Thread: Holster seems to leave slide 'dry'

Post imported post

My leather blackhawk holster for my Sig 229 seems to leave the top edges of my firearm dry. As though is sucks any oil from the slide.

Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions on how to fix this? I have been oiling the slide more often when I take it out. Should I remove it from the leather holster daily and wipe down with a light coat of oil daily?
    Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

Get some saddle soap from the shoe care section of walmart. It will hydrate the leather.

Post imported post

Better than Saddle soap (which actually neither cleans OR properly moistens leather...) Get a jar of "Dr. Jacksons Hide Rejuvinator". This is a TRUE leather conditioning product, contains no detergents or soaps (which Saddle Soap DOES, and they MAY damage the finish on your firearm). You can get it from Tandy:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/s.../21978-00.aspx

I use this stuff RELIGIOUSLY on all my good leather stuff--boots, belts, holsters, gloves, jackets, heck I even use it on the scabbards and hanger-belts that I carry my rapiers in when I do historical reenactment...

Use Lexol leather cleaner to clean your quality leather. Use Dr. Jacksons to keep it soft and pretty. There is no better solution to keeping your leather nice. I've got a pair of leather gauntlets I use as fencing gloves for reenactment that are almost 20 years old, and they still look (and feel) as soft, supple and strong as the say I bought them.

Leave the saddle soap to the cowboys and their smelly saddles...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

I got into the habit of using saddle soap on leather when I was in the army, but I've never used the other product that dreamer recommended. If he's used both and had better results I say that you've received better advice than I offered and you should try the other stuff.

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    Better than Saddle soap (which actually neither cleans OR properly moistens leather...) Get a jar of "Dr. Jacksons Hide Rejuvinator". This is a TRUE leather conditioning product, contains no detergents or soaps (which Saddle Soap DOES, and they MAY damage the finish on your firearm). You can get it from Tandy:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/s.../21978-00.aspx

I use this stuff RELIGIOUSLY on all my good leather stuff--boots, belts, holsters, gloves, jackets, heck I even use it on the scabbards and hanger-belts that I carry my rapiers in when I do historical reenactment...

Use Lexol leather cleaner to clean your quality leather. Use Dr. Jacksons to keep it soft and pretty. There is no better solution to keeping your leather nice. I've got a pair of leather gauntlets I use as fencing gloves for reenactment that are almost 20 years old, and they still look (and feel) as soft, supple and strong as the say I bought them.

Leave the saddle soap to the cowboys and their smelly saddles...
    +1

On knowing how its done!

Post imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
    My leather blackhawk holster for my Sig 229 seems to leave the top edges of my firearm dry. As though is sucks any oil from the slide.

Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions on how to fix this? I have been oiling the slide more often when I take it out. Should I remove it from the leather holster daily and wipe down with a light coat of oil daily?
    Another option is to spend a bit of extra money and get horse-hide for your leather. It's not nearly as absorbent and it's stiffer, retaining its molded shape better than cow-hide does.