• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quote from DOL (Washington State)

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

It is my view and my past experience that going around with your hand on your gun is done with the intention of drawing the weapon or preparing to employ the weapon with articulable circumstances.

I could see Joe Citizen being charged under RCW 9.41.270 to intimidate or cause alarm.

A similar incident just occured as 911Boss posted;
"Anyone see the news recently about the guy carrying a shotgun, trying to clear people off of the "Private Rd" while they were at the school bus stop?
Sounds like they arrested him under 9.41.270, it will be interesting to see how the case goes.
Yes, it is a private rd, but it served several houses, not just his and there appears that there may be easement issues as well."

That's when he says a neighbor came out and threatened him with a shotgun.
Despite the possible danger, Fowler snapped a photo of the man with his cell phone. The photo shows the man gripping the shotgun in his right hand.

100306_man_with_shotgun.jpg

Cell phone photo shows a man approaching the Fox Island school bus stop with a shotgun.

Fowler says: "I ask him what he's going to do with it. And he tells me if I don't get off his property, he's going to show me what he's going to do with it. Now, that sounds like a threat to me."

Full Story http://www.komonews.com/news/local/86730372.html

I am sure some here will feel that he was perfectly fine in what he did and yet he committed a crime as described in RCW 9.41.270 as it would not fall under the exceptions of this RCW.
RCW 9.41.270(3)Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:
(a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business;
(b) Any person who by virtue of his or her office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to preserve public safety, maintain public order, or to make arrests for offenses, while in the performance of such duty;
(c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person;
(d) Any person making or assisting in making a lawful arrest for the commission of a felony; or
(e) Any person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments.
Some may want to argue the issue of Place of Abode and if one was to research this in Washington State Case Law you will find that the Place of Abode is in or on your residence in which you reside which is defined as house or dwelling and items physically attached to as a porch, deck or garage but not an unattached garage or out buildings.
Your yard fenced or not would not apply as to your place of abode.
It does not appear he was under threat of unlawful force nor witnessing a felony.

If he would have stayed on his porch and yelled at them from there with his shotgun in hand he would have feel under the protection of the exceptions clause.

This is just an example of how fast things can get out of hand, and if one is observed with their hand on their handgun and depending on the surround circumstances such as actions, statements or even a stinking look could be considered alarming by some.

Personally I have no need to put my hand on my gun unless I am going to do something with it.

Bear 45/70

imported post

BigDave wrote:
It is my view and my past experience that going around with your hand on your gun is done with the intention of drawing the weapon or preparing to employ the weapon with articulable circumstances.

I could see Joe Citizen being charged under RCW 9.41.270 to intimidate or cause alarm.

A similar incident just occured as 911Boss posted;
"Anyone see the news recently about the guy carrying a shotgun, trying to clear people off of the "Private Rd" while they were at the school bus stop?
Sounds like they arrested him under 9.41.270, it will be interesting to see how the case goes.
Yes, it is a private rd, but it served several houses, not just his and there appears that there may be easement issues as well."

That's when he says a neighbor came out and threatened him with a shotgun.
Despite the possible danger, Fowler snapped a photo of the man with his cell phone. The photo shows the man gripping the shotgun in his right hand.

100306_man_with_shotgun.jpg

Cell phone photo shows a man approaching the Fox Island school bus stop with a shotgun.

Fowler says: "I ask him what he's going to do with it. And he tells me if I don't get off his property, he's going to show me what he's going to do with it. Now, that sounds like a threat to me."

Full Story http://www.komonews.com/news/local/86730372.html

I am sure some here will feel that he was perfectly fine in what he did and yet he committed a crime as described in RCW 9.41.270 as it would not fall under the exceptions of this RCW.
RCW 9.41.270(3)Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:
(a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business;
(b) Any person who by virtue of his or her office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to preserve public safety, maintain public order, or to make arrests for offenses, while in the performance of such duty;
(c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person;
(d) Any person making or assisting in making a lawful arrest for the commission of a felony; or
(e) Any person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments.
Some may want to argue the issue of Place of Abode and if one was to research this in Washington State Case Law you will find that the Place of Abode is in or on your residence in which you reside which is defined as house or dwelling and items physically attached to as a porch, deck or garage but not an unattached garage or out buildings.
Your yard fenced or not would not apply as to your place of abode.
It does not appear he was under threat of unlawful force nor witnessing a felony.

If he would have stayed on his porch and yelled at them from there with his shotgun in hand he would have feel under the protection of the exceptions clause.

