• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy with some questions.

Yooper

imported post

RenegadeMarine wrote:
Thanks guys for clearing that up for me!! I knew I was right I don't know how I got so confused. I was probably just tired and misunderstood some people's posts. I am a Criminal Justice major so I would like to think that I know the laws pretty well. I am new the OC thing, I can't believe that I didn't know this before, its like a dream come true lol! I will be attending the Gander Mtn. event and as many other events that I can, as I am very passionate about this subject. I have already begun to spread the word and have handed out a couple MOC pamphlets. I have not OC'd yet, it is a little scarey but as long as I know I have the law on my side I think I will be just fine. I did buy a recorder yesterday, now I need to find a good OC holster, because all I have are IWB's (any suggestions?) btw I carry a Glock 19. Sprinklerguy28 you must literally live a stones throw away from me, I live at the corner of 15 mile and Garfield, and yes I would like to get together sometime.

-Brian

For some reason, those that live below the bridge, (aka...nevermind ;)) have forgotten, or never learned that OC is legal, and always has been legal. Most of us Yoopers consider it common knowledge. But then again, when many employers have the first day of deer season as a paid holiday, what do you expect

lil_freak_66

imported post

you had to mention yoopers and deer season....

i JUST got "its da second week of deer camp" out of my head after it had been there all weekend!

now im gonna go watch escanaba in da moonlight....

eastmeyers

imported post

RenegadeMarine wrote:
Thanks guys for clearing that up for me!! I knew I was right I don't know how I got so confused. I was probably just tired and misunderstood some people's posts. I am a Criminal Justice major so I would like to think that I know the laws pretty well. I am new the OC thing, I can't believe that I didn't know this before, its like a dream come true lol! I will be attending the Gander Mtn. event and as many other events that I can, as I am very passionate about this subject. I have already begun to spread the word and have handed out a couple MOC pamphlets. I have not OC'd yet, it is a little scarey but as long as I know I have the law on my side I think I will be just fine. Idid buy a recorder yesterday, now I need to find a good OC holster, because all I have are IWB's (any suggestions?) btw I carry a Glock 19. Sprinklerguy28 you must literally live a stones throw away from me, I live at the corner of 15 mile and Garfield, and yes I would like to get together sometime.

-Brian

You can meet up with me whenever too. Just PM me, I can even bring a holster for you to borrow while we are out, I have a few Glocks, and sevral holsters.

God Bless

SEMPER FI

eastmeyers

imported post

T Vance wrote:
FatboyCykes wrote:
A good all around OC holster is a Blackhawk Serpa level 2 retention holster. It's on the cheap and it works well, comes with belt or paddle attachment and is pretty darn comfortable for my monies. 26.39 on Amazon right now!

http://www.amazon.com/Blackhawk-SERPA-Level-Sportster-Holster/dp/B001QGI1U8

I own a Glock 23, and that is the type of holster I use and prefer. I highly suggest it.
I use a Blackhawk Serpa, most days for my G21, also use others, but mostly this holster.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
T Vance wrote:
FatboyCykes wrote:
A good all around OC holster is a Blackhawk Serpa level 2 retention holster. It's on the cheap and it works well, comes with belt or paddle attachment and is pretty darn comfortable for my monies. 26.39 on Amazon right now!

http://www.amazon.com/Blackhawk-SERPA-Level-Sportster-Holster/dp/B001QGI1U8

I own a Glock 23, and that is the type of holster I use and prefer. I highly suggest it.
I use a Blackhawk Serpa, most days for my G21, also use others, but mostly this holster.
I use the same for my RIA M1911 .45.

RenegadeMarine

imported post

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will definately look into them. I have final exams today and tomorrow, so i will probably go shopping for a holster onthursday or friday. I have another question about concealment. When you are wearing a jacket or a shirt covering your pistol and your jacket swings open, or shirt uncovers the weapon is thata violation? Or do you have to make sure it stays concealed or stays open? My CPL instructor said that it must stay concealed at all times and that you couldn't have any printing whatsoever. Also I haven't been able to find a good answer about an IWB and open carry. BTW eastmeyers, I grew up in HP and my parents still live on Melville by Louies Pizza.

ghostrider

imported post

RenegadeMarine wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will definately look into them. I have final exams today and tomorrow, so i will probably go shopping for a holster onthursday or friday. I have another question about concealment. When you are wearing a jacket or a shirt covering your pistol and your jacket swings open, or shirt uncovers the weapon is thata violation? Or do you have to make sure it stays concealed or stays open? My CPL instructor said that it must stay concealed at all times and that you couldn't have any printing whatsoever.
Your CPL instructor is wrong. If you haven't already, Go read "WASH, RINSE, REPEAT". Carry a voice recorder with you everywhere you go (people should be doing this even if they don't have a gun, and a video recorder is even better), and practice ahead of time how you will activate. Practiceing situational awareness will allow you time to activate it.

