• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in London!?! (Well in their NEWSPAPER today anyway)

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

http://tinyurl.com/oclondon

Gun lovers in the US test law by wearing weapons to Starbucks

starbucks385_271912a.jpg

Christina Lamb

IT is not exactly Gunfight at the OK Corral — more like Lattes at High Noon — but Starbucks, the coffee chain, has become an unlikely battleground for American gun owners campaigning to carry their weapons openly in public.

Last Thursday morning Jim Snyder walked into a Starbucks branch in Virginia and ordered a tall hot chocolate without cream. On his left hip was his mobile phone. On his right hip was a semi-automatic Browning pistol.

The coffee bar was busy with customers, including a group of mothers with children in pushchairs. Nobody blinked an eyelid.

“I don’t see why I shouldn’t wear my gun to go to a coffee bar,” said Snyder, 59. “If businesses say you can’t bring in a gun, that’s discrimination against a person for doing something that’s legal. It’s like saying we won’t serve people with blue shirts.

“I see my gun as insurance,” he added. “Like I have life insurance to protect my family, car insurance to protect my car, house insurance to protect my house.”

Snyder never used to be a customer of Starbucks. But the past few weeks have seen gun enthusiasts flocking to the coffee chain. They are part of the so-called Open Carry movement testing the laws in the 42 states that allow gun owners to carry weapons in public.

Anti-firearms campaigners have collected 40,000 signatures calling on Starbucks to ban firearms.

Last week the chain pleaded to be left alone. “Advocacy groups from both sides of this issue have chosen to use Starbucks as a way to draw attention to their positions,” the Seattle company said in a statement.

“The political, policy and legal debates around these issues belong in the legislatures and courts, not in our stores.”

Many Americans are fiercely protective of their right to carry guns despite high-profile school shootings such as the Columbine massacre in Colorado in 1999, in which 15 died, and the shootings at Virginia Tech in April 2007, when a student shot and killed 32 before turning his gun on himself.

“The right to bear arms is a fundamental right and part of what our founding fathers put in the constitution,” said Ed Levine, a member of Open Carry in Virginia. “That’s not for any coffee bar to decide.”

Levine, who last week went for chicken wings at the Buffalo Wing Factory in Sterling with 34 friends all packing pistols, said that “carrying a gun is like wearing socks. It’s part of your wardrobe. Like an accessory — but one that saves lives”.

Gun sales rose 39% last year and 24 states passed laws to ease restrictions on gun ownership. Arizona and Virginia recently approved bills making it legal to carry concealed weapons in bars. Tennessee voted to allow guns in playgrounds.

The Supreme Court is expected to end a 30-year ban on handguns soon in Chicago. The appeal comes 18 months after it lifted a similar ban in Washington. A wave of similar challenges is expected across the country.

Gun control lobbyists say President Barack Obama has failed to deliver on campaign promises to close loopholes that allow unlicensed dealers at gun shows to sell firearms without background checks or to clamp down on the trafficking of illegal guns.

Instead, Obama has signed bills allowing guns to be carried on trains and in national parks. “He’s signed a couple of pieces of legislation that weakened the few gun laws on the books,” said Paul Helmke, president of the pro-gun control Brady campaign.

2a4all

imported post

I'm puzzled as to why people think gun owners are "testing the law". What law? There is no OC law (in Va).

Damn pesky colonials. First, they bitched about a tea tax. Now, they have Tea Parties and wear their guns to coffee houses. The Crown is well rid of them! :dude:

AIC869

imported post

ed wrote:
Many Americans are fiercely protective of their right to carry guns despite high-profile school shootings such as the Columbine massacre in Colorado in 1999, in which 15 died, and the shootings at Virginia Tech in April 2007, when a student shot and killed 32 before turning his gun on himself.
Nice spin/caveat they put in there... Should be more like "in light of" instead.

Good job, Ed! :dude:

curtiswr

imported post

I just don't get the "test the law" line being used in local, national, and now international outlets. I guess they either interviewed the wrong person at the beginning of this Starbucks nonsense or they just never bothered to get their facts straight in the first place.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

ed wrote:
“The right to bear arms is a fundamental right and part of what our founding fathers put in the constitution,” said Ed Levine, a member of Open Carry in Virginia. “That’s not for any coffee bar to decide.”
She mis-quoted me here. This makes it sound like a coffee bar can't decide if I carry in their store.

Ed

Dreamer

imported post

If people in the media would care to actually STUDY history rather than make stuff up to conjure "Wild West" images that are based on the movies, they would realize that the most crime ridden (and most gun-unfriendly) cities in the US could only DREAM that they had crime rates as low as the "OK Corral"...

In that historical gunfight, three men were killed--all three were criminals (horse and mule thieves and stagecoach robbers). Only 30 shots were fired TOTAL--that's shots fired by BOTH sides...

And the FACT of the matter is that in 1881, the City of tombstone enacted (six month before this event) an ABSOLUTE prohibition of the carrying ANY deadly weapons , including pistols and bowie knives, with a few specific exceptions.

Of course, why should any journalist let the historical facts get in the way of a good headline...

On an average Friday night in DC or NY or LA or Chicago, I'd venture that there are 30 shots fired every two or three hours and THOUSANDS of illegally-carried firearms. These cities can only DREAM of the sort of order, peace, and civility that Tombstone enjoyed for the majority of it's existance...