• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

found this

glock1701

imported post

Open Carry in Pennsylvania While Pennsylvania has a specific law that requires a License To Carry Firearms for the concealed carry of a firearm, and the carry of firearms in vehicles, the law is silent on the legality of openly carrying a firearm in other situations, making it de-facto legal.
There is however a law that requires a License To Carry Firearms to carry either way in "cities of the first class", which as defined by law is only the city of Philadelphia.
18 Pa.C.S. § 6108: Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia
  • No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:
    • (1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or
    • (2) such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).
To summarize, open carry is legal in Pennsylvania without a License To Carry Firearms except in "cities of the first class" (Philadelphia) and vehicles where a License To Carry Firearms is required to do so.
With that said, we would like to point out that there is much debate among firearm owners about whether openly carrying firearms is really a good idea. While we will leave that choice to the individual we will state that in many urban areas (namely Philadelphia) doing so will draw unwanted attention from law enforcement that may include (but not be limited to) the following repercussions:
  1. Being stopped and questioned by law enforcement.
  2. Having your License To Carry Firearms seized and sent back for revocation.
  3. Being arrested either improperly or for other charges like disturbing the peace or creating a public nuisance.
While this may not happen should you choose to carry openly, many urban law enforcement officers we have talked to have expressed a very negative opinion towards the idea. Some have suggested that law enforcement will do everything in their power to make your life difficult should you choose to.

bulls**t............ i found this on a pa gun site:cuss:

glock1701

imported post

While this may not happen should you choose to carry openly, many urban law enforcement officers we have talked to have expressed a very negative opinion towards the idea. Some have suggested that law enforcement will do everything in their power to make your life difficult should you choose to.

this is bs if its true its telling people the cops are going to get you if you oc like its wrong or illegal scare tactics.......

david.ross

imported post

glock1701,

The statement is untrue, not even backed up by any factual conversations with law enforcement. Sure there are bad apples and those which will give their opinion on open carry in law enforcement, but they'll still make a reasonable attempt to not infringe on your rights.

I'm going to Philly this summer with my Alaska CCW(recip), and there won't be any issues.

Dreamer

imported post

You know, a LOT of state "gun rights" groups hav similar wording on their websites. Here in NC, Grass Roots North CAroina (GRNC) has a similar statement, but NC is VERY opencarry friendly, and I've never had a single issue..

I think many of these groups are either being financially backed by the same people who are perhaps trying to clandestinely push an anti-open carry agenda, or else they get this information from the NRA which is notoriously anti-OC...

The only other explanation is that thee groups are getting this info from their state's AG's or State Poice, both of whom ALSO tend to be notoriously anti-OC, even in "Gold Star" states like NC.

It is strange indeed... I've written GRNC about similar statements on their website a few times, and been answered with silence...

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I fail to see how giving people factual info is "BS". If you are going to OC you need to know the law regarding where and how as well as the possible consequences.

A significant number of people in Pa. *have* been harassed, including
1) Being arrested
2) having their LTCF (illegally) revoked
3) Gun seized.
among other things.

The info listed, including the caveat, is factual. It would be irresponsible to NOT provide warning and information concerning possible problems with OC. I have a similar warning on my site, paopencarry.org.

glock1701

imported post

i understand that its a fact but its not illegal to oc so what im saying is they should leave us alone or face a law suit think about it its not illegal to was my car so why would i be botherd if i do it this is america cops should obey the law that they are paid to enforce not bother people for what they THINK is wrong

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

glock1701 wrote:
i understand that its a fact but its not illegal to oc so what im saying is they should leave us alone or face a law suit think about it its not illegal to was my car so why would i be botherd if i do it this is america cops should obey the law that they are paid to enforce not bother people for what they THINK is wrong
Ok, I think everyone here will agree with you 100% that we *should* be left alone by LE.

Your topic, however, was complaining about another gun board giving you warning that you *may* be hassled, based on factual information.

IOW, the sites are warning you about what might happen, not that they *agree* that you should be hassled, just that it is a possibility.

It's neither "scaring people to not OC" nor "false info", as you claim. It's good, solid warning and info.