• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boston Globe - Mass. State police confirm open cary legal in Massachussetts

rhoonah

imported post

Yes I have but it has been some years since I did. The law doesn't explicitly allow it so I decided to err on the side of caution.

mrjam2jab

imported post

rhoonah wrote:
Yes I have but it has been some years since I did. The law doesn't explicitly allow it so I decided to err on the side of caution.

that's because laws generally don't explicitly allow anything. Laws tell you what you can't do. So if it's not in there saying you cant do it...then its legal. :D

rhoonah

imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
rhoonah wrote:

that's because laws generally don't explicitly allow anything. Laws tell you what you can't do. So if it's not in there saying you cant do it...then its legal. :D
That sounds great in theory but will be of little solice whenyou are spread eagle on the ground with an officer's pistol pointed at you. This is the People's Republic of Massachusetts that we are talking about, not a state that supports the Bill of Rights.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

rhoonah wrote:
Actually, it allows it the same at it allows concealed carry - an exception to the ban on carry.

rhoonah

imported post

Mike wrote:
rhoonah wrote:
Actually, it allows it the same at it allows concealed carry - an exception to the ban on carry.

A Class A LTC is a CC permit therefore CC is legal with said permit provided it was issued for Personal Protection or All Lawful Purposes. Some chiefs put a Sports and Target restriction on the permit. I don't believe the law says anything about OC so there has been a debate regarding whether it is permissable or not. I attended a course with the Worcester Police Department and the officer teaching the course felt that it was indeed legal however he suggested that people not do it since MA is a very liberal state and the police will be called. After several times of being face down in the dirt while an officer verifies your intentions you might want to reconsider OC'ing.

I always CC because I think that it is more prudent but that is my personal choice and I support the choices of everyone whether to CC or OC.

I also don't know what you mean by "an exception to the ban on carry". What ban on carry?