• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walking a parade route.

barf

imported post

jensen_lover wrote:
barf wrote:
Am I missing something? Somebody please explain to me why you need to march in a parade to show the masses that something is already legal?

Shouldn't efforts be concentrated on making carrying weapons legal in restaurants that serve alcohol, or school zones, or public buildings, etc.?

Maybe you can get OCtomom to be your first Queen. Good luck with that.

Now what if that was the attitude of blacks during the civil right movement? The civil rights act of 1866 made EVERY citizen equal. It was a law so why all the comotion in the 60's? The reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. says you can make a law so that they don't lynch me, but you can not makethem respect me. You answered your own question, we "need to march to show the masses that something is already legal." Ask 100 people if open carry is legal and see how many get the correct answer. Why do you post on this site if increasing awareness is not a goal of yours?
You're seriously comparing the civil rights movement to raising awareness of open carry? I think you need to re-read (or maybe in your case initially read) your history.

LA Confederate

imported post

jensen_lover wrote:
Now what if that was the attitude of blacks during the civil right movement?  The civil rights act of 1866 made EVERY citizen equal.  It was a law so why all the comotion in the 60's?  The reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. says you can make a law so that they don't lynch me, but you can not make them respect me. 

You're seriously going to quote Michael King as a reputable resource and backup to your argument? I have to assume the above is a legitimate and serious post.

As barf said, methinks you really need to pull the blinders off and read about that scum bag before you cite him as a credible source to quote.

barf

imported post

Don't get your panties in a bunch, sister. I'm sure you'll find a few willing participants that share in your anarchist views.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Plus you wouldn't be at the parade, you would be "IN" the parade.

But as my snub nose has been used in a violent crime I guess I can't carry it
within 1000'. Damn evil gun, can't take it anywhere, always causing trouble.:lol:

4angrybadgers

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Plus you wouldn't be at the parade, you would be "IN" the parade.

But as my snub nose has been used in a violent crime I guess I can't carry it
within 1000'. Damn evil gun, can't take it anywhere, always causing trouble.:lol:
I hear that you can break a gun of its bad habits the same way you "break"/tame a wild horse - wear it out so it doesn't have the energy to fight back. I prescribe as much range time with that "evil gun" as possible, that should cure it of its bad tendencies eventually. :p

jensen_lover

imported post

LA Confederate wrote:
jensen_lover wrote:
Now what if that was the attitude of blacks during the civil right movement? The civil rights act of 1866 made EVERY citizen equal. It was a law so why all the comotion in the 60's? The reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. says you can make a law so that they don't lynch me, but you can not makethem respect me.

You're seriously going to quote Michael King as a reputable resource and backup to your argument? I have to assume the above is a legitimate and serious post.

As barf said, methinks you really need to pull the blinders off and read about that scum bag before you cite him as a credible source to quote.

Who the hell are you talking about? Methinks you need to reread my post.Then methinks you need to read "A Testament of Hope".

How is this any different than the civil rights movement? There were laws on the books since slaves were freed that said blacks are considered equal citizens. Funny that they were not considered equals until... oh wait, most people still do not consider them equal.

There are laws on the books that say open carrying is legal. Funny that every day it seems someone is asked to leave because they are doing something that is not illegal- it is just that noone thinks it is legal.

Task Force 16 wrote:
jensen_lover wrote:
Why don't you all walk in one of the parades? That would be a way to get thousands of people more aware. You can get a big banner in front like this:

OPEN CARRY IS LEGAL

VISIT OPENCARRY.ORG FOR MORE INFO

This is not a new idea correct?
I would be somewhat skeptical of such an idea. Particular when it comes from some one that can be made to feel "like a sissy"while shopping at a Lowe's. :uhoh:

My distaste for Lowe's is completely irrelevant to walking a parade route.

Everyone on here has their head so far up their own ass that if MEM did schedule a parade walking, noone would come. This is a forum dedicated to education and awareness of open carrying but most of you are just on here to bicker. It is much easier to disect other people's ideas than it is to come up with your own.

Maybe a brainstorming forum is needed. Everyone posts their ideas and noone can criticize them.

I pretty much stopped open carrying because I see no reason to support any of you. Why should I be haggled everywhere I go so that people become more aware of open carrying's legality?

4angrybadgers

imported post

jensen_lover wrote:
Everyone on here has their head so far up their own ass that if MEM did schedule a parade walking, noone would come. This is a forum dedicated to education and awareness of open carrying but most of you are just on here to bicker. It is much easier to disect other people's ideas than it is to come up with your own.

Maybe a brainstorming forum is needed. Everyone posts their ideas and noone can criticize them.

I pretty much stopped open carrying because I see no reason to support any of you. Why should I be haggled everywhere I go so that people become more aware of open carrying's legality?
If you stopped open carrying just because you dislike a handful of folks on the forum, then apparently you didn't have much of a reason to OC in the first place...

