• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry criteria??

tomob1

imported post

Hi, great site! I've already learned alot here.
I'm in kansas and both open carry and concealed carry. I believe my permit covers me for most carry styles, but what of someone without a concealed permit? what constitutes open carry? how much of the gun/holster needs to be visible? local guy carries a 3" s&w in a shoulder holster without any problems from law enforcement.
what if you're carrying IWB with just the grip exposed(w/o a CC permit)? I tried finding the answer in kansas statutes, but no joy.
thanks in advance
tom

tcmech

imported post

Here in Virginia that is considered to be open carried as long as the shirt is tucked behind the gun (virginia tuck). Every state has a different set of rules to check though.

tomob1

imported post

" long as the shirt is tucked behind the gun "

hopefully it's the same here.
i carry a sig P238 concealed, but i'm thinking about carrying a colt defender open. i bought an IWB for it a few months ago, but it prints too much for concealed.
tom

Dreamer

imported post

What exactly constitutes "concealed" vs. Open Carry varies from state to state, an from police officer to police officer, according to their "interpretation" and mood...

Here in NC, a firearm is considered "open carry" if it is "easily distinguishable as obviously being a real firearm." So technically, in NC, you can carry a firearm in an IWB holster, as long as there is enough of the gun showing for it to be easily recognizable as a gun.

HOWEVER, I've always been of the opinion that if you're going to OC, just get a regular OWB holster. They are more comfortable, more practical, and less likely to be mistaken for "gangsta carry", i.e. just having a gun tucked in your waistband...

In for a penny, in for a pound, I say. Get a Serpa or a Bianchi or a Galco or something. It will be a LOT more comfortable, and makes the firearm a lot easier to deploy should you ever be in the situation where you need it. We all hope and pray we never have to use our firearms to defend ourselves or our loved ones, but if we do, we want to do it in a safe, effective, and efficient manner.

Of course, you need to review and study your laws in your own state, because as I said, the definition of "concealed" varies from state to state...

tomob1

imported post

just get a regular OWB holster.

I have one, but (this is going to sound odd) at my job i need it to be a little more discreet. no one would be terribly surprised to know i'm carrying, but a defender OWB would be like saying "hey, look at my gun! ain't it cool?":D
tom

turbodog

imported post

tomob1 wrote:
just get a regular OWB holster.

I have one, but (this is going to sound odd) at my job i need it to be a little more discreet. no one would be terribly surprised to know i'm carrying, but a defender OWB would be like saying "hey, look at my gun! ain't it cool?":D
tom

That "hey, look at my gun!" thing is something you may have to get used to from the occasional person who questions your motivation for carrying a firearm in the first place. Have a answer for them that makes them go: "Hmmm..didn't look at it that way".

But, if you'd rather not have people thinking your a showoff at work, just carry the Sig concealed when at work. Your armed, they're ignorant of it, everybody's happy.

Away from work, carry your Colt defender in the OWB holster. Know your state and local laws on firearms, then open carry often, open carry with confidence and above all, open carry with courtesy. Be a positive example of a gun owner/carrier.

younggun20

imported post

Utah code 76.10.501
(2) (a) "Concealed dangerous weapon" means a dangerous weapon that is covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence and is readily accessible for immediate use.

I personally did carry my Makarov IWB for a little while, May be a touchy subject and if questioned may be hard to explain to LEO