• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Zombieland

M

McX

imported post

it relates to oc, because everyone was in that movie. so i call it on a technicallity. i got questions: How come the power was still on all over the place? Where did they get the gas for their machines? Doesn't sound so far fetched, mad cow makes mad human, and so on. Probably good stuff for the survival forum. but hell, it's like what? 6 months till spring, let's pick this flick apart! Like the little winchester the guy had on his hip, made me think of kwickrun, nice he found a bag of goodies to blast with, but i would have hit an armory somewhere. so what did they eat? tough to use the bathrooms, made my scenario i posted about on draw or no draw kinds come home huh? Liked the 2 chain saws and the bit; business was good. Someone elses turn now:

Optimus Prime

imported post

It's not too after the start, so enough of the infrastructure is still in place, and various power stations (hydro, wind, and possibly nuke for a little bit) should still be pumping out some power, and there's going to be significantly less draw on the system.
As for gas, same thing, there's still gas in the underground tanks, and there's still power to the pumps. Most of the pay at the pump types don't need approval from in the store(set up for 24 hour operation, even when the store's not open), so as long as there's still power and phones and you have a stack of functioning credit cards, you shouldn't have too much of a problem getting gas, or if the pumps aren't working, find a tanker truck or draw it straight out of the underground tanks through the fill ports (where the trucks fill them).
It's almost like I think about zombie survival scenarios........

M

McX

imported post

you'd think the zombies would have run out of food, and starved to death, having eaten all the available normal people, and then the lower forms of life, they didn't strike me as the type to use a can opener. so i would think one would just have to hunker down, and wait for them to starve to death. still from watching that life after humans on tv, the whole country would be one nuke dust cloud from the reactor pumps shutting down. wonder if the virus would transfer to the water supply? and how long it would remain active? still, the cow catcher is a good idea on the escalade, gave me an idea for the snow plow in the off season- if disaster strikes. gotta figure though, with so many people concentrated in so many places, just a matter of time before something bad gets loose. first movie in a long time about that scenario that was actually funny instead of too gory and grim. i wouldn't have opted for a double barrel shotgun though, something with more capacity would have been in the plan. grenades would have been a nice option too!

M

McX

imported post

gotta figure too, the remains of the government would be hiding out in that mountain bunker in virginia, reading comic books, waiting for their big return. while the rest of us, initially at least, languish in the fema camps. maybe they'd let us keep our guns, to help the guardsmen peel the people snackers off of the fences. either way, in the interim i'm ordering my cows extra well done.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have to question why the hell you'd go to urban areas. In all of these types of movies the characters just have to go somewhere like LA or New York for no good reason except to further the plot. Boy, where doyou think all the zombies are?

I'll remain shacked up on my 47 acres and shoot any zombies that come by from my deck. I'll be able to catch them well before they get within 100 yards. If I have to go to town to pick up reloading supplies or such, I'll do so well armed and only stick around long enough to pick up what I need.

Then I'll wait for them to starve like you suggested. After they are starved off I've got free reign.

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

starve? Zombies are dead. The only situation you could wait for them to starve would be a 28 days later scenario, where there they aren't even zombies, they are still alive. In some ways that would be better, yeah they can run, but they dont require headshots to bring down. These would starve.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dustiniac wrote:
starve? Zombies are dead. The only situation you could wait for them to starve would be a 28 days later scenario, where there they aren't even zombies, they are still alive. In some ways that would be better, yeah they can run, but they dont require headshots to bring down. These would starve.

In the movie in question "Zombieland", they are alive; just suffering from a human version of mad cow that advanced. AFAIK, they are never mentioned as dead in the movie.

I agree that classic zombies are undead. At asome point though, wouldn't they "wear out" and not be much of a threat anymore? Unless the supernatural is involved. Resident Evil is a good example of undead but not supernatural zombies.

