• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