This is just an example of how fast things can get out of hand, and if one is observed with their hand on their handgun and depending on the surround circumstances such as actions, statements or even a stinking look could be considered alarming by some.

Personally I have no need to put my hand on my gun unless I am going to do something with it.
Your opinion is not even backed up by you being a lawyerwith at least half a chance of understanding the law. Once again you have taken the anti-gun crowds point of view of the situation. Your opinion is worthless like every other admin flunky I ever met or had to deal with.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Your opinion is not even backed up by you being a lawyerwith at least half a chance of understanding the law. Once again you have taken the anti-gun crowds point of view of the situation. Your opinion is worthless like every other admin flunky I ever met or had to deal with.
LOL who said I was a lawyer :lol: Not I.

Yawnnnnnn! You Bore me Bear ;)

Bear 45/70

imported post

BigDave wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:

You and your scewed view do however both me because the internet then turns around and makes you nonsense into fact. However, you bother my like a flea or a tick. But your opinions are not only counter to any pro-gun person I ever met. But then what would one expect for an S-3 weenie. Oh and you spout opinions and interpretations of the law with no cite to back them up other than to quote what the law says rather than a courts opinion of that law was or even legislative intent.

joeroket

imported post

Bear, Big Dave's opinion is backed up by case law about what "in a persons place of abode" means. There are two that I know of that state it does not extend to real property that is not directly attached to the persons dwelling.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:

You and your scewed view do however both me because the internet then turns around and makes you nonsense into fact. However, you bother my like a flea or a tick. But your opinions are not only counter to any pro-gun person I ever met. But then what would one expect for an S-3 weenie. Oh and you spout opinions and interpretations of the law with no cite to back them up other than to quote what the law says rather than a courts opinion of that law was or even legislative intent.
Legal definition
Abode
One's home; habitation; place of dwelling; or residence. Ordinarily means "domicile." Living place impermanent in character. The place where a person dwells. Residence of a legal voter. Fixed place of residence for the time being. For Service of Process, one's fixed place of residence for the time being; his or her "usual place of abode."

Hmm well lets take a look at Washington State Case Law for what is an abode, and now how about those decks, porches, attached garage.

35 Wn. App. 96, STATE v. HALEY

[3] Weapons - Intimidation With Weapon - Abode Exception - What Constitutes - Deck. For purposes of the exception to the crime of intimidation with a weapon for acts committed while in the actor's place of abode (RCW 9.41.270(3)(a)), a deck attached to a dwelling constitutes a part of a place of abode.

Court of Appeals: Holding that the deck was part of the juvenile's "place of abode" for purposes of the statutory exception to the definition of the crime, the court REVERSES the judgment.

Oh now we have more, the backyard or property outside the abode.

482 State v. Smith July 2003
118 Wn. App. 480

AGID, J. - James Smith appeals his conviction for unlawful display of a weapon in violation of RCW 9.41.270(1). The issue is whether Smith’s display of a weapon in his backyard falls within the “place of abode” exception to the statute. RCW 9.41.270(3)(a). Smith’s actions do not fall within the exception because a backyard is not “in” a person’s place of abode. We therefore affirm.

Bear do you need something to drink while you are choking down your last post? ;)

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

You guys aren't really going to try and engage bear in an intelligent conversation are you?

Let me save you the trouble...

-If you disagree with him you are not only wrong, but an idiot, a punk and/or an internet tough guy.

-He has "been there done that" for everything, or else has some high power"friend" who has, therefore making him an expert on everything. (You know, like his lawyer friend who has argued cases before SCOTUS and explained to him the system is designed soley to make lawyers money...)

-Any law he disagrees with is rendered invalid and illegal and/or unconstitutional. Anyone who supports such laws is a government lacky.

I certainly haven't missed him in his absence, sorry to see he has returned. I might have to start my informal poll again....

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

911Boss wrote:
You guys aren't really going to try and engage bear in an intelligent conversation are you?

-If you disagree with him you are not only wrong, but an idiot, a punk and/or an internet tough guy.

-He has "been there done that" for everything, or else has some high power"friend" who has, therefore making him an expert on everything. (You know, like his lawyer friend who has argued cases before SCOTUS and explained to him the system is designed soley to make lawyers money...)

-Any law he disagrees with is rendered invalid and illegal and/or unconstitutional. Anyone who supports such laws is a government lacky.

I certainly haven't missed him in his absence, sorry to see he has returned. I might have to start my informal poll again....

+1 Don't feed the troll. (Some trolls live a lot longer than others.)

