• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't Mess with the DNR

barronburke

imported post

I remember when vang did that. We came in from hunting in Chetek WI for breakfast and got the report that a guy was riding up and down the artic trail shooting people in blaze witch turned out to be crap but we were only like twenty miles fron it whent it happened we did not go back out that day. I found out later that a guy I worked with sister was killed in that sad incident. There is a tribute to them in a park in Ricelake, wisconsin

boostintalon96

imported post

Cobbersmom wrote:
He was also the DNR guy involved with taking Chou Vang, (guy who killed hunters in northwestern Wisconsin) into custody.
A few of the people that I hunt with Knew all of those people and they would have been hunting with those people if they wouldn't have been on my land. Very sad.

goforlow

imported post

OK, I will admit to ignorance on this, but does a DNR agent have police authority on issues that are not related to "environmental" issues.

I understand them holding someone for poaching. But, shooting a bank robber?

goforlow

imported post

Hubert, I am in no way questioning you. Do you have any proof that they have full police authority. Based on the video, I agree that they must, but I would love to see the state statue or whatever its called to back it.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Wardens are certified Law Enforcement Officers by the WI Department Of Justice...

[size=-1][font=Verdana,Arial]
[font="Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif"]Conservation Wardens are Wisconsin Law Enforcement officers, whose primary responsibility is to protect the natural resources of the state. Their enforcement authority extends throughout the state and includes wildlife, fish, boating, snowmobiling, all terrain vehicles (ATVs), environmental, water regulation and zoning and forestry laws. In addition Conservation Wardens have, full police authority on all DNR owned or managed property and expanded authority elsewhere in the state. For more detailed informationgo to:
[/font]

[/font][/size]

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
[size="-1"][font="Verdana,Arial"]
[font="Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif"] Conservation Wardens have, full police authority on all DNR owned or managed property and expanded authority elsewhere in the state. For more detailed informationgo to: [/font]
[/font][/size]
I missed the "go to" part. The rest is just eager statist marketeering.

Authority expanded beyond a mere citizens might be the authority to crap on a tree or to summarily execute a tree crapper. It apperars IK is preparing his application to the junior-jackoff JBTs.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
I missed the "go to" part. The rest is just eager statist marketeering.

Authority expanded beyond a mere citizens might be the authority to crap on a tree or to summarily execute a tree crapper. It apperars IK is preparing his application to the junior-jackoff JBTs.

Daft much? The link (go to) part is above the quote....;)

Your personal opinion of wardens is irrelevant as they are certified by the State regardless of your approval....:lol:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, I know that they can't write a tresspassing ticket. In fact, it states that right in the hunting regulations. I have heard though that some individual wardenshave beendeputized in their counties by the local sherrifs, in which case they could write them. What I do know for sure is that wardens have entirely too much power. Kind of like the DNR's SS.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

goforlow wrote:
OK, I will admit to ignorance on this, but does a DNR agent have police authority on issues that are not related to "environmental" issues.

I understand them holding someone for poaching. But, shooting a bank robber?

In this specific scenerio, their policing authority is irrelevent. The warden is certified by the state to carry afirearm in a vehicle.In strict accordance with WI statutes, deadly forcecould be used by any citizen as thebank robber was threatening human life. Just as you or I may respond to gunfire directed at us by using deadly force, so may the DNR warden regardless of any police powers.

Like it or not, the reality is that this warden is a WI State Certified Law Enforcement Officer.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
Well, I know that they can't write a tresspassing ticket. In fact, it states that right in the hunting regulations.
The paper guideline booklet they give out with your license?

Have you found any reference to Administrative code or Statutes?

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
Brass Magnet wrote:
Well, I know that they can't write a tresspassing ticket. In fact, it states that right in the hunting regulations.
The paper guideline booklet they give out with your license?

Have you found any reference to Administrative code or Statutes?

Yes, page 38 http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/regs/Deer09.pdf
Trespassing: Landowners suspecting that individuals are trespassing on their proper-
ty should contact their local sheriff’s Department or other local law enforcement
agency. Conservation Wardens do not have the authority to investigate trespass-
ing complaints.
No, I haven't checked the statutes. I also know by personal experience that they can't write a ticket for curfew. My brother (who was underage at the time)and his friends were harrassed by a warden while they were fishing at night for walleye and he had to call the sherrif to write the ticket. Probably PO'd that they weren't doing anything wrong; besides violating stupid curfew.

FYI, they never got a ticket. The sherrif said he'd mail it to them (probably to appease the warden) and never did. Guess he decided fishing was a pretty good lawful reason to violate an 11:00 curfew. Good on him.

boostintalon96

imported post

In some respects, Wardens have even more authority than police officers.. I know for a fact that a Warden does NOT need a search warrant in order to search your house for evidence of poaching or some other Natural Resourse violation.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

boostintalon96 wrote:
In some respects, Wardens have even more authority than police officers.. I know for a fact that a Warden does NOT need a search warrant in order to search your house for evidence of poaching or some other Natural Resourse violation.
They still need probable cause...

hunter9mm

imported post

You being on your property during deer season IS probable cause and they do have the authority to walk right into your home if they have any (even made-up) reason to suspect you of DNR regulation violation. At least here in Wisconsin, they are the most powerful LEO for 10 days.