• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You can open carry your pistol, properly holstered, at the Restore the Constitution rally on 4-19

TFred

imported post

Folks, speaking for just myself here, I don't really see any need to beat this horse to death.

It seems to me that this organization is something most of us here would support to at least some extent. They used some odd wording to describe what they are planning to do, which was not generally conforming to some of the language conventions we are used to seeing on these forums. But we figured that out, so I think we all have a pretty good idea about what is going on now.

We have plenty of people opposed to our goal here at OCDO, and we have plenty of people who we oppose. We don't need more of either category.

If you want to go participate, then go. If you don't, then don't. Seems to me that about sums it up.

Respectfully,

TFred

wylde007

imported post

Speaking as someone who is attending in a support capacity (I am providing essential equipment for the Fort Hunt portion) I think the OP's message has gotten misconstrued a tad bit and that the "demand" portion indeed should have been worded a little differently.

He (Daniel, is that you?) may not be aware of just how covetously we guard our OC RIGHTS in Virginia, but has taken the steps to attempt to coordinate this event with park services and make minor concessions to the effect of providing a less-confrontational environment by its self-devised criteria.

Some of you have said as much in other threads that you are OK with members demanding that people don't drink and open carry or that they not be invited if they opined that they could, even if they wouldn't.

This is not much different from my perspective, except from the rewording being made from a demand-sounding to a respectfully-request-sounding way.

I can say (and hopefully I speak for at least some of the 4/19 contingent) that the intent is to be armed. The intent is also to create an environment of calm and peaceful (however armed) resistance.

In doing so we would ask that you, citizens of Virginia, if you intend to attend this event and plan to do so armed, you consider honouring the requests of the organizers.

I hope I have done justice to the event and to Virginia, for I intend to stand with them both.

Deo vindice.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I'll turn off the ignore button once.

TFRED is right. This is an event many of us support. Even me, under certain conditions that were gone over at length the last time Danial showed up.

Daniel has a problem with his syntax. Somewhere he decided he was important. He came on this board giving orders then demanded everyone's name, rank and phone number, now he's back telling everyone attending, what to carry and how.

So to answer Daniel's question, no, even if it weren't in NOVA, I wouldn't come and it's because of his high handed manner.

The ignore button just went back on ...permanently.

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

VaLiberty wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
Before getting into that, I'd have to know if you actually have some intention of possibly attending, or if you're merely throwing out a hypothetical.
:banghead:

So are you really considering going? Are you REALLY going to show up carrying a pistol unholstered?

In any event,I would assume most on here know what it means to carry properly holstered, and that no one plans on attending in any other manner.

To set things straight,I did not "demand" anyone's info, and I'm not claiming any authority to "order" anyone to do anything, simply walking a fine and delicate line by setting guidelines and rules for this event. This is not easy to set up, but I and others are doing everything we can to make this event possible and make it safe and legal.

This rally in not about me personally. This is about having a "Restore the Constitution" rally at a firearms carry legal location as close to DC as possible.

If you don't like the idea of voicing a desire for the Constitution to be restored or if you think the government is already following the Constitution, then don't attend.

If you don't like that it's being held in a firearms carry legal location, don't attend.

The Donkey

imported post

MSNBCis reporting that this guy -- Vanden. . .something -- from Alabama, who has been successfully agitating for people to throw rocks through the windows of local democratic party headquarters, will be one of the speakers at this rally.

Is that true?

Jonesy

imported post

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
VaLiberty wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
Before getting into that, I'd have to know if you actually have some intention of possibly attending, or if you're merely throwing out a hypothetical.

So are you really considering going? Are you REALLY going to show up carrying a pistol unholstered?

In any event,I would assume most on here know what it means to carry properly holstered, and that no one plans on attending in any other manner.

To set things straight,I did not "demand" anyone's info, and I'm not claiming any authority to "order" anyone to do anything, simply walking a fine and delicate line by setting guidelines and rules for this event. This is not easy to set up, but I and others are doing everything we can to make this event possible and make it safe and legal.

This rally in not about me personally. This is about having a "Restore the Constitution" rally at a firearms carry legal location as close to DC as possible.

If you don't like the idea of voicing a desire for the Constitution to be restored or if you think the government is already following the Constitution, then don't attend.

If you don't like that it's being held in a firearms carry legal location, don't attend.

I think that some here are annoyed at you suggesting to us how weshould carry, and what we can carry,properly holstered? Is there a way to carry unproperly holstered?There is no law in Virginia requiring one to carry "properly holstered" nor is there a law requiring carrying long guns the way you suggest.

I agree with others here who have said they agree at least to some extent with what your group seems to be up to, but the way you presented it here was not well handled imho. I will not attend because I am not interested in others negotiating with feds on how I will carry at an event in my backyard in a way that is more restrictive than Va law requires. That being said, I can certainly understand making some concessions for safety.

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

Jonesy wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
VaLiberty wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:

I think that some here are annoyed at you suggesting to us how weshould carry, and what we can carry,properly holstered? Is there a way to carry unproperly holstered?There is no law in Virginia requiring one to carry "properly holstered" nor is there a law requiring carrying long guns the way you suggest.

I agree with others here who have said they agree at least to some extent with what your group seems to be up to, but the way you presented it here was not well handled imho. I will not attend because I am not interested in others negotiating with feds on how I will carry at an event in my backyard in a way that is more restrictive than Va law requires. That being said, I can certainly understand making some concessions for safety.

