Thread: Don't Mess with the DNR

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar

Post imported post

Follow the link, play the video......
    http://www.wqow.com/Global/story.asp?S=12073511

The DNR warden's dash cam recorded the video. He comes around on the left of the screen.

Post imported post

He was also the DNR guy involved with taking Chou Vang, (guy who killed hunters in northwestern Wisconsin) into custody.

Post imported post

I remember when vang did that. We came in from hunting in Chetek WI for breakfast and got the report that a guy was riding up and down the artic trail shooting people in blaze witch turned out to be crap but we were only like twenty miles fron it whent it happened we did not go back out that day. I found out later that a guy I worked with sister was killed in that sad incident. There is a tribute to them in a park in Ricelake, wisconsin

Post imported post

We need to BAN GUNS NOW! that will stop events like this from ever happening again!

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Post imported post

Landose_theghost wrote:
    We need to BAN GUNS NOW! that will stop events like this from ever happening again!

YA THAT WILL DO IT!LOL

Post imported post

I can tell you from past personal experience tat DNR Wardens have no sense of humor at all :what:

Post imported post

Cobbersmom wrote:
    He was also the DNR guy involved with taking Chou Vang, (guy who killed hunters in northwestern Wisconsin) into custody.
    A few of the people that I hunt with Knew all of those people and they would have been hunting with those people if they wouldn't have been on my land. Very sad.

Post imported post

OK, I will admit to ignorance on this, but does a DNR agent have police authority on issues that are not related to "environmental" issues.

I understand them holding someone for poaching. But, shooting a bank robber?

Wisconsin Carry Inc - Founders Club Member
    NRA - Life Member
    3rd generation US Air Force Veteran

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Post imported post

As I understand it they have all the authority of a police officer.

Post imported post

Hubert, I am in no way questioning you. Do you have any proof that they have full police authority. Based on the video, I agree that they must, but I would love to see the state statue or whatever its called to back it.

Wisconsin Carry Inc - Founders Club Member
    NRA - Life Member
    3rd generation US Air Force Veteran

Post imported post

Wardens are certified Law Enforcement Officers by the WI Department Of Justice...

Conservation Wardens are Wisconsin Law Enforcement officers, whose primary responsibility is to protect the natural resources of the state. Their enforcement authority extends throughout the state and includes wildlife, fish, boating, snowmobiling, all terrain vehicles (ATVs), environmental, water regulation and zoning and forestry laws. In addition Conservation Wardens have, full police authority on all DNR owned or managed property and expanded authority elsewhere in the state. For more detailed informationgo to:

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
    Conservation Wardens have, full police authority on all DNR owned or managed property and expanded authority elsewhere in the state. For more detailed informationgo to:
    I missed the "go to" part. The rest is just eager statist marketeering.

Authority expanded beyond a mere citizens might be the authority to crap on a tree or to summarily execute a tree crapper. It apperars IK is preparing his application to the junior-jackoff JBTs.

Post imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    I missed the "go to" part. The rest is just eager statist marketeering.

Authority expanded beyond a mere citizens might be the authority to crap on a tree or to summarily execute a tree crapper. It apperars IK is preparing his application to the junior-jackoff JBTs.
    Daft much? The link (go to) part is above the quote....

Your personal opinion of wardens is irrelevant as they are certified by the State regardless of your approval....

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Post imported post

Well, I know that they can't write a tresspassing ticket. In fact, it states that right in the hunting regulations. I have heard though that some individual wardenshave beendeputized in their counties by the local sherrifs, in which case they could write them. What I do know for sure is that wardens have entirely too much power. Kind of like the DNR's SS.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Post imported post

goforlow wrote:
    OK, I will admit to ignorance on this, but does a DNR agent have police authority on issues that are not related to "environmental" issues.

I understand them holding someone for poaching. But, shooting a bank robber?

In this specific scenerio, their policing authority is irrelevent. The warden is certified by the state to carry afirearm in a vehicle.In strict accordance with WI statutes, deadly forcecould be used by any citizen as thebank robber was threatening human life. Just as you or I may respond to gunfire directed at us by using deadly force, so may the DNR warden regardless of any police powers.

Like it or not, the reality is that this warden is a WI State Certified Law Enforcement Officer.

Post imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
    Well, I know that they can't write a tresspassing ticket. In fact, it states that right in the hunting regulations.
    The paper guideline booklet they give out with your license?

Have you found any reference to Administrative code or Statutes?

Post imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
    Brass Magnet wrote:
    Well, I know that they can't write a tresspassing ticket. In fact, it states that right in the hunting regulations.
    The paper guideline booklet they give out with your license?

Have you found any reference to Administrative code or Statutes?
    Yes, page 38 http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/regs/Deer09.pdf
    Trespassing: Landowners suspecting that individuals are trespassing on their proper-
    ty should contact their local sheriff’s Department or other local law enforcement
    agency. Conservation Wardens do not have the authority to investigate trespass-
    ing complaints.
    No, I haven't checked the statutes. I also know by personal experience that they can't write a ticket for curfew. My brother (who was underage at the time)and his friends were harrassed by a warden while they were fishing at night for walleye and he had to call the sherrif to write the ticket. Probably PO'd that they weren't doing anything wrong; besides violating stupid curfew.

FYI, they never got a ticket. The sherrif said he'd mail it to them (probably to appease the warden) and never did. Guess he decided fishing was a pretty good lawful reason to violate an 11:00 curfew. Good on him.

R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Post imported post

In some respects, Wardens have even more authority than police officers.. I know for a fact that a Warden does NOT need a search warrant in order to search your house for evidence of poaching or some other Natural Resourse violation.

Post imported post

boostintalon96 wrote:
    In some respects, Wardens have even more authority than police officers.. I know for a fact that a Warden does NOT need a search warrant in order to search your house for evidence of poaching or some other Natural Resourse violation.
    They still need probable cause...

Post imported post

You being on your property during deer season IS probable cause and they do have the authority to walk right into your home if they have any (even made-up) reason to suspect you of DNR regulation violation. At least here in Wisconsin, they are the most powerful LEO for 10 days.

Post imported post

hunter9mm wrote:
    You being on your property during deer season IS probable cause and they do have the authority to walk right into your home if they have any (even made-up) reason to suspect you of DNR regulation violation. At least here in Wisconsin, they are the most powerful LEO for 10 days.
    You can be sure I'll test this out if they come and bug me on my property. They justhaven't been challenged yetlike the LEO's that are just nowgetting challenged and sued. I won't be doing anything illegal and don't have a problem calling the sherrif on them... you know.... cause the sherrif can actually right them up for tresspassing.....
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Post imported post

That they can....

But during that 10 day period, a warden trumps a sheriff

Post imported post

hunter9mm wrote:
    That they can....

But during that 10 day period, a warden trumps a sheriff
    The Sheriff is THE chief law enforcement for the County. I pitty the DNR Warden who messes with a Sheriff.

Post imported post

hunter9mm wrote:
    Negative... My money says a judge will trump an overly zealous Warden so long as the Warden does not find something like a poached deer or over your limit of fish in your freezer....

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Post imported post

The Sheriff is also ELECTED by the people. I'm with I_K here, Sheriff wins every time.