• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

For those in Madison County

TNDad

imported post

I live in Lincoln County Tennessee. I havea Tennessee Handgun Permit and often open carry at home.

I work in Huntsville.

Having read some of the problems others have had with Madison County SO and HPD and their fears of Dorning pulling their permit, I wanted to let you guys know that I sent both Sheriff Dorning and Chief Reyes an email a few minutes ago requesting thier stance on OC and laying out the facts for them. Dorning can't pull my permit.:p

Bhamrichard

imported post

TNDad wrote:
I live in Lincoln County Tennessee. I havea Tennessee Handgun Permit and often open carry at home.

I work in Huntsville.

Having read some of the problems others have had with Madison County SO and HPD and their fears of Dorning pulling their permit, I wanted to let you guys know that I sent both Sheriff Dorning and Chief Reyes an email a few minutes ago requesting thier stance on OC and laying out the facts for them. Dorning can't pull my permit.:p
HPD can't pull a permit either, it's beyond their authority. Only the Sheriff of a given county could revoke a permit that they issued. They couldn't revoke my permit for example, as he is not the sheriff that issued it.

But HPD or the sheriff of another county could contact the issuing sheriff's office and attempt to get them to revoke it.

Tide210

imported post

lol That's funny. My girlfriend's house is down the road from the Madison County Sheriff's house in Meridianville. We pass by the Sheriff's house all the time.

dixieborn

imported post

Depends on the county Richard... for example, in Mobile County, the permit states:

"Your permit can be confiscated by any Law enforcement officer for irresponsible behavior."

The MPD know it too... they threaten to confiscate it. And of course the language is sufficiently vague that you could have your permit pulled for spitting your gum out on the sidewalk...

Bhamrichard

imported post

dixieborn wrote:
Depends on the county Richard... for example, in Mobile County, the permit states:

"Your permit can be confiscated by any Law enforcement officer for irresponsible behavior."

The MPD know it too... they threaten to confiscate it. And of course the language is sufficiently vague that you could have your permit pulled for spitting your gum out on the sidewalk...
Doesn't depend on anything. I said they can't REVOKE it, and they can't, only the Sheriff can revoke a permit.

acrimsontide

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Seems to me that the best solution to Madison County's anti-OC sheriff is to get him replaced in the next election.

While I understand that Dorning is opposed to OC, he appears very gun friendly in other areas. I have never know anyone who didn't have a criminal record to be refused a carry permit and he does not put restrictions on permits like many Alabama Sheriffs do. We could do a whole lot worse than Dorning when it comes to gun rights. Additionally, even if Dorning approved of open carry, it would not change the stance on open carry by departments such as HPD and MPD.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

acrimsontide wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
Seems to me that the best solution to Madison County's anti-OC sheriff is to get him replaced in the next election.

While I understand that Dorning is opposed to OC, he appears very gun friendly in other areas. I have never know anyone who didn't have a criminal record to be refused a carry permit and he does not put restrictions on permits like many Alabama Sheriffs do. We could do a whole lot worse than Dorning when it comes to gun rights. Additionally, even if Dorning approved of open carry, it would not change the stance on open carry by departments such as HPD and MPD.
PD's are run by Chiefs that are hired by elected officials. replace the elected officials with people that will hire Chiefs that will order their departments to respect lawful carriers and not harrass them. In the interim, you can sue their badges off.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

Bhamrichard wrote:
TNDad wrote:

I work in Huntsville.

HPD can't pull a permit either, it's beyond their authority. Only the Sheriff of a given county could revoke a permit that they issued. They couldn't revoke my permit for example, as he is not the sheriff that issued it.

But HPD or the sheriff of another county could contact the issuing sheriff's office and attempt to get them to revoke it.
You need to read the back of your permit:

"Your permit can be confiscated by any law enforcement officer for irresponsible behavior".

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

smttysmth02gt wrote:
Bhamrichard wrote:
TNDad wrote:

I work in Huntsville.

"Your permit can be confiscated by any law enforcement officer for irresponsible behavior".

My TN HCP doesn't have anything on the back of it except a barcode.

You don't seem to grasp my resolution to the problem. Elecet people into office that will not allow the citizens of those jurisdictions to be harrassed for excercising lawful behavior. And sue the crap out of the ones you can't.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
smttysmth02gt wrote:
Bhamrichard wrote:
TNDad wrote:

I work in Huntsville.

My TN HCP doesn't have anything on the back of it except a barcode.

You don't seem to grasp my resolution to the problem. Elecet people into office that will not allow the citizens of those jurisdictions to be harrassed for excercising lawful behavior. And sue the crap out of the ones you can't.
My bad, I assumed you were from AL since this is the AL forum. The electoral process is completely flawed. You elect them based upon deceit. They can tell you what the will or won't do, but when they get elected, it's whoever can give them the most money.

Cricket

imported post

My Morgan County Permit just states "The named individual, having made application and showing just cause. Is hereby granted a license to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on the person, with in the state of Alabama" My old St. Clair County and Lawrence County Permits had the restrictions on the back..

eye95

imported post

My old paper permit used to have places listed on the back where CC was not permitted. When they went to the DL style, all of that disappeared. I seem to remember it was just a regurgitation of State law, so it added no additional restrictions (which would be illegal).