In any case, staying away from town is still a good idea right?! :D

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

I am corrected, thanks. Ok, as for your wearing questions, in classic zombie lore, the virus, or whatever it is is causing them to reanimate, also has the unfortunate side effect of slowing down the rate of decomposition so slowly that some zombies have been known to last 100 years! 20 is the norm however. Wanna good read? Get the Ultimate Zombie Survival Guide. Its a laugh!

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dustiniac wrote:
I am corrected, thanks. Ok, as for your wearing questions, in classic zombie lore, the virus, or whatever it is is causing them to reanimate, also has the unfortunate side effect of slowly doing the rate of decomposition so slowly that some zombies have been known to last 100 years! 20 is the norm however. Wanna good read? Get the Ultimate Zombie Survival Guide. Its a laugh!

I might have to read that. LOL

"Shaun of the Dead" is probably my favorite funny zombie movie though; I think it's better than Zombieland; especially if you like British humor. If anyone reading this thread liked Zombieland, watch Shaun of the Dead.

Lurchiron

imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
Dustiniac wrote:

In the movie in question "Zombieland", they are alive; just suffering from a human version of mad cow that advanced. AFAIK, they are never mentioned as dead in the movie.

I agree that classic zombies are undead. At asome point though, wouldn't they "wear out" and not be much of a threat anymore? Unless the supernatural is involved. Resident Evil is a good example of undead but not supernatural zombies.

In any case, staying away from town is still a good idea right?! :D

"In any case, staying away from town is still a good idea right?!"

Not if you had the lo-tech version of chaff. Herd a pack antis' along with you to town. If zombies are encountered,cull one from theherd; place an empty gun in one hand & a bullet in the other then ask them to show you their version of gun control. I bet the results would be interesting...no?

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

McX wrote:
you'd think the zombies would have run out of food, and starved to death, having eaten all the available normal people, and then the lower forms of life, they didn't strike me as the type to use a can opener. so i would think one would just have to hunker down, and wait for them to starve to death. still from watching that life after humans on tv, the whole country would be one nuke dust cloud from the reactor pumps shutting down. wonder if the virus would transfer to the water supply? and how long it would remain active? still, the cow catcher is a good idea on the escalade, gave me an idea for the snow plow in the off season- if disaster strikes. gotta figure though, with so many people concentrated in so many places, just a matter of time before something bad gets loose. first movie in a long time about that scenario that was actually funny instead of too gory and grim. i wouldn't have opted for a double barrel shotgun though, something with more capacity would have been in the plan. grenades would have been a nice option too!
There would be no nuke cloud, I used to work at a nuke plant, the same one that my dad has worked at for 33 years. Without human input, the reactors would simply turn themselves off, no explosion would occur. Reactors arent built anymore like the flawed design of the Russian built reactor from Chernobyl.

hunter9mm

imported post

Dustiniac wrote:
McX wrote:
There would be no nuke cloud, I used to work at a nuke plant, the same one that my dad has worked at for 33 years. Without human input, the reactors would simply turn themselves off, no explosion would occur. Reactors arent built anymore like the flawed design of the Russian built reactor from Chernobyl.
Kill-joy...:p:p:pDon't you hate it when someone comes in and wrecks all the fun with facts....(JK) :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

oops, i mean every nuke plant in the world would explode, and the survivors from the zombies and nukes would then be living in a fallout video game type world, with mutants and pip boys!

hunter9mm

imported post

Dustiniac wrote:
oops, i mean every nuke plant in the world would explode, and the survivors from the zombies and nukes would then be living in a fallout video game type world, with mutants and pip boys!
Ahhhhhhh much better. That makes for a much more exciting movie now :D:D:D

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Dustiniac wrote:
"Without human input, the reactors would simply turn themselves off,..." Really?

As of 2010 there are eleven RBMK reaktor bolshoy moshchnosti kanalniy still operating.

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

ok Doug, since you know everything, I'm sure you can tell me or my father, remember 33 years, more than we know. By the way, I didnt say those Russian reactors werent operating anymore, just that they didnt build them like that.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi