• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick Question on Storage in Car

Rich B

imported post

Why wouldn't it be?

Bear in mind, that just because something is legal does not mean it is intelligent or without liability.

You should at least have a gun safe in your car if you have to leave your firearm in the car, loaded or not.

I am not sure why this is really a question, it is just common sense, really.

Chubs2287

imported post

Ok, thanks. The reason I asked this is we have a CT Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers, and doesn't say to leave in your car permit, and I work in a big office building and my boss is not a fan of guns so out of courtesy I would like to leave my firearm in my car in the parking lot. There are no rules against having a firearm at work or on building grounds, just I would like to not piss my boss off, so I have never brought it to work yet. I do have a safe so I will keep on carrying.

Thanks for the clarification.

Sandiesman007

imported post

Chubs. I am in the same position as you. I work in a questionable BG area and I'm not comfortable leaving my weapon (unloaded) locked up in my glove compartment. I believe a safe bolted to the floor may be the way to go even though id like it on me at all times.

cbnlnk121

imported post

Sandiesman007 wrote:
Chubs. I am in the same position as you. I work in a questionable BG area and I'm not comfortable leaving my weapon (unloaded) locked up in my glove compartment. I believe a safe bolted to the floor may be the way to go even though id like it on me at all times.

That's why I did, well sort of. I went over to Cabelas and purchaced and "travel" safe that is ok'ed by TSA and only cost $29. You could mount it but it comes with nice 1,500 lbs cable to attach it to something secure. For example a seat rail. It's great for anything of value as well as that the Glove box even locked can just be ripped open in less then a few secs.

The foam does smell a little but it's been perfect for me. I got the Key version.

Secure-It Handgun Storage Safes

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?id=0045006&navCount=2&parentId=cat20772&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat602007-cat20772_TGP&parentType=index&indexId=cat20772&rid=

Sandiesman007

imported post

Chubs...

I saw those at Cabela's last week. I was considering the larger $99.00 version for my holster and extra mags but you can't slide it under your seat because of it's size. Trunk options are out cause I drive a pickup. I think this may be the way to go. Thanks!

Rich B

imported post

You are much better off with something like this:

Micro GunVault

It also comes with a cable, and is of much better construction. Plus, it allows you to get to the firearm quickly should you need it, and I have no problem fitting it under my seat.

I can personally vouch for it holding a Glock 23 and a double mag pouch with two magazines with no problem. Same applies to a Kimber CDP Pro with two magazines in a holder.
I highly recommend this over the previous suggestions.

Sandiesman007

imported post

So I had to go out and measure right! Man it's nice out there! Either one would have to go under the left rear passengers seat. Too much crap under the drivers side. Power seats, Alarm and what not. Rich I like your option too. I do carry a brief case with me every day but I don't think I would chance bringing it in with me. That's a whole other issue not worth it.

cbnlnk121

imported post

Rich B wrote:
Micro GunVault

It also comes with a cable, and is of much better construction. Plus, it allows you to get to the firearm quickly should you need it, and I have no problem fitting it under my seat.

When I was searching for a car safe I looked at all sorts of options and chose what I did for the following:

Cost: $30 is much better then $100

Build: Both are made with similar steel construction.

Size: The Micro just wouldn't fit under the drivers seat where I could get at it while behind the wheel. It would have to be in the Passenger side or in the trunk and that's just not an option IMO

Locks: Combo sounds nice until you see it and it's just not well made and I already have enough to add another set of numbers. Batteries go bad, yet just another unneeded concern. Keys are simple and ALWAYS on me with my Car and House keys with a backup in my house safe.

Anything is better then nothing, and since it's only there for a short time and not permanent. That's what the house safe is for.

Rich B

imported post

cbnlnk121 wrote:

Locks: Combo sounds nice until you see it and it's just not well made and I already have enough to add another set of numbers. Batteries go bad, yet just another unneeded concern. Keys are simple and ALWAYS on me with my Car and House keys with a backup in my house safe.

Anything is better then nothing, and since it's only there for a short time and not permanent. That's what the house safe is for.

