• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boston Globe - Mass. State police confirm open cary legal in Massachussetts

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2010/03/09/want_a_glock_with_your_latte/

SNIP

This movement has not come yet to Massachusetts, but you never know, with the advocacy organization OpenCarry.org saying that while Massachusetts is not a traditional open carry state, “it is not a crime for Class A license holders to open carry.’’

In a statement yesterday, the state Department of Public Safety confirmed as much. “There is no prohibition . . . for a person with a license to carry firearms . . . as long as it is in the possession and control of the license holder, and not used in a manner that constitutes a crime.’’

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

...thendue to therisk of making your head explode, you might want to avoid reading the comments over here under the thread title "opencarry.org at it again.." which is a LEO forum:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140100

I agree one should not walk about OCing with one's gun IN HAND -- that sure IS asking for trouble --but the other stuff characterizing OC people assomething other than normal people or "cop wannabes" is just plain ignorant.

-- John D.

pullnshoot25

imported post

When I get done with my finals, I am going to write a nice little essay for those guys. No supposed "cop bashing," no arm twisting, just good knowledge from someone who has taken a look at history.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
...thendue to therisk of making your head explode, you might want to avoid reading the comments over here under the thread title "opencarry.org at it again.." which is a LEO forum:

I agree one should not walk about OCing with one's gun IN HAND -- that sure IS asking for trouble --but the other stuff characterizing OC people assomething other than normal people or "cop wannabes" is just plain ignorant.

-- John D.
Oofficer.com seems to be filled with the worst examples of humanity to ever walk the earth. They give real cops a bad name. Of course, I say "real cops" under the presumption that there are any...

Funny, they have badges and guns. And talk openly about how they'd love to kill anyone else who has a gun...

Why don't I suggest that we go around killing all the government thugs with guns? I mean, at least we have a historically valid excuse for suggesting it... And these thugs out talking the same talk that brought about those events...

Of course, it's always 'different this time.' Over 200,000,000 dead people in jsut the last 100 years said that right before the cops and military of their own government killed them.... Just like these guys are talking about doing.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

ixtow wrote:
cloudcroft wrote:

-- John D.
Oofficer.com seems to be filled with the worst examples of humanity to ever walk the earth. They give real cops a bad name. Of course, I say "real cops" under the presumption that there are any...

Funny, they have badges and guns. And talk openly about how they'd love to kill anyone else who has a gun...

Why don't I suggest that we go around killing all the government thugs with guns? I mean, at least we have a historically valid excuse for suggesting it... And these thugs out talking the same talk that brought about those events...

Of course, it's always 'different this time.' Over 200,000,000 dead people in jsut the last 100 years said that right before the cops and military of their own government killed them.... Just like these guys are talking about doing.
If they'd love to kill anyone else who has a gun, hopefully they will colossally frak up and kill each other with friendly fire BEFORE us law-abiding citizens. Unfortunately, they might end up killing some of the non-traitors who actually honor their oath to the Constitution.

eye95

imported post

Regarding the convo on office.com: It's a strawman. They are arguing against walking down the street with a gun in your hand.

I'd argue against that! I am sure almost everyone here would too.

It is easy to win a debate when one states his opponents arguments for him--incorrectly.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

So if you have a license, and you let a leo take your oc'd gun. You are then a criminal?

I like the idea of having the law flat out state you cannot relinquish your gun to anyone.
Solves all those gray area probable cause and officer safety issues. If the gun is
on your hip, and you show the officer your permit the contact is over.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

eye95 wrote:
Regarding the convo on office.com: It's a strawman. They are arguing against walking down the street with a gun in your hand.

I'd argue against that! I am sure almost everyone here would too.

It is easy to win a debate when one states his opponents arguments for him--incorrectly.
I've been thinking about this for a while now, and if one actually tries to see both sides of it....

