• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart Inquiry

proneblocked

imported post

So I went to my local Walmart(Dodgeville) today and decided to ask management there what their stance was on open carry in the store. The Asst. Mngr. told me that ultimately the store policy as far as she knows is to abide by state law and advised me to call 1-800-WALMART for further info.

Additionally she warned me that the people who shop there are such ninnies, a customer recently complained to Mngmt about a woman who brought her poodle in the store in a portable dog carrier and that I should expect numerous complaints from customers if I OC there.

She also stated that she was not aware of such a law regarding OC.

Hmmmm.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

asking permission is asking for trouble. You'll just confuse and raise the alert level of a manager who doesn't have a clue. DO NOT ask for permission. Just carry. If you are asked to leave. Leave immediately. (without your purchases) businesses that don't want your money aren't worth your time.

Leave immediately (walk away from your cart, DO NOT spend money at the store) and send us (Wisconsin Carry) a message. We'll contact corporate and obtain an official position and advise members accordingly with our vast network.

In the past, this method has led to QUICK reversal of anti-gun policies.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman wrote:
asking permission is asking for trouble. You'll just confuse and raise the alert level of a manager who doesn't have a clue. DO NOT ask for permission. Just carry. If you are asked to leave. Leave immediately. (without your purchases) businesses that don't want your money aren't worth your time.

Leave immediately (walk away from your cart, DO NOT spend money at the store) and send us (Wisconsin Carry) a message. We'll contact corporate and obtain an official position and advise members accordingly with our vast network.

In the past, this method has led to QUICK reversal of anti-gun policies.
Yup, actually, I think we are batting pretty close to 100% , once we find out a store is non OC friendly we get it reversed FAST. Team work.:)

RNITOVR

imported post

Alright all! This is my first post, I've been watching this forum for a while and OCing for maybe 6 mo off and on. I had a little experience last night that has made me break my forum silence. I was Ocing in Walmart/Platteville last night, shopping with my family. As we waited in checkout, an Assistent Mngr. approached me with a hysterical looking cashier, and said "Sir, we can't allow guns in the store, could you please leave?" I smiled andsaid "Yes, I will leave right now." Which we did immediatly. I couldn't wait to get back to my laptop to search this sight for answers...and I couldn't believe it was being discussed RIGHT NOW!

Now where do I go from here? I want to call the store Manager.Is that the right move or do I talk to the district manager? I have followed the link above and unfortunatly my encounter didn't give me the opportunity to play it that way. We were asked to leave, so we left. I have carried in this store before, not had any problems or confrontations, and I plan on doing it again.

Thanks!

proneblocked

imported post

RNITOVR wrote:
Alright all! This is my first post, I've been watching this forum for a while and OCing for maybe 6 mo off and on. I had a little experience last night that has made me break my forum silence. I was Ocing in Walmart/Platteville last night, shopping with my family. As we waited in checkout, an Assistent Mngr. approached me with a hysterical looking cashier, and said "Sir, we can't allow guns in the store, could you please leave?" I smiled andsaid "Yes, I will leave right now." Which we did immediatly. I couldn't wait to get back to my laptop to search this sight for answers...and I couldn't believe it was being discussed RIGHT NOW!

Now where do I go from here? I want to call the store Manager.Is that the right move or do I talk to the district manager? I have followed the link above and unfortunatly my encounter didn't give me the opportunity to play it that way. We were asked to leave, so we left. I have carried in this store before, not had any problems or confrontations, and I plan on doing it again.

Thanks!
Quite ironic ...did you ask for the Manager? Are there signs posted visibly at entrance stating 'no guns'?

RNITOVR

imported post

There are no signs, I checked thoroughly. I did not ask for a manager, this happened at 10:30 last night, I figured the guy I was talking to was all I was going to get. He did ask me to leave directly, so we just left everything as is and left. I am going to call the store manager tomorrow, and start there. Any luck in Dodgeville?

RNITOVR

imported post

Well, talked to the Platteville Walmart store Manager yesterday. Went pretty well! Went to the customer service counter and asked for the store manager, NOT a Co-manager. He came out, and I asked if we could speak somewhere in private. We went to his office and I started out by asking him if the words "Open Carry" meant anything to him. He shook his head. I went through the process of explaining our rights and obligations as outlined by the constitution, and our AG. He was very cooperative through all of this. He said that after I had left the store the other night that his co-manager had called him at home and told him his story. They apperently were expecting a visit. I asked what his understanding of Walmarts policy was regarding this issue. He was unfamiliar but said "I know who to call." He dialed the district loss prevention manager for WI, while I was sitting at his desk. He did a very good job at describing our scenario, and asked what the standard OP was. The loss prevention guy basically said exactly what he had to say. As long as I had my handgun displayed, in a safe maner, I was abiding by the law and they were to leave me a lone. The store manager smiled, said thanks, hung up the phone and appologized for the inconvenience. I asked him what could be done to avoid this in the future, and he said that not only would he hold a managers meeting to educate his staff, but he had a conference call with all of the district store managers in our state yesterday afternoon, and he would bring up our converstion on that phone call as well.

All in all, it was great! He was very proffesional, understanding, and applogetic. I'm glad too, because unfortunatly my family spends a lot of time in that store!

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well Done!!!!:celebrate:lol::celebrate:lol:

Another instance were the general public is educated.

Carry On