The Micro does not use a traditional combo lock, it uses finger tip buttons. It is considered 'biometric'.
Batteries might go dead, but that is why it also has a key. At best, you have 99% of your accesses lightning fast, and 1% with a key which you will have to use anyway.
I guarantee you can get the Micro to pop open faster than any key lock. That means I am safer in an emergency. And that is worth 100 bucks any day.

Also, the Micro fits under a normal seat just fine, but fits even better on the seat next to me.

dwayner79

imported post

A word of caution...

I bought 2 of the $29 ones from Cabelas (one for each car). After a few in and outs on my wife's vehicle, it got stuck in teh locked position (empty gladly). I still have to drill out the lock to get it out.

In the future, I will be purchasing a better quality unit.

Sandiesman007

imported post

So I went to Cabela's today and it seems like it would be pretty easy to cut the cable on some of these car safes. Any one have one bolted down in their vehicle? Is there a state law mandating what type you must have?

Rich B

imported post

There is no state law mandating anything. Read the thread.

I have no idea how you plan to bolt a safe to your car in a way where you will still be able to open it, but good luck to you with that. How much will that save you when they just steal the car?

The cable is not indestructible, but it is certainly more than enough to stop your average smash and grab thief from taking the gun with them. That is the only intent in a safe like this.

If you are that concerned with security, the only wise thing to do would be to not store a firearm in your car in the first place.

The only secure firearm is the one on your hip.

Sandiesman007

imported post

Rich B wrote:
There is no state law mandating anything. Read the thread.

I have no idea how you plan to bolt a safe to your car in a way where you will still be able to open it, but good luck to you with that. How much will that save you when they just steal the car?

The cable is not indestructible, but it is certainly more than enough to stop your average smash and grab thief from taking the gun with them. That is the only intent in a safe like this.

If you are that concerned with security, the only wise thing to do would be to not store a firearm in your car in the first place.

The only secure firearm is the one on your hip.
Nothing for nothing Rich but man you came off as sounding like a Dick!

cbnlnk121

imported post

dwayner79 wrote:
A word of caution...

I bought 2 of the $29 ones from Cabelas (one for each car). After a few in and outs on my wife's vehicle, it got stuck in teh locked position (empty gladly). I still have to drill out the lock to get it out.

In the future, I will be purchasing a better quality unit.

The one thing I did notice it that the screw for the latch came loose and after a drop of Locktight it was all good.

I'd suggest that you turn the safe upside down and then attempt to unlock it if it came loose. Worked for me.

Jay

imported post

Chubs2287 wrote:
So it is legal to leave a loaded firearm in your vehicle without your presence?
I really do not know all the specifics however a friend of mine pulled into a gas station either in Ansonia or Derby about a year ago. He has a permit and his loaded pistol was in the center console not locked. He pulled up to the front of the gas station got out with the truck still running. When he was at the front counter making a purchase someone jumped in his car and took off. The car and gun were recovered, but the police sergeant seized his gun, and took his permit. (He told him the gun needed to be in my friends control at all times, and because it wasn't he took both away.)I have not talked to him in a while, and do not know if he ever got either back.

Chubs2287

imported post

Jay wrote:
Chubs2287 wrote:
I really do not know all the specifics however a friend of mine pulled into a gas station either in Ansonia or Derby about a year ago. He has a permit and his loaded pistol was in the center console not locked. He pulled up to the front of the gas station got out with the truck still running. When he was at the front counter making a purchase someone jumped in his car and took off. The car and gun were recovered, but the police sergeant seized his gun, and took his permit. (He told him the gun needed to be in my friends control at all times, and because it wasn't he took both away.)I have not talked to him in a while, and do not know if he ever got either back.

Why would you ever leave your car unlocked and running with you not in it???? EVER!!!!

I'm sorry but that is just plain stupidity...

Jay

imported post

Chubs2287 wrote:
Jay wrote:
Chubs2287 wrote:

Why would you ever leave your car unlocked and running with you not in it???? EVER!!!!

I'm sorry but that is just plain stupidity...
I never said it was a smart thing for him to do :banghead: but I see people do it all the time they run into there local corner gas station park the car right in front to by a quick item, and leave it running. The real dumb thing was for him to do it with a loaded gun in the car.