RenegadeMarine wrote:
...Also I haven't been able to find a good answer about an IWB and open carry. BTW eastmeyers, I grew up in HP and my parents still live on Melville by Louies Pizza.
IWB without a CPL is a gray area, and not recommended. With a CPL, it's a gray area because of disclosure. It's legal to do but, it hasn't yet been determined in court if it is concealed, or open.

Leader

imported post

RenegadeMarine wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will definately look into them. I have final exams today and tomorrow, so i will probably go shopping for a holster onthursday or friday. I have another question about concealment. When you are wearing a jacket or a shirt covering your pistol and your jacket swings open, or shirt uncovers the weapon is thata violation? Or do you have to make sure it stays concealed or stays open? My CPL instructor said that it must stay concealed at all times and that you couldn't have any printing whatsoever. Also I haven't been able to find a good answer about an IWB and open carry. BTW eastmeyers, I grew up in HP and my parents still live on Melville by Louies Pizza.

Nothing in the law says anything about keeping the gun concealed. As long as you have a CPL, you may carry open concealed or anything in between.

Common sense says an IWB holster not covered is open carry. Some police say anything other then an OWB holster is concealed & they SAY they will arrest you for it. The test is supposed to be if a reasonable person can tell it's a gun, it's open. If a reasonable person can't tell you are armed, it is concealed.

With a CPL, you are protected carrying IWB exposed. This is the way I usually carry.I really don't know if it is open or concealed. Regular people have commented on it in stores but I have never been questioned by the police.

G

imported post

Leader wrote:
RenegadeMarine wrote:

Nothing in the law says anything about keeping the gun concealed. As long as you have a CPL, you may carry open concealed or anything in between.

Common sense says an IWB holster not covered is open carry. Some police say anything other then an OWB holster is concealed & they SAY they will arrest you for it. The test is supposed to be if a reasonable person can tell it's a gun, it's open. If a reasonable person can't tell you are armed, it is concealed.

With a CPL, you are protected carrying IWB exposed. This is the way I usually carry.I really don't know if it is open or concealed. Regular people have commented on it in stores but I have never been questioned by the police.
Carrying IWB could get you jammed up in a PEZ.

This happened to a member here.

American Sheepdog

imported post

Actually, I'm confused about the whole "gun free zones" if I OC without a CCW. Some say I'm OK and some say no way bro! I've been OC'ing to school property to pick up my son on foot for months now WITHOUT a CPL. No problems yet, and I walk right by the police officer every day. Who knows? Anyone?

G

imported post

American Sheepdog wrote:
Is that law or is that opinion. Hard to tell brother. I sure would like to see the law.
That's why I deleted it.

Researching.

American Sheepdog

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
American Sheepdog wrote:
Is that law or is that opinion. Hard to tell brother. I sure would like to see the law.
That's why I deleted it.

Researching.
I wait on foot across the street at the pickup zone. I guess I'm not "on" school property, but if there's an actual "gun free zone", I'm sure I'm in it.

G

imported post

American Sheepdog wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
American Sheepdog wrote:
That's why I deleted it.

Researching.
I wait on foot across the street at the pickup zone. I guess I'm not "on" school property, but if there's an actual "gun free zone", I'm sure I'm in it.
No. That was a federal thing that got struck down. Some states have enacted their own, but not michigan.

FatboyCykes

imported post

American Sheepdog wrote:
Thanks brother. Confusing ain't it?

W/o a CPL don't step on foot on school property while carrying. With a CPL you legally can, but they can legally with authority ask you to leave.

G

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
American Sheepdog wrote:
Thanks brother. Confusing ain't it?

W/o a CPL don't step on foot on school property while carrying. With a CPL you legally can, but they can legally with authority ask you to leave.
Cite?