And I'd like to see MEM put his money where his mouth is and schedule a parade. So far all I've seen is talk. If he actually follows through on it and folks lambaste him for no good reason at all, then you have grounds for some accusation. Until then, you're just spouting off about an issue that doesn't even exist.

jensen_lover

imported post

4angrybadgers wrote:
jensen_lover wrote:

If you stopped open carrying just because you dislike a handful of folks on the forum, then apparently you didn't have much of a reason to OC in the first place...

And I'd like to see MEM put his money where his mouth is and schedule a parade. So far all I've seen is talk. If he actually follows through on it and folks lambaste him for no good reason at all, then you have grounds for some accusation. Until then, you're just spouting off about an issue that doesn't even exist.
There area few reasons I stopped. Only one has to do with people. I do not dislike them it is just hard to support 100 people with 100 different views on the best way of doing things. If the so-called proponents of open carry got together to do something meaningful (that made it better accepted) I would still open carry. When my CCW license comes in I will have zero reasons to open carry. I do not care if people know if it is legal, and that seems to be a common theme here. People know it is legal so why should they try to make others aware. Outside of talking one on one with people that ask about carrying, I think half here would not lift a finger to further awareness.

Masher wrote:
I think the question should be why are you even here if you truly feel that way. Take a hike self serving pig.

Did youread the whole post? I did not feel that way when I first found the site. It is amazing that people can not even see when someone is trying to help.

Take 100's of narrow minded people and give them a forum and see what they accomplish. NOTHING. The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Force feeding people something is not the way to make them agree with it. Keep trying it that way though, maybe it will work soon.

When someone with a fresh set of eyes and new ideas come along, he must be a self serving pig. No way someone is trying to increase awareness of something he does not personally participate in,that is absurd.

georg jetson

imported post

Masher wrote:
I think the question should be why are you even here if you truly feel that way. Take a hike self serving pig.

Normally I ignore these types of posts, but thought it a good chance to remindmy fellowOCers how important it is to keep a professional attitude about us when we post. We are gaining visibility in the community and we need to remember thatweARE the representatives of our cause. :)

BTW. Welcome to the cause Masher :)

barf

imported post

Masher wrote:
thread-pic%20%2831%29.gif
thread-pic%20%2831%29.gif

4angrybadgers

imported post

jensen_lover wrote
There area few reasons I stopped. Only one has to do with people. I do not dislike them it is just hard to support 100 people with 100 different views on the best way of doing things. If the so-called proponents of open carry got together to do something meaningful (that made it better accepted) I would still open carry. When my CCW license comes in I will have zero reasons to open carry. I do not care if people know if it is legal, and that seems to be a common theme here. People know it is legal so why should they try to make others aware. Outside of talking one on one with people that ask about carrying, I think half here would not lift a finger to further awareness.

Masher wrote:

Did youread the whole post? I did not feel that way when I first found the site. It is amazing that people can not even see when someone is trying to help.

Take 100's of narrow minded people and give them a forum and see what they accomplish. NOTHING. The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Force feeding people something is not the way to make them agree with it. Keep trying it that way though, maybe it will work soon.

When someone with a fresh set of eyes and new ideas come along, he must be a self serving pig. No way someone is trying to increase awareness of something he does not personally participate in,that is absurd.
Why do we have to march in a parade to "do something meaningful"? By merely going about our daily lives while openly carrying a firearm in a confident and non-threatening manner (we'll ignore the fact that some folks will think the gun itself is threatening), we help to normalize the appearance of such activity.

I'm not saying that focused activities (OC luncheons, trash pickups, parades, etc.) are bad ideas. What really irritates me is the mindset that we HAVE to go out and make a loud public statement, or else we're not furthering awareness. That line of thought is wrong, and does nothing but alienate those who prefer the less "in-your-face" methods.

Just by openly carrying a pistol on my hip - without making any proclamations or carrying any banners - I am doing something to normalize the concept of OC with the populace at large. And if you look at my "Politeness and courtesy go a long way" thread, I even had the chance to inform a Lowe's Loss Prevention employee of the legality of open carry. Again, this all happened just by going about my daily business while OCing - no marches or parades needed. To say that this is "doing nothing" is an outright lie.

There are a few reasons I stopped. Only one has to do with people. I do not dislike them it is just hard to support 100 people with 100 different views on the best way of doing things. If the so-called proponents of open carry got together to do something meaningful (that made it better accepted) I would still open carry. When my CCW license comes in I will have zero reasons to open carry. I do not care if people know if it is legal, and that seems to be a common theme here. People know it is legal so why should they try to make others aware. Outside of talking one on one with people that ask about carrying, I think half here would not lift a finger to further awareness.
I don't get it, why did you quit OCing just because others didn't participate in activities that you thought fit into "doing something meaningful"? It still doesn't make any sense.

And no, not everyone knows it's legal. That's a major reason for "furthering awareness", isn't it?