I don't know how holding the civilian's gun is supposed to alleviate the deputy's fears that the citizen means no one any harm. Maybe it is just the fact that we would hand it over so easily means we will complyand recognizehis "legal" authority.

All in all, it's a great response and very polite. It would be nice if we got that type of response from the rest of the LEO's in the state.