• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting the word out...

Dreamer

imported post

A lot of folks in my neighborhood go for walks in the afternoon and early evening. Couples, individuals, even a few families. I've noticed that most of them are usualy carrying sticks, staves or even golf clubs...

I assume this is for dogs, because I live "out in the county", on the rural edge of a very small town, and there ARE a few feral dogs out here in the woods that border our development.

But I always wondered about the effectiveness of a stick against a feral dog. I grew up in rural WV, and we had PACKS of feral dogs there. Once we had a pack that was terrorizing our chickens and turkeys, and they were VERY aggressive and NOT afraid of humans. A large feral dog, if set on attacking a human, would only get pissed off if you wacked him in the head with a 3/4" dowel. Back in the day, on our farm in WV, we used a 30-06 to deal with the dog problem, after asking the Sheriff what he would suggest...

Anyway, I was returning from the grocery store yesterday afternoon, and saw a middle-aged fellow walking down the street with what looked like a 3/4" x 4ft dowel in his hand, so I slowed my car, and rolled down the passenger-side window, and pulled over beside him to ask what teh sticks and golf clubs were all about.

I asked if it was for "four-legged attackers" or for "2-leggeds", and he said it was for wild dogs. Told him that I'd seen some of those dogs (one is a Rottweiller mix, and is BIG), and I thought that a stick like that would probably only piss off a dog like that. I then asked him why he didn't carry a gun if he was really worried about dogs.

I was OCing, but had a jacket on, and had my seatbelt fastened, so he couldn't see it...

He said (with a grin) "well, actually I have a CHP, and I do," and discretely pulled up his sweatshirt to show me a KelTek 9mm in an IWB holster.

I told him (with a grin) that I also had a CHP, and then swept back my jacket to show him my Para. Of course, the FIRST words out of his mouth (much to my chagrin) was "wow is that a Kimber?'... groan... :banghead:

Anyway, I asked him if he knew that OC was legal in NC, and he said he knew, but he didn't do it, because he didn't know how people would take it. I then told him that I OCedd almost all the time (except when it was cold enough to wear a big coat, or it was raining) and I had never had a single issue, with the exception of one store in Greenville.

I told him that I OC at grocery stores, hardware stores, sporting goods stores, some restaurants, etc, and had NEVER had an issue. I told him that I'd even had a few local Deputies comment favorably to me, saying they wished MORE folks would OC, because they believed that it helped "keep the bad guys in check".

He seemed interested, and very intrigued by the information I gave him. I told him about OCDO, and told him that most folks would, judging by his appearance (he was early 50's, with short hair and average build) probably assume he was an off-duty cop, and not even give him a second thought. All in all, I think it was a VERY productive encounter, and we parted ways with a smile and a friendly wave.

I don't know if I converted him to OC, but I think I at least "planted the seed".

Who knows, maybe I won't be the ONLY OCer in Beaufort County after all! :celebrate

Why do I carry? Because it's my calling as a "teacher" to educate people...

CarryOpen

imported post

The only people around here I see carrying sticks are elderly. I was told that holding up something of a little weight helps with their cardio.

I wouldn't trust a stick against some dogs - just a couple of weeks ago we had a pitbull across the street latch onto another neighbor's dog. When I came out they were beating it with a chain trying to get it loose. Finally had to put a screwdriver in it's mouth and pry a little. I don't think it was the prying, but the metal in it's mouth that made it let go. I'd hate to try it while it was holding onto one of my extremities.

Lawmaker

imported post

Sounds great dreamer. I live in the City limits in Jville and I see numerous people walking with sticks all of the time. I was think the exact same thing. I think I am going to go on a walk it is a nice day.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

He said (with a grin) "well, actually I have a CHP, and I do," and discretely pulled up his sweatshirt to show me a KelTek 9mm in an IWB holster.

I told him (with a grin) that I also had a CHP, and then swept back my jacket to show him my Para. Of course, the FIRST words out of his mouth (much to my chagrin) was "wow is that a Kimber?'

LOL. Turns into a who had the biggest *#*# contest?

Scrub

imported post

Speaking of getting the word out. I met another LAC in Lowe's in Rocky Mount this weekend, and I had the change to give him one of the brochures that someone on the board had made {Sorry that I can't remember whom!}. I guess that qualifies as a unicorn sighting, because he had no idea something like OCDO existed and was slowly figuring out the satutes on his own. Then a similar thing happened at the convenience store near where I live. The young man was not armed, but is a gun owner and was very thankful to get the information.

Two more open carriers for NC!!! :celebrate:celebrate

The Swollen Cranium

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
A lot of folks in my neighborhood go for walks in the afternoon and early evening. Couples, individuals, even a few families. I've noticed that most of them are usualy carrying sticks, staves or even golf clubs...

I assume this is for dogs, because I live "out in the county", on the rural edge of a very small town, and there ARE a few feral dogs out here in the woods that border our development.

I understand your points and, yep they make sense.

However, I live in a rural area and I carry a stick while running mainly because I would rather NOT shoot little Timmy's dog in the face for trying to bite me as I run past some dude's property.

Sometimes we that do things differently do so from a personal choice point of view, based on experince with the 'aftermath'.

There are plenty of people in the rural area of Johnston county ( where I call home) that do not chain and or restrain their dogs and while I would be justified in shooting in defense its just not always practical from my point of view to do so.

^^^ These are just MY opinions of course and you may disregard as you see fit. :D

Sam

imported post

Get your stick out Mr. Cranium! Your Avatar is about to break through!

Luckily for me I have the best of both worlds. The Hi-Point JHP is both a gun and a big stick. :D

Assuming I decided to carry The Hammer that day.

The Swollen Cranium

imported post

Sam wrote:
Get your stick out Mr. Cranium! Your Avatar is about to break through!

Indeed she is, sir.

She is my early warning device, I don't put much faith in electronic counter measures but would willingly go (back) into combat at the side of a good, well trained, dog.

That being said, still, there is little comparable substitute to steel on target.