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Bookman wrote:
+1 Don't feed the troll. (Some trolls live a lot longer than others.)
+1

I wonder what they would say about using your pistol as an armrest. I have a high ride holster and sometimes find myself resting my arm on my pistol. Could be viewed as extra retention.

Bear 45/70

imported post

911Boss wrote:

Yep, you are the same arrogant A--hole you were before. You are just like Bobo, you'renever wrong and you can't be criticized because you are a dispatcher, AKA a glorified clerk.

911Boss

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Yep, you are the same arrogant A--hole you were before. You are just like Bobo, you'renever wrong and you can't be criticized because you are a dispatcher, AKA a glorified clerk.
Actually (unlike you) I can admit when I am wrong and I can have a difference of opinion with someone without it turning into personal attacks or threats (unlike you). The above is classic bearsh!t and proves my point. Accuse your target of the very behavior you exemplify (in this case arrogance), then make demeaning and disparaging remarks about anything unrelated and irrelevant to the subject.

You should recall (even with your feeble old mind) that I have no problem stooping to your level and responding in kind to your boorish attacks. Criticize me all you want, I'd rather be a "glorified clerk" than a mentally debilitated, "quasi"-disabled vet sucking off the teat of the very government you so clearly despise. Interesting thatyour hate for the "system" doesn't keep you fromsuckling up to itevery month when youcash yourSSI and disability checks.

It is my honest hope that when you finally stroke out during one of your keyboard commando attacks, and your caretaker calls 911, the person who answers the callscrews it up (like you know all government employees do) and you slowly and painfully die waiting for help that will not arrive in time.

You are the same caustic prick you have always been. I see from your previous post you didn't learn to spell any better during yoursabbatical from the list, and you are still the same miserable f uck you always were.

You were never successful in shouting me down before, do you really think you will do any better this time?

I will call you out everytime you get outta line, just like before. Do the list a favor and crawl back into the hole you've spent the past 14 months in.You certainly weren't missed around here.

If anyone would like to vote in the "What do you think of bear" poll, it has been officially reopened. PM me and I'll add your votes to the tally. If I recall correctly, it stands at 23 out of 25 being in line with my thoughts and opinion of him being the single greatest embarrassment this site has to offer. For the record, the two votes against my opinion were bear himself (no surprise there) and SV_libertarian who while supportive of bear in general, was still apologetic ofhis behavior, seemingly able to accept it because in person bear is evidently more personable and tolerable than he is on the internet.

PS- For those who are untainted by bear's past history and our little duel- I realize that my posts may seem a little harsh and I generally would not post in such fashion.

Due to bear's past posts and interactions with many members on this board, along with his personal attacks and threats to me, I decided that someone needed to stand up to him and call him on his attacks.It was a happy day and there was much rejoicing back in Nov of 08 when he went away. I am sure there was equal dismay among board veterans tosee his return last month.

I am well aware that my decision is clearly off of the "high-road", but sometimes when you ignore things they don't go away and you must fight firewith fire. For his drivel to go unchallenged in this public forum, visitors could think thatopen carry advocates and gun owners in general subscribe to similar beliefs, painting us all with his infected brush.I want them to know instead that he is a vocal but insignificant minority and the rest of us share little with him.

Bear 45/70

imported post

911Boss wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Actually (unlike you) I can admit when I am wrong and I can have a difference of opinion with someone without it turning into personal attacks or threats (unlike you). The above is classic bearsh!t and proves my point. Accuse your target of the very behavior you exemplify (in this case arrogance), then make demeaning and disparaging remarks about anything unrelated and irrelevant to the subject.

You should recall (even with your feeble old mind) that I have no problem stooping to your level and responding in kind to your boorish attacks. Criticize me all you want, I'd rather be a "glorified clerk" than a mentally debilitated, "quasi"-disabled vet sucking off the teat of the very government you so clearly despise. Interesting thatyour hate for the "system" doesn't keep you fromsuckling up to itevery month when youcash yourSSI and disability checks.

It is my honest hope that when you finally stroke out during one of your keyboard commando attacks, and your caretaker calls 911, the person who answers the callscrews it up (like you know all government employees do) and you slowly and painfully die waiting for help that will not arrive in time.

You are the same caustic prick you have always been. I see from your previous post you didn't learn to spell any better during yoursabbatical from the list, and you are still the same miserable f uck you always were.

You were never successful in shouting me down before, do you really think you will do any better this time?

I will call you out everytime you get outta line, just like before. Do the list a favor and crawl back into the hole you've spent the past 14 months in.You certainly weren't missed around here.

