Thread: Can I ship ammunition to California? Help!

Post imported post

I had some extra ammo that's been sitting around for a while so I decided to put it on Gunbroker. A guy bought it, but he's in California. I know they passed some draconian laws there recently, but I don't know what is in effect yet. I need some real answers before I turn this fellow away:

1) Can I still ship handgun ammo to California?

2) Do I need any special license or permit from California to ship it there?

I figure all I need for most states is a signed statement that he is over 21 and it is not illegal for him to possess the ammo. But California is a mess of BS.

Post imported post

Doesn't go into effect until 2011 and we'll have it tied up in court by then anyway...

Post imported post

I THOUGHT it was illegal since Feb 2010 =(

Post imported post

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...%2C_Ammunition

The bill would provide, subject to exceptions, that commencing February 1, 2011, the delivery or transfer of ownership of handgun ammunition may only occur in a face-to-face transaction, with the deliverer or transferor being provided bona fide evidence of identity of the purchaser or other transferee. A violation of these provisions would be a misdemeanor.

Post imported post

SWEEET!!!! Thanks Cato!

Post imported post

cato wrote:
    Doesn't go into effect until 2011 and we'll have it tied up in court by then anyway...
    Until then, do I need any type of license or permit to sell/ship to a Californian?

Post imported post

No- Not that I know of... its business as normal... just the UPS "hazard" shipping bs thing they make you purchase (yes that is the technical term) LoL!

Post imported post

pkbites wrote:
    cato wrote:
    Until then, do I need any type of license or permit to sell/ship to a Californian?
    In most cases, no. You don't need to do anything for ammo. If you were an FFL holder shipping firearms to a California FFL, then you would need to register with the CA DOJ. Private firearm shipments to CA FFLs are not required to do this. Neither are 03 C&R FFLs and 06 Ammo FFLs.
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

"Live Free or Die"

Post imported post

Hold on.

Yes it is legal to send ammunition.

But you CANNOT send it via regularUSPS, United States Postal Service.

Ok?

Just saying, thats something you need to know.

Also you should send it to me, thats the best way to doit. :P

Post imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
    Hold on.

But you CANNOT send it via regularUSPS, United States Postal Service.

Ok?

I know. And it's a pain because now I have to go out to the UPS place which is out of my way. I sell rifles and handguns online and ship via the post office all the time. They're cheaper and always near.

Usually I put "no sales to California" on my auctions, but I forgot this time. I'd hate to have to tell this guy he can't have the item he won.

Post imported post

pkbites wrote:
    Hold on.

But you CANNOT send it via regularÂ*USPS, United States Postal Service.

Ok?

Â*

Â*

I know. And it's a pain because now I have to go out to the UPS place which is out of my way. I sell rifles and handguns online and ship via the post office all the time. They're cheaper and always near.

Usually I put"no sales to California" on my auctions , but I forgot this time. I'd hate to have to tell this guy he can't have the item he won.
    WEAK!

Post imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
    pkbites wrote:
    Usually I put"no sales to California" on my auctions , but I forgot this time. I'd hate to have to tell this guy he can't have the item he won.
    WEAK!
    Why is it weak? I'm not set up to sell guns in California. Usually I don't sell ammo.

Post imported post

Also you should send it to me, thats the best way to doÂ*it. :P
    I'm sorry, this is blatantly, patently false. FUD big time, here.

My address is far more reliable. :P

Post imported post

pkbites wrote:
    pullnshoot25 wrote:
    pkbites wrote:
    WEAK!
    Why is it weak? I'm not set up to sell guns in California. Usually I don't sell ammo.
    Honestly, I really hate it when people do this for guns which are perfectly legal in California.

Since you have to ship to an FFL no matter what, it's not like you really even need to know the law. If someone tries to buy something illegal, the FFL will never transfer it.

So, a big -1 and a F U to you, sir.

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    Honestly, I really hate it when people do this for guns which are perfectly legal in California.

Since you have to ship to an FFL no matter what, it's not like you really even need to know the law. If someone tries to buy something illegal, the FFL will never transfer it.

You're talking out of your arsh. As a licensed dealer I do have to know what the law is before I ship something out.

And as of now I am not set up to sell guns in California.

California adds to it's gun laws so often it's a hassle to keep up. If the people of that state are so stupid as to tolerate their rights being trampled than I don't want to do business with them anyway.

But seeing I forgot to put the "no sales to California" notice on my auction I think it would be quite crappy to refuse to sell to the guy that already won.

Post imported post

pkbites wrote:
    marshaul wrote:

You're talking out of your arsh. As a licensed dealer I do have to know what the law is before I ship something out.

California adds to it's gun laws so often it's a hassle to keep up. If the people of that state are so stupid as to tolerate their rights being trampled than I don't want to do business with them anyway.

But seeing I forgot to put the "no sales to California" notice on my auction I think it would be quite crappy to refuse to sell to the guy that already won.

Ouch....I don't think this is going help you find new customers here.

What do you supposed "we" people do? Over run the state capital by force?

Post imported post

camsoup wrote:
    pkbites wrote:
    marshaul wrote:

Ouch....I don't think this is going help you find new customers here.

What do you supposed "we" people do? Over run the state capital by force?
    Thanks for calling us stupid. You certainly know how to promote your business.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

Post imported post

Oy vey.

Post imported post

Gundude wrote:
    Thanks for calling us stupid.
    Your welcome. Thanks for the F-U before because I indicated that doing business in California was too much of a hassle to deal with. You're quite the gentleman yourself.

How would you describe the idiocy of a people who collectively vote their liberties away? I routinely refer to my fellow Cheeseheads as morons for electing, and then re-electing Diamond Jim Doyle. They're complete idiots for doing so! I calls 'em as I sees 'em!
    But even with that anti-gun freak in office it's still easier to do business here than in California.

Post imported post

Penal code 13294 A (5) Anyone from Wisconsin selling or shipping ammuntion to California will have all body openings surgically closed and all digits removed.

:what:
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

Post imported post

pkbites wrote:

Usually I put "no sales to California" on my auctions, but I forgot this time. I'd hate to have to tell this guy he can't have the item he won.
    Maybe you should just sell cheese, door to door. You screwed up, man up and deal with it.