• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Indiana Court of Appeals Gets It Right!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hooray!!!!

Just to toot my own horn, I've been harping for ages thatjust because aperson is armed does not make him dangerous for the purposes ofa Terry patdown search and weapon seizure.The Indiana Court of Appeals thinks so, too:

"...prior to the search for the handgun, Officer Reynolds did not express any concerns for officer safety. He had initiated a traffic stop on Washington because one of Washington’s headlights was not working. Officer Reynolds approached the driver’s side of the car to speak with Washington. As a matter of his own practice, the officer inquired as to whether Washington had any weapons or guns in the car, and Washington replied that he had a handgun, which was located underneath the driver’s seat. Washington also informed Officer Reynolds that he had a valid permit for the handgun. Although Washington admitted that a handgun was present inside of the car, he was at all times totally cooperative with Officer Reynolds..."

"...At the time he searched for the handgun, Officer Reynolds had no information that any crime or violation of law had been or was about to be committed, except for the inoperable headlight infraction. Further, at the suppression hearing, Officer Reynolds did not testify that he had any specific concern for officer safety during his traffic stop of Washington..."

"...we conclude that in the absence of an articulable basis that either there was a legitimate concern for officer safety or a belief that a crime had been or was being committed, the search of Washington’s car for a handgun was not justified. Here, because neither of these conditions was satisfied, the search was illegal, and the trial court should have suppressed the evidence."

:D

http://www.state.in.us/judiciary/opinions/pdf/03041001jsk.pdf

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Edit to Add: I found out about it at the link below,a great website to stay up to date on 4th Amendment (search and seizure) rulings.

http://www.fourthamendment.com/blog/

PS: Don't read the website for the first time untilyou are prepared to lose some sleep. What the courts are often sayingis a bit depressing.

aadvark

imported post

Thank God!

The Indiana Appeals Court DID get it right!

It is about time...

Repeater

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Edit to Add: I found out about it at the link below,a great website to stay up to date on 4th Amendment (search and seizure) rulings.

PS: Don't read the website for the first time untilyou are prepared to lose some sleep. What the courts are often sayingis a bit depressing.
Hah, pingback!

Seems John Wesley Hall reads this blog.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Repeater wrote:
Citizen wrote:

Hah, pingback!

I'm honored.

I can't say enough about that website. I've learned quite a bit. I check it every day, sometimes twice a day.

Although Mr. Hall may read this forum, I'm guessing his blog software notified him that someone had linked to his blog, and then he checked it out. I have no idea how the software works, just that it exists. Maybe it only activates when a reader on this forum clicks on the link at this end. I'm sure the tech wizards know more about how it works.

Nonetheless, if you really want to see where the judicial branch is taking us, just check that blog regularly and readthe author'ssummaries and excerpts.

Repeater

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Repeater wrote:
Citizen wrote:

Hah, pingback!

I'm honored.

I can't say enough about that website. I've learned quite a bit. I check it every day, sometimes twice a day.

Although Mr. Hall may read this forum, I'm guessing his blog software notified him that someone had linked to his blog, and then he checked it out. I have no idea how the software works, just that it exists. Maybe it only activates when a reader on this forum clicks on the link at this end. I'm sure the tech wizards know more about how it works.

Nonetheless, if you really want to see where the judicial branch is taking us, just check that blog regularly and readthe author'ssummaries and excerpts.
Wouldn't you agree the legal reasoning for this opinion should apply to Virginia and other states as well?

Motofixxer

Just another example why you should only roll your window down 3-4" then if you exit your vehicle, take keys and lock it on your way out. That way they can't just open your door and climb in sniffing around. We have to proactively enforce our rights.