The wording in the OP's title has more to do with this forum's guidelines than with my desire to make rules for anyone. The reason for the "rules of (non) engagement" is because I am applying for a permit to hold this event in a National Park and there are a lot of sensitive issues involved. I'm not using the words I use because I want to tell anyone what to do. You have to understand that this event will attract a lot of media and law enforcement attention. There are pressures, sensitivities, and considerations galore that Imust take into account in order to make this happen and when communicating the details, especially on this forum.

This event, although originally my idea, is much, much bigger than me, so pleasedon't judge it by what I say on here. Also please understand the enourmous difficulty in putting this thing together and the numerous factorsI have to take into account here.

That being said, I hope you decide to show up and help us make a big statement in support of restoring the Constitution.

I had a previous thread about this event deleted, so I had to edit it to make sure it was within the guidelines of the forum being about the promotion of "properly carried pistols."It's kind of over the top, but it's worded that way for a reason.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The Donkey wrote:
MSNBCis reporting that this guy -- Vanden. . .something -- from Alabama, who has been successfully agitating for people to throw rocks through the windows of local democratic party headquarters, will be one of the speakers at this rally.

Is that true?
http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2010/03/19-april-2010-bring-your-sidearms-and.html

Apparently it is so. With the current "window war" of the past few days, seems this rally might be getting a little more attention.

concerned american

imported post

Folks:

Suggest a deep breath here.

No one associated with this rally, in any way, intended to suggest to our brother and sister Virginians how they "must" comport themselves and their irons.

A conscious decision was taken by the organizers of this event to have the longarms unloaded and back-slung as an deliberate demonstration of peaceful intent.

I would assume that the ladies and gentlemen of the Commonwealth would understand and respect that decision.

I know I do.

Can we please direct our vitriol at the Bad People now? We're in a lot of trouble in this country, and blue on blue fire -- rhetorical or otherwise -- is a bad allocation of resources.

Hope to see all of you there at Fort Hunt and Gravelly Point.

Dreamer

imported post

Can you say "agent provocateur" boys and girls?

The guy's name is Mike Vanderboegh. He is from Alabama, and he IS the guy who is telling people to throw bricks through the windows of Democrat party offices on his blog. Vanderboegh is, at the very least, a fringy wacko, and at the worst, possibly a "AP" plant.

Apparently Mr. Vanderboegh hates the government SOOOO much that he immediately cashes his Social Security Disability checks every month and lives off that as his primary source of income.

I wonder if he gets any additional funding from the same source that Hal Turner is paid from? He sure uses a lot of the same language--almost like he's got the same script-writer. Maybe someone should ask [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-1"][size="-1"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Robert S. Mueller, III if he knows if Vanderboegh is on the same payroll?[/font][/size][/size][/font]

Watch your step, folks. There are rats aboard the ship...

I will be as far away from DC as I can be on 19 April. Most likely, I will be at home, doing school work, and calling my sister to wish her "happy birthday", because THAT is the only historical event that falls on that day which is worth recognizing, in my books.

I'd love to participate in both of the marches, but honestly, I have a REALLY bad feeling about it all, and I think that I'd be more effective working locally.

Plus, I don't have a gas mask and Level III body armor that matches my Serpa, and for these events, I get the feeling that BOTH of those items may be required safety gear. You gotta remember that the most-recruited MOS for folks leaving the military by DHS, FBI, and Secret Service is "sniper"...

The Donkey

imported post

longwatch wrote:
The Donkey wrote:

Is that true?
http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2010/03/19-april-2010-bring-your-sidearms-and.html

Apparently it is so. With the current "window war" of the past few days, seems this rally might be getting a little more attention.

Thanks Longwatch.

You know, I don't want to sound alarmist, but this guy, Mike Vanderboegh, is a real piece of work.

Check out the websight above.

Vanderboegh is advocating a nationwide war: breaking the windows of democratic offices -- as an alternative (or prelude?)to a shooting war against Health CareLaw supporters -- and apparently there are people accross the country who are following his advise.

Do we support that? Does this sound like the kind of "optics" that we want for the open carry movement?

Barely Illegal: perhaps you can clarify: is this guy an organizer? What is it that you are seeking to accomplish by involving this guy in your rally.

Perhaps then it will be easier to decide which side of the river we wish to be on.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I wasn't exactly in favor of this event from the start, but now my mind reels with ways this event could go bad. I hope it is peaceable and safe, and I think it will probably be pulled off fine, but folks are getting fired up on both sides. Vanderbeogh has been getting a fair amount of death threats after his remarks. It's not hard to see some kind of counter protest, heavy police presence, armed folks who may not have sensible motivations, not a good mix, and when someone does something stupid...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Don’t be causing a stink in Old Virginia
stink%7E0.jpg

That goes for you too ...BARELY ILLEGAL

Jonesy

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
longwatch wrote:
And welcome to all the viewers from MSNBC. Yes this rally is specifically mentioned.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#36010598
See video on this link - pay attention to the title.

Look for listening points at 4:21 and 8:45

Bad ju-ju. Want nothing to do with any of this.

Yata hey

This guy looks like nothing but trouble, I will definitely stay far away from this. To anyone who reads this from the general public, please understand that the vast majority of members here do not in any way advocate violence or support militia type wackos, we are law abiding citizens who believe in the 2nd amendment.

This guy is NOT one of us, and I hate the idea of him in any way being associated with the open carry movement.

curtiswr

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I'm still a little cautious on this event and why they are insisting that people open carry - mixing political messages noyt about gun rights with open carry is not a good idea, especially if we get (rightly ior wrongly) conflated wih law breakers and crack pots - sounds like some folks might want to borrow some of our open carry mojo for their own purposes - I'll be stain' far away:shock:

Remember, this is a publicity game folks.