• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro

Abraxxas

imported post

I've beenlooking for something smaller and less expensive than my 1911 to carry for a while now and decided I wanted a compact for whenever WIfinally gets out of the fog andpasses CCW bill.I ordered one of these and picked it up last week, it will be my first compact besides a small .25 and my first polymer gun. So far Im pretty impressed with the little gun, seems well built, comfortable in the hand, controls are easy to access and honestly I think it's a pretty good looking little gun.

I've heard all the Taurus stories over the years but I believe they've come a long ways. I've owned a Raging Bull .454 for about 10 years and absolutely love it, I did have a minor issue with it once, sent it in and received it back in 3 weeks with never an issue since. I found customer service helpful and friendly and I do like the lifetime warranty.

I ran a few hundred rounds through it this last weekend and everything has gotten noticably smoother.The trigger is nice with a clean break, the pull is a bit long and it breaks with the trigger close to the front of the grip but doesnt take long to get used to. It fed CCI Blazer 230gr FMJ's 100% reliably but did have a couple failures to feed using Federal Value Pack FMJ's. Overall it shoots very nicely, recoil is definately there being a .45 in such a small package but it is smooth and very manageable. The grouping improved significantly during the first 250 or so rounds and I feel it will continue to improve as the barrel breaks in. I found that the barrel had a rock hard coating of some sort of crud that appeared to be just a rough barrel at first glance. After my range outting some of it had come off of the rifling lands and there was shiny barrel underneath. Itultimately took me about 2 hours to get this all out of the barrel and am now left with a nice shiny bore, I am eager to see what a clean bore does for the grouping :) haha Still getting used to the straight 8 sights too.

Here are a few pics, so far Im very happy with this little thing!! The 10round group in the last photo wasfired from a bench at 50ft.

DSC_0049_800x532.jpg

DSC_0057_800x532.jpg

DSC_0058_800x532.jpg

DSC_0059_800x532.jpg

DSC_0060_399x600.jpg

DSC_0062_378x600.jpg

DSC_0002_800x532.jpg

1Grizzly1

imported post

I carry a PT-145 every day. I have the stainless version. I love it. Taurus has ironed out the problems with these guns and they are now very reliable. I love the 10 + 1 capacity and it is very easy to conceal. The only complaint I had was it was hard to find a holster I liked for it. I finally ordered a Don Hume 721OT and find it works very well. If you need a thumb break a Galco FLETCH for the Glock 26 also fits it well.

cscitney87

imported post

I own the PT745 Pro. It's my daily carry. The magazine release is jammed up and will only release the magazine once it's been pushed up into the frame first. So you can't just quickly hit the bottom and drop the mag. Also- under successive fire, my thumb will hit the magazine release and occasionally drop it out. This is avoided with lots of practice. The kick is extreme from this pistol- it really is. It's a tiny big gun. Accuracy has been a challenge, as well, but anything within 10 yards is a sure kill. Another big problem I had: The rails have been ground down pretty bad from a take-down that didn't go so smooth. After pulling the take-down pin- you have to pull the trigger once and bring the slide forward off of the frame... well my trigger didn't want to pull. I ended up having to FORCE the slide off of the rails without the trigger release.. which gouged 2 deep cuts into the rails. Left me with metal shavings all over the pistol...

I also dropped the pistol in a muddy puddle in January.. completely submerged it in nasty roadside water.

All that said- the pistol fires every time! Don't use aluminum case ammo or super cheap brand ball ammo- the extractor isn't to friendly with cheapos. I can put a box of 50 American Eagle or Federal without problems.

Best part is- the pistols have LIFETIME warranties on the pistols themselves. It's not dependent on the original owner. So I'll be sending my pistol down to Miami for repairs as soon as I find an appropriate holster for my backup MKS .40 cal

45acpForMe

imported post

My PT145 is my main CC gun. I use a Don Hume pocket holster which fits nicely in jeans or khakis. For the money this is a great gun. I also found out that it fits in my Sig P220 leather holsters nicely so I use an IWB and Paddle holster if I want to OC it.

I haven't had any problems and have had really good accuracy for the short barrel.

As they say the gun with you is better than the one left at home so with its good capacity & size, its with me most of the time.

cscitney87

imported post

Also the black paint that covers the metal parts will rub off or scrape off pretty easily. I try to always keep my pistol holsters from from time to time it's laid down on a table or in my glove box.. well the black safety switch and slide lock and take-down pin have been worn back to silver on the outsides. I wonder if it'll be repainted with warranty work? lol

Also if anyone finds a GRIP for this pistol I would love one- the factory poly frame grip is skinny and my hands slip on it when they sweat.

Abraxxas

imported post

Student wrote:
Hello, I too am looking for a personal defense weapon. I really liked your review and decided to look more into the PT. Thought I would share this with you in case you have not seen it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnzBhMWuWJw
I did see that video when I was doing my research, thank you for sharing. That video is a year and a half old, my gun comes back as an '09 production model and does not do what is shown in the video so they must've fixed the problem.