What if you don't own a holster? Can't afford one? Isn't not having the gun in your hand a lot like not having any ammo in it? The whole argument of it being 'grabbed,' goes out the window if you already have it in YOUR hand. What about States that require one to unload and take out the gun when getting into a car? You HAVE to put it in your hand to obey those retarded laws.

There is plenty of validity to having the gun in your hand, just as there is to OCing, and being loaded and even to the limited use that it is, CCing.

Strawman or not, killing someone just because they are touching a gun and you saw it... Still not justified.

How will I ever clean my guns with cops like that out and about hunting and killing because I dared to even touch it... Retarded.

virginiatuck

imported post

office888 wrote:
Nice!

So what exactly is a "Class A" license holder?

-Richard-
I looked into this a while back when I might have visited some people in Mass.

Here's the main licensing law for residents:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131.htm

Here's the licensing law for non-residents:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131f.htm

In some cases, Mass. does honor some out-of-state licenses:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131g.htm

That last one is particularly interesting...

Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.

OC dinner in Mass. anyone? ;)

lelo029

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
office888 wrote:
Nice!

So what exactly is a "Class A" license holder?

-Richard-
I looked into this a while back when I might have visited some people in Mass.

Here's the main licensing law for residents:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131.htm

Here's the licensing law for non-residents:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131f.htm

In some cases, Mass. does honor some out-of-state licenses:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131g.htm

That last one is particularly interesting...

Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.

OC dinner in Mass. anyone? ;)
OC dinner in mass:lol:Never, theres no more patriots in the commonwealth..

Jayfitzy

imported post

I would like to organize an open carry event in Mass. Please reply if you would also like have an OC event!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Jayfitzy wrote:
I would like to organize an open carry event in Mass. Please reply if you would also like have an OC event!
Welcome to OCDO Jay. Tell us a little bit about yourself, you know kind of like an introduction. Do you carry, how and for how long have you been involved with RKBA?

People here have been subjected to many levels of trolling and are suspect of new posters that jump in and make such proposals from the get-go without a howdy-do.

Want to start over?

Yata hey

Jayfitzy

imported post

I am pilot in the mass national guard, a veteran of OIF II and getting to deploy again. I am a constitutionalist and second amendment advocate. I have lived in Mass my entire life except when I was a temporary resident of Alabama for flight school. This is where I started purchasing firearms and got my first LTC. I CC in the winter only because my FN 5.7 or my Bulldog 44 spl are not easily concealed. I am looking to educate others on citizens rights and gun safety. I am looking to learn about mass laws and learn about others experiences with open carrying.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Jayfitzy wrote:
I am pilot in the mass national guard, a veteran of OIF II and getting to deploy again. I am a constitutionalist and second amendment advocate. I have lived in Mass my entire life except when I was a temporary resident of Alabama for flight school. This is where I started purchasing firearms and got my first LTC. I CC in the winter only because my FN 5.7 or my Bulldog 44 spl are not easily concealed. I am looking to educate others on citizens rights and gun safety. I am looking to learn about mass laws and learn about others experiences with open carrying.
Now that is appreciated and thank you for your service.

A good place to start your research on Ma. laws is provided below. Note that there are links on that page to more specific information.
http://www.opencarry.org/ma.html

Good luck with your efforts - there are people here that will fill in the gaps as need be.

Yata hey

rhoonah

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
".....person with a license.........."
Wonder what hoops you have to jump through to obtain one of THOSE !!!
I live in MA and have an unrestricted LTC and a machine gun license. No hoops... just don't have a record and fill out the paperwork. The key is the town/city that you live in since MA is a may-issue state and the final discretion is up to the local chief.

Hendu024

imported post

rhoonah wrote:
mark edward marchiafava wrote:
".....person with a license.........."
Wonder what hoops you have to jump through to obtain one of THOSE !!!
I live in MA and have an unrestricted LTC and a machine gun license. No hoops... just don't have a record and fill out the paperwork. The key is the town/city that you live in since MA is a may-issue state and the final discretion is up to the local chief.
So have you OC'd at all?