• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Anyone listen in on radio scanners?

.45ACPaddy

imported post

I was driving in Lakewood on 88th st near the stellar mart toward Steilacoom blvd and saw about a dozen units near the methodist church on the next street over. Looks like they had the parking lot taped up.

Anyone ever listen in on police radio? I have a fairly old scanner but I don't think it works with whatever newer stuff they use.

EDIT: Added the fact that I was in Lakewood

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Couldn't find anything broadcasting Lakewood PD.

I know someone who works for the Pierce County jail, I'll ask them if they know anything tomorrow.

Mainsail

imported post

Lakewood is dispatched through Tacoma Radio KOA801. I know it's a trunked system, I cannot remember if it's a digital system. If you want a scanner to listen to Tacoma and Lakewood, they're not cheap. The scanner isn't terribly expensive, it's the licensing agreement the scanner manufacturer has to buy from the radio system manufacturer.

PacWest

imported post

I have a trunked scanner I bought a few years ago. It still works for now in my area. There is supposed to be a rebanding going into effect.And alot of trunked systems are going digital. Trunked scanners are not that much around 200 plus or minus. A digital is around 500.

Best time to get one is at Radio Shack is on black friday they usually knock off a sizeable amount of money. Another time it get a deal on one is around easter time too. If you do buy one make sure it is rebandable.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

My 2 meter transceiver receives from 140mhz to 175mhz, and transmits on the ham frequencies of 144-148mhz. Because I have 20 memory spaces, and only 5 or 6 2 meter frequencies I regularly talk on, I took the time to program a couple of local PD frequencies, NOAA weather radio and whatnot in there, and filled the rest with repeaters I can't reach with my antenna yet LOL. I don't bother listening in, but they are there if I'm in the mood, or if the hippies riot around here again.

Analog scanners are cheap as folks have mentioned. http://www.radioreference.com is a good place to go for frequency listings.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

I really don't feel like dropping that much dough on a scanner, I'd rather buy another gun or a case or two of ammunition, LOL!

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
Paddy, I read your spending preferences to Mrs Duck. Her laughing response was, ''There's a man with his priorities straight. I agree.

MD
If only more women... Heck, if only more PEOPLE shared her mentality, the world would be a better place!