Abraxxas

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Also the black paint that covers the metal parts will rub off or scrape off pretty easily. I try to always keep my pistol holsters from from time to time it's laid down on a table or in my glove box.. well the black safety switch and slide lock and take-down pin have been worn back to silver on the outsides. I wonder if it'll be repainted with warranty work? lol

Also if anyone finds a GRIP for this pistol I would love one- the factory poly frame grip is skinny and my hands slip on it when they sweat.
As stated, the PT145 is double stack and is a little fatter in the grip area, I also saw somewhere that there is a rubber over-gripmanufactured for some airsoft gun you can apparently buy at Walmartthat slides on and fits the gun perfectly, I have also seen some sticker style grip enhancers advertised somewhere.

Hef

imported post

I have a 2006 model PT745C in stainless steel. It's been great to me. Over 1500 rounds through it without a single malfunction. It's an excellent carry gun for those times when the 1911 is impractical.

cscitney87

imported post

Yeah I didn't want my critique to be misconstrued as hatred for this pistol. Like I said, it's my daily pistol- this is a very nice weapon specially for smaller body builds. I love this pistol and it's very reliable. It's a matter of fact that the pistol still fires after a shower of metal shards, complete submergence in mud, dropped it a few times, the magazine release is jammed up and the slide rails have been ground down halfway.

it's a miracle this weapon still functions. That's why I love it. Very tough gun.

younggun20

imported post

I carried a PT145 for a while. Great while I had it, 10+1 in .45 was nice. I got rid of it after a trip or 2 to the range. The wife could not handle it. And no use having a gun at home if she isn't comfortable using it.

Robocop

imported post

It is a nice pistol, though I do not own one. My best friend owns one, and it has fired hundreds of rounds without cleaning. This bugs me, so I want to clean it for him. Are these pistols easy to take down?

45acpForMe

imported post

Robocop wrote:
It is a nice pistol, though I do not own one.  My best friend owns one, and it has fired hundreds of rounds without cleaning.  This bugs me, so I want to clean it for him.  Are these pistols easy to take down?

They are pretty easy to break down as long as you have finger nails to pull the breakdown pin out. :) Lock the slide back, rotate the breakdown lever and pull out. Release the slide release, (the part I hate) PULL the trigger, remove the slide, take the spring out, take the barrel out, clean and reverse.

I prefer guns that you don't have to pull the trigger to break down but this one has been a great gun and I will suffer that procedure.

I saw the above post had feeding trouble. Mine ate everything I fed it with. Occasionally I had a feeding problem but not very often. I use federal hydrashok ammo for self defense and it cycles fine.

architect

imported post

Robocop wrote:
Are these pistols easy to take down?
Field stripping is typical, to field strip: remove mag, clear, check clear, lock slide back, rotate take-down lever and remove, unlock slide and let it gently slide forward pulling trigger if resistance is encountered, slide will separate from frame, remove recoil spring assembly, remove barrel. Takes about 10 seconds. Reassemble in reverse. When reassembling, make sure the barrel is extended forward when reinserting the take-down lever. Disassembling the slide is not too bad (google for a how-to). I've never disassembled the frame.

Those following this thread should understand that there are multiple PT145 models, the Millennium is a different design than the Millennium Pro even though they share the PT145 designation. The MilPro has gone through at least three design "generations" with increasing quality and reliability. Folks contemplating acquisition should do some research first, esp. if you're looking to buy used. The pictures above look like a 3rd gen. gun, if it is it should have "PT145 PRO" on the right side of the slide.

My 3rd gen. MilPro has a lot to recommend it. It is hard to beat for size and power (weight/caliber/capacity), more accurate than me (not saying much). :) I find the recoil very tame, no hotter than typical full-size .45's. I am not wild about the stock Heinie "straight-eight" sights. My biggest problem is that holster selection is not as varied as more popular pistols, esp. with a laser/light mounted. I don't know anything comparable for the typical discounted asking prices, $350 (blue) - $370 (SS) NIB.

Abraxxas

imported post

There are also some good videos on youtube as well, very easy to do, I can strip mine down in about 4 seconds. I am liking this little gun, found that it doesnt like Federal Value Pack ammo so much but feeds Blazer reliably, with the price of ammo I havent bought a wide variety to try through it yet. I am going to order some Wisconsin Cartridge Corp FMJ and try it out for target shooting. I have a few bags of their HP's and they always fed perfect in my 1911 but I have been reluctant to shoot any of my remaining stock because they have been on back order for months and months. I would also like to try some of the lighter 185gr ammo but cant find it for less than $50 a box around here currently... rediculous.

slabside

imported post

I currently own the .40 version...The Millenium PT-140...as for it's size and power, absolutely no complaints. However, if I don't excessively oil this bull, It will stove-pipe, double-load, or both. There is something seriously wrong with the mag-catch, and the mag wants to drop from the jolt of every round fired. It drives me mad. I've looked online, and seems 6 out of 10 of these pistols have this problem, and 60% of those, when sent in for warrantee work, come back in the same condition as they were sent. Yeah, great for the money, if you get one of the 4-out-of-10 that were made right...but I didn't. I'm selling it or trading it in for a subcompact xd-40.

I should've sprung for the springfield to begin with. I just hope the $40 CC holster is compatible...

George Mann

imported post

I have a Millenium Pro. The pictures of the OP's gun is a regular Millenium.

My Millenium Pro has suffered from misfires (working to correct), and the long trigger pull can effect its accuracy.

Otherwise, it has excellent ergonomics for small-handed people, and is light and compact enough to ware on my hip all day without compromise.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I frequently carry my PT140 and have taken it on lots of range trips. I have several Taurus firearms and have never had an issue with any of them.