• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns confiscated just for buying guns?

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100309/NEWS/3090315

Mail Tribune Concerns about an Oregon Department of Transportation employee who purchased several guns after being placed on leave prompted law enforcement across Southern Oregon to step in.
Negotiators and a SWAT team from Medford police safely took a man — whose name wasn't released — into protective custody Monday morning in the 500 block of Effie Street, Medford police said in a news release.
He was taken to Rogue Valley Medical Center for a mental-health evaluation.
The man recently had been placed on administrative leave from his job and was "very disgruntled," the news release said.
ODOT Communications Director Patrick Cooney said there were administrative, personnel matters involved that limited what the department could discuss.
However, the state agency had reported concerns about the man to law enforcement agencies, who started monitoring him, officials said.
"We had concerning information regarding a personnel issue and were watching the subject," Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters said.
In two days, the man bought a Heckler & Koch .45-caliber universal self-loading handgun, a Walther .380-caliber handgun and an AK-47 assault rifle, Medford police Lt. Bob Hansen said. All of those firearms were purchased legally, with required record checks by the Oregon State Police.
Authorities were "extremely concerned" that the man may have been planning to retaliate against his employers, the news release said.
"Instead of being reactive, we took a proactive approach," OSP Sgt. Jeff Proulx said.
Douglas and Jackson County sheriff's departments, OSP officers based in both counties and police in Medford and Roseburg collaborated, he said.
Medford police watched the man's home overnight, starting at about 9 p.m. Sunday, Hansen said.
Because he was known to have weapons, police wanted to defuse the situation and ensure the man wasn't a danger to himself or others before the neighborhood awakened and people started their daily activities, Hansen said.
Medford's hostage negotiators and SWAT team were called in at 3 a.m. Monday and arrived on the scene at about 5:45 a.m., he said.
About a dozen officers responded. They closed the street for about an hour and evacuated three homes to protect neighbors and prevent bystanders from gathering, he said.
After a phone conversation with negotiators, the man — who was alone in the home — agreed to come out, Hansen said.
Police seized the recently purchased firearms, as well as another .45-caliber Heckler & Koch handgun and a 12-gauge shotgun. Police are holding the weapons for safekeeping, but no criminal charges have been filed.
Reach reporter Anita Burke at 541-776-4485, or e-mail aburke@mailtribune.com.

Lephi

imported post

Wow, I don't even know what to say to that.

Hello BTW, long time stalker first time poster :)

M

McX

imported post

i could say something, but i posted about what was done to me a long time ago on here. may be a copy cat getting ready, or an innocent citizen singled out. but that never happens..........right? time will tell. gotta love the politically correct though, bet someone got big bucks to think up that idea. group hug time everyone!

hardballer

imported post

Lephi wrote:
Wow, I don't even know what to say to that.

Hello BTW, long time stalker first time poster :)
Welcome, Glad to have you on-board. I too am stunned. This has un-Constitutional written all over it. Pro-Active arrest? What? Is this real life imitating fiction? Minority Report in the flesh?

We'd better watch this one closely.

You better watch out
You better not cry
You better not pout
I'm telling you why
Big Bad Swat is coming to town

There making a list,
And checking it twice;
Gonna find out who's naughty or nice

They see you when you're sleeping
They know when you're awake
They know if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake!

O! you better watch out!
You better not cry.
You better not pout, I'm telling you why

With sniper rifles and flash bangs
They'll take you to detention
and ignore your Constitutional right
They'll take your guns for safe keeping
and lock you up real tight.

Landose_theghost

imported post

Yes Lephi, Welcome to the Forum! :lol:

But on topic here, I can't believe the officers wereok doing this. I mean, this must have costedthe taxpayers @ least $250,000+ to pull this "proactive" strike off. When honestly, if they were so concerned about him going postal, why not have an officer stationed outside the bussiness in question for a few days? Sounds more "proactive"than what they actualydid, and cheaper too!Or honestly,like ppl have said above, why not knock on the g-Dam front door and askem a few questions? :banghead:

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I wonder why there wasn't a huge mass of arrest of every one that purchased firerms after the 08 presidential election? You just know there had to be a bunch of "disgruntled" voters.... lurking.... waiting....

:what:

Landose_theghost

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
I wonder why there wasn't a huge mass of arrest of every one that purchased firerms after the 08 presidential election? You just know there had to be a bunch of "disgruntled" voters.... lurking.... waiting....

:what:
I'll quote Hardballer and say, "You better watch out" I'm sure they've got their list of all said ppl in question, they're just checking it twice beforebig bad swat comes to town!*Knocks on wood*:lol:

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

hardballer wrote:
Minority Report in the flesh?
You beat me to it...

I have had a few weeks of furloughsince last July. Ibought 3 guns during my furlough time. Maybe I should be concerned about the Madison Brute Squad showing up at my door at 3am. Having time to go shopping doesn't make me a danger to myselfor others, does it?

Landose_theghost

imported post

On a related note, if this bill passes the above situationmight justbe a harbinger.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/03/a-detention-bill-you-ought-to-read-more-carefully/37116

Snippet from news source, linked above:

"Why is the national security community treating the "Enemy Belligerent, Interrogation, Detention, and Prosecution Act of 2010," introduced by Sens. John McCain and Joseph Lieberman on Thursday as a standard proposal, as a simple response to the administration's choices in the aftermath of the Christmas Day bombing attempt? A close reading of the bill suggests it would allow the U.S. military to detain U.S. citizens without trial indefinitely in the U.S. based on suspected activity. Read the bill here, and then read the summarized points after the jump.
According to the summary, the bill sets out a comprehensive policy for the detention, interrogation and trial of suspected enemy belligerents who are believed to have engaged in hostilities against the United States by requiring these individuals to be held in military custody, interrogated for their intelligence value and not provided with a Miranda warning."

(There is no distinction between U.S. persons--visa holders or citizens--and non-U.S. persons.)

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100309/NEWS/3090315
"Instead of being reactive, we took a proactive approach," OSP Sgt. Jeff Proulx said.
Wow! So much for that pesky, "Due Process" thingy.... :uhoh:

I hope that the
"very disgruntled employee" hires a good lawyer who will do a FOIA request to find out just what his employer said about him to justify a swat team....

Dave

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

That is pretty crappy. Unless they haveprobable causehow do they commit him and take his guns? There needs to be safeguards in the system to prevent gung ho law enforcement from sending people to a hospital without evidence. If not, anyone can be sent in for evaluation. I thought I lived in America.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
He was taken to Rogue Valley Medical Center for a mental-health evaluation.
The man recently had been placed on administrative leave from his job and was "very disgruntled," the news release said.
ODOT Communications Director Patrick Cooney said there were administrative, personnel matters involved that limited what the department could discuss.
However, the state agency had reported concerns about the man to law enforcement agencies, who started monitoring him, officials said.
"We had concerning information regarding a personnel issue and were watching the subject," Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters said.

Play stupid games.... win stupid prizes... There is obviously much about this case and the man's behavior which we have not been made aware of.

If there was no probable cause for his being taken into custody, he should prevail. If he was making death threats, the case may come out different. At the very least it appears to be a case of "Just because you can does not mean you should"...

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
Interceptor_Knight wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
Interceptor_Knight wrote:

At the very least it appears to be a case of "Just because you can does not mean you should"...
:banghead:
'splain......... You support people making death threats?
Are stating the man made death threats? I didn't read that in the article.
I am suggesting that "very disgruntled" is alluding to such. If not specifically "death" threats, some threat of violence. My statement refers to the rationale that just because your speech may be "protected" does not mean that it is a good idea to utter some words.