• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Cop Bad Cop

justinosen

imported post

I was pulled over a year ago in St Clair Shores Michigan for speeding, office came up to car, I knew I was guilty for doing 40 in a 35 and he asked me do you know why I stopped you. I said yes 40 in a 35 he asked for Drivers, License and reg, I also took it my self to tell him I have a cpl and I am not carrying. His reply was why are you telling me that. I said because if I dont disclose it I can get a fine. He just kinda blew it off. 5 min later he let me go with a warning, I think you have a better chance If you coop with them than play the I dont know game like our good buddy Kwame Kilpatrick retart.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Welcome to the forum.

IMHO - a lot depends on the individual circumstances - each person needs to make their own call. What most of us discuss here is the legitimacy of any extra legal demands.

That said, I almost never volunteer information not required and that has never turned to bite me. Ask yourself this question - for what purposes does a LEO collect information?

Yata hey

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

He makes a point...you should NEVER give up info unless asked for it. Carry a voice or video recorder....and most importantly...read "Wash, Rinse,..Repeat" at the top of the MI forum....i learned quite a bit from it

G

imported post

justinosen wrote:
I was pulled over a year ago in St Clair Shores Michigan for speeding, office came up to car, I knew I was guilty for doing 40 in a 35 and he asked me do you know why I stopped you. I said yes 40 in a 35 he asked for Drivers, License and reg, I also took it my self to tell him I have a cpl and I am not carrying. His reply was why are you telling me that. I said because if I dont disclose it I can get a fine. He just kinda blew it off. 5 min later he let me go with a warning, I think you have a better chance If you coop with them than play the I dont know game like our good buddy Kwame Kilpatrick retart.
There was a lawyer, on that other web site, that suggested doing this very thing when giving his CPL instruction.

I've taken it to a different level.

I even tell them that I have a fishing license, but am not fishing at the time. And that I don't have any baited hooks.

I want to do as much as necessary to put the officer at ease when he stops me.

The last time I did this I didn't even get a warning. So I think this works even better.

maybeifulucky

imported post

Strange, another new guy posting about contact with LE. Personally I would never admit to a sworn officer anything that I might be guilty of. I would have ask him/her why I was stopped.

I play golf outings with Oakland Sheriffs and believe me, they are either going to issue a ticket or not. Do you really think that admitting you were speeding is why the officer cut u some slack? He/She didn't get you on radar, or got a call while pulling you over and didn't have time to write you.

follow the laws, educate yourself, ask any Lawyer, and DON'T talk to police!

justinosen

imported post

I am just tring to say keep them on your good side. They stop you after a few pops and the cop says I remember this a** hole. You dont need the greif.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

justinosen wrote:
I am just tring to say keep them on your good side. They stop you after a few pops and the cop says I remember this a** hole. You dont need the greif.
Let them walk over you and they will continue to do so.

Most LEOs are just doing their job and have no agenda - those that have or develop one need to be corrected.

Appreciate not wanting to ripple the pond, but that is what got us where we are today.

BTW - I neither get tickets nor am arrested - do NOT voluntarily show non- required ID or permits - do not get harassed. In fact my relationship with some LEOs has benefited from OCing AND knowing the laws.

Firmly believe that much is in the presentation, attitude displayed.

Yata hey

G

imported post

justinosen wrote:
That's an easy one to take care of...

Don't drive under the influence.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
justinosen wrote:
That's an easy one to take care of...

Don't drive under the influence.
or carry under the influence, for that matter.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Anytime I'm stopped while driving, if the LEO asks if I know why he stopped me, I always say, no, I don't. If they ask me how fast I was going, I plead the 5th. You don't have to tell them, but you don't want to lie either, and telling them how fast you were going would be an admission of guilt if you were, in fact speeding.

Basically, when asked, I might say, yeah, I know how fast I was going. But I won't tell them. If they insist, then I invoke the 5th.

Oh, and I also, always hand over my CPL along with my DL, registration and proof of insurance. And I tell them at once I'm packing.

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but the above has worked for me. :)

Leader

imported post

In more then 50 years driving around MI., I have been stopped quite a few times for one thing or another. I have gotten very few tickets. Most of that time I didn't have a CPL and I have seen no difference in whether I get a ticket or not before or after. If I am not carrying, I just don't mention my permit.

And as far as I can see, the officers haven't been in more danger because I didn't mention it. Nor have they been ANY safer when I did.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Leader wrote:
In more then 50 years driving around MI., I have been stopped quite a few times for one thing or another. I have gotten very few tickets. Most of that time I didn't have a CPL and I have seen no difference in whether I get a ticket or not before or after. If I am not carrying, I just don't mention my permit.

And as far as I can see, the officers haven't been in more danger because I didn't mention it. Nor have they been ANY safer when I did.
That's certainly you're call, but I know of at least one person, who was not packing, has a CPL, and got berated by the cop when they didn't reveal they had a CPL initially to the officer, even though they weren't packing.

If I should happen to not be packing (not bloody likely) and get stopped, I think I'd still inform them of my CPL, just so they don't jump to the wrong conclusion when they run my DL.

But again, everyone makes their own choices in that situation. Personally, I never go anywhere without my pistol, so it's not an issue for me.

FLEMTP

imported post

Here in florida there is no requirement to tell an officer if you're armed or have a CPL(here its a CWP, we can carry almost any weapon) so i dont when I get stopped.

I dont get stopped often, because I work in public safety and a majority of the guys and gals around here know me and my car, but it does happen occassionally.

Last time I was stopped it was the usual thing, license and registration, etc. I didnt have my dept ID or badge on me because I was just running to the store, so i took my debit card, CWP, gun and DL with me.

After the usual exchange, the deputy asked me if I had anything in the vehicle or on me he needed to know about, guns knives drugs etc. I of course told him I had a gun on me, and I do have a CWP. He looks at me kind of surprised, and asked me why I didnt tell him right away. I told him, Well, you didnt notify me you were armed, why should I?
He says to me, Well, Im a sheriff deputy, you should always assumed I am armed.

I looked and him and said, exactly...And you should do the same thing!

He admitted I was right and thanked him for the reminder... seems like it bothered him a little..and after that I told him who I was and who I work for.. and he admitted to me sometimes he does get a little complacent.. but our chat highlighted the fact that a LEO should ALWAYS assume everyone they come into contact with is armed, either openly or concealed...

Just thought I would share.

Leader

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
Leader wrote:

That's certainly you're call, but I know of at least one person, who was not packing, has a CPL, and got berated by the cop when they didn't reveal they had a CPL initially to the officer, even though they weren't packing.

If I should happen to not be packing (not bloody likely) and get stopped, I think I'd still inform them of my CPL, just so they don't jump to the wrong conclusion when they run my DL.

But again, everyone makes their own choices in that situation. Personally, I never go anywhere without my pistol, so it's not an issue for me.
So your answer to the police not knowing the law and berating a citizen for no reason is to bow down and kiss his a**? Why wouldn't you report him?

You are telling me that you condone his actions and believe you should be required to do things that accomplish nothing.

Most states don't have any silly requirement to notify officers that you are armed because it serves no purpose.