If anyone would like to vote in the "What do you think of bear" poll, it has been officially reopened. PM me and I'll add your votes to the tally. If I recall correctly, it stands at 23 out of 25 being in line with my thoughts and opinion of him being the single greatest embarrassment this site has to offer. For the record, the two votes against my opinion were bear himself (no surprise there) and SV_libertarian who while supportive of bear in general, was still apologetic ofhis behavior, seemingly able to accept it because in person bear is evidently more personable and tolerable than he is on the internet.

PS- For those who are untainted by bear's past history and our little duel- I realize that my posts may seem a little harsh and I generally would not post in such fashion.

Due to bear's past posts and interactions with many members on this board, along with his personal attacks and threats to me, I decided that someone needed to stand up to him and call him on his attacks.It was a happy day and there was much rejoicing back in Nov of 08 when he went away. I am sure there was equal dismay among board veterans tosee his return last month.

I am well aware that my decision is clearly off of the "high-road", but sometimes when you ignore things they don't go away and you must fight firewith fire. For his drivel to go unchallenged in this public forum, visitors could think thatopen carry advocates and gun owners in general subscribe to similar beliefs, painting us all with his infected brush.I want them to know instead that he is a vocal but insignificant minority and the rest of us share little with him.
You are worse than I am or ever will be because you claim to be fair and open minded but aren't. You are a bigot and have feet of clay because you are in a position to stop harrassment of OCers but never met a law you didn't like and help enforce them even when you know it is wrong. The worst part is everything you accuse me of you also do while claiming you don't. You actually stalked me before on any thread I posted on and attacked me. But you won't admit to that either just like you deny it here on this thread.Two faced scumb like you are are why causes like this lose good people that not just talk about supporting the cause, but do it everyday with actions.Oh and I'm done responding to you ever again.

911Boss

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
You are worse than I am or ever will be because you claim to be fair and open minded but aren't. You are a bigot and have feet of clay because you are in a position to stop harrassment of OCers but never met a law you didn't like and help enforce them even when you know it is wrong. The worst part is everything you accuse me of you also do while claiming you don't. You actually stalked me before on any thread I posted on and attacked me. But you won't admit to that either just like you deny it here on this thread.Two faced scumb like you are are why causes like this lose good people that not just talk about supporting the cause, but do it everyday with actions.Oh and I'm done responding to you ever again.

Not surprisingly, you are wrong again. I not only claim to be fair and open minded, I actually am. I have been known to change my mind or be convinced that my positionon a topic was wrong.I agree that when it comes to you and your posts, I do stoop to your level since that caliberof exchange appears to tbe the only thing you can understand.That is the extent to which we are a like, and even then we aren't as I acknowledge that it in a perfect world, such postswouldn't happen.

There are all sorts of laws I don't like, but I still follow them. The occasional one I may break such as speeding or rolling a stop, I acknowledge and take responsibility for instead of proclaiming it to be unjust, unconstitutional,or an infringement on my liberty. That is the way society works in the real world.

As to my involvement of "harassing" (note, onlyone "r") OC'ers, I'll just note that the agency I work for has one of the best reputations around in regards to how they handle MWAG calls and our training bulletin on the matter is routinely cited as an example for other agencies. Iam also the author of the communications SOP on how we question the callers making these reports, what to include in the details and how to dispatch them.News flash- we do ask the questions like "is it in a holster" and "beside the gun, what is he doing". When we dispatch the officer we tell them what the full situation is and we also tell callers that OC is legal. Yup, I am right out in front with my jack boots leading the harassment (one "r")parade. Not that this matters any to you sinceyou never let anything like facts get in the way of your accusations.

Unlike you, I fully admit that our little exchanges are juvenile. I don't deny it and you are the ONLYperson I post in such manner towards. You on the other hand refuse to acknolwedge anything you do is in the least bit improper.How exactly did I "stalk" you? By replying in threads that you made posts in? I guess that means that everyone on this board is a stalker then.You poor, poor victim...

I'll start the stop watch and we'll see how long you go before breaking your promise to never reply to me again. I believe it about as much as I do the other crap you spew across the web.

Trigger Dr

imported post

911Boss wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:

Since returning to posting on 2/21/2010, Bear has posted 86 comments, Of those 86, 20 were in good humor or on topic. The remaining 66 were, well you know what I mean. Sorry Bear, I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt. My Bad

deanf

imported post

you are a dispatcher, AKA a glorified clerk.

I'm not sure I really disagree with that, and I did the job for 15 years, and still do it part time . . . .

The job of police officer or firefighter is AKA a glorified garbage man.