Thread: Open carry at The Dock at Lansdownes?

Post imported post

Has anyone OC'd at The Dock? Any issues?

(Leesburg, VA area)
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

Richmond - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I believe I recall mention that any docks spanning out into the Potomac areconsidered to bein Maryland and as such are governed by Maryland law. Personally, I think that sounds ridiculous, but it would not suprise me one bit.

Well, ignore that as the place in question is a dock in name only.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

230therapy wrote:
    Has anyone OC'd at The Dock? Any issues?

(Leesburg, VA area)
    I have carried there about 5 times with no issues.. I was carrying there last night from about 4:30PM till 8PM.

Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Thanks Ed! I have to show off the new Safariland holster.
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

Post imported post

I OC'd at The Dock. There were no issues, but I believe nobody noticed either.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

230therapy wrote:
    I OC'd at The Dock. There were no issues, but I believe nobody noticed either.
    That's almost always the case. No one notices and those that do, don't think anything of it.

Post imported post

Try to wrap your heads around this one:

Appendix A of the Compact of 1785:
    "And all piracies, crimes and offences, committed on the said parts of Chesapeake bay and Pocamoke river, by any citizen of the commonwealth of Virginia, or the state of Maryland, either against the other, shall be tried in the court of that state of which the offender is a citizen. The jurisdiction of each state over the river Patowmack shall be exercised in the same manner as is prescribed for the before-mentioned parts of the Chesapeake bay and Pocamoke river in every respect, except in the case of piracies, crimes and offenses, committed by persons not citizens of either state, upon persons not citizens of either state, in which case the offenders shall be tried by the court of the state to which they shall first be brought..."

This reads as though a citizen of Virginia who commits a crime or offense on the Potomac river against Maryland (or a MD citizen) would be tried in Virginia. That's where my brain gets tied in knots. Could a Court of Virginia try a person for a crime of another state, for which no comparable crime exists in Virginia (or for that matter, even if a comparable crime does exist in Virginia)? If so, has that ever happened before? If so, to whom? Or is this appendix just a fancy way of saying "citizens of Virginia shall be under the jurisdiction of Virginia; citizens of Maryland shall be under the jurisdiction of Maryland; citizens of neither committing crimes against citizens of neither shall be under the jurisdiction of the state to which they're first brought." Are these really stupid questions?

There is a related thread here.

By the way, here's the cite for the Maryland/Virginia boundary, officially determined in 1877.

Article Fourth of the Black-Jenkins Award of 1877:
    Virginia is entitled not only to full dominion over the soil to low-water mark on the south shore of the Potomac, but has a right to such use of the river beyond the line of low-water mark as may be necessary to the full enjoyment of her riparian ownership, without impeding the navigation or otherwise interfering with the proper use of it by Maryland, agreeably to the compact of seventeen hundred and eighty-five.

Post imported post

virginiatuck wrote:

"And all piracies, crimes and offences, committed on the said parts of Chesapeake bay and Pocamoke river, by any citizen of the commonwealth of Virginia, or the state of Maryland, either against the other, shall be tried in the court of that state of which the offender is a citizen.* The jurisdiction of each state over the river Patowmack shall be exercised in the same manner as is prescribed for the before-mentioned parts of the Chesapeake bay and Pocamoke river in every respect, except in the case of piracies, crimes and offenses, committed by persons not citizens of either state, upon persons not citizens of either state, in which case the offenders shall be tried by the court of the state to which they shall first be brought..."

This reads as though a citizen of Virginia who commits a crime or offense on the Potomac river against Maryland (or a MD citizen) would be tried in Virginia.* That's where my brain gets tied in knots.* Could a Court of Virginia try a person for a crime of another state, for which no comparable crime exists in Virginia (or for that matter, even if a comparable crime does exist in Virginia)?* If so, has that ever happened before?* If so, to whom?* Or is this appendix just a fancy way of saying "citizens of Virginia shall be under the jurisdiction of Virginia; citizens of Maryland shall be under the jurisdiction of Maryland; citizens of neither committing crimes against citizens of neither shall be under the jurisdiction of the state to which they're first brought."* Are these really stupid questions?

By the way, here's the cite for the Maryland/Virginia boundary, officially determined in 1877.

Virginia is entitled not only to full dominion over the soil to low-water mark on the south shore of the Potomac, but has a right to such use of the river beyond the line of low-water mark as may be necessary to the full enjoyment of her riparian ownership, without impeding the navigation or otherwise interfering with the proper use of it by Maryland, agreeably to the compact of seventeen hundred and eighty-five.
    What I can't wrap my head around is how does your post relate to THIS thread?
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    virginiatuck wrote:

"And all piracies, crimes and offences, committed on the said parts of Chesapeake bay and Pocamoke river, by any citizen of the commonwealth of Virginia, or the state of Maryland, either against the other, shall be tried in the court of that state of which the offender is a citizen. The jurisdiction of each state over the river Patowmack shall be exercised in the same manner as is prescribed for the before-mentioned parts of the Chesapeake bay and Pocamoke river in every respect, except in the case of piracies, crimes and offenses, committed by persons not citizens of either state, upon persons not citizens of either state, in which case the offenders shall be tried by the court of the state to which they shall first be brought..."

This reads as though a citizen of Virginia who commits a crime or offense on the Potomac river against Maryland (or a MD citizen) would be tried in Virginia. That's where my brain gets tied in knots. Could a Court of Virginia try a person for a crime of another state, for which no comparable crime exists in Virginia (or for that matter, even if a comparable crime does exist in Virginia)? If so, has that ever happened before? If so, to whom? Or is this appendix just a fancy way of saying "citizens of Virginia shall be under the jurisdiction of Virginia; citizens of Maryland shall be under the jurisdiction of Maryland; citizens of neither committing crimes against citizens of neither shall be under the jurisdiction of the state to which they're first brought." Are these really stupid questions?

What I can't wrap my head around is how does your post relate to THIS thread?
    Icetera's post about the Maryland border.

Post imported post

OK.. the DOCK is a restaurant in leesburg.. it is not a DOCK that extends out into any water.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    OK.. the DOCK is a restaurant in leesburg.. it is not a DOCK that extends out into any water.

G3SecurityGroup.com - Sterling, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Why would they put the Restaurant at the end of a dock in the Potomac River

Post imported post

G3SecurityGroup.com wrote:
    Well, they used to do it because it wasn't legal to gamble in Virginia, but it was in Maryland.

Post imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
    G3SecurityGroup.com wrote:
    Well, they used to do it because it wasn't legal to gamble in Virginia, but it was in Maryland.
    Riverboat on the Potomac in Colonial Beach is half in VA and Half over the Potomac in Maryland. If you carry there din't cross the line.

Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."