Thread: Broken down firearm?

Post imported post

Could someone here elaborate on the exact legal definition of firearm? for instance if I were to field strip my firearm and only bring half of my ex XD 40 into a pistol free zone would it be considered a firearm? On that same note if I were to give half of my firearm to my wife who is not a CPL holder would that be legal for her to possess?
    What about a loaded magazine?

Post imported post

it might be that the serial numbered frame is the "firearm"!
    a guy in oregon cant take his gun to school, so he pad locks the frame to his car, and takes the mag and slide with him!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Post imported post

On an XD 40, though, there is a serial number on the frame, barrel, and slide.

Post imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
    On an XD 40, though, there is a serial number on the frame, barrel, and slide.
    my stars also have multiple serial numbers too, but the frame is the only part that is official,, you can buy a barrel, or a slide mail ordered to your house. no ffl!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

8.3t “Firearm” defined.
    Sec. 3t.

The word “firearm”, except as otherwise specifically defined in the statutes, shall be construed to include any weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by using explosives, gas or air as a means of propulsion, except any smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for propelling BB's not exceeding .177 calibre by means of spring, gas or air.
    (e) "Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 30 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals it as a firearm.

Post imported post

To the BATF the grip and rails is the part they consider to be a firearm.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    To the BATF the grip and rails is the part they consider to be a firearm.
    The ATF says the frame/receiver of the gun is the firearm - as you stated, just clarifying.

Post imported post

Yep I was just using the pistol terminology since that was the flavor the OP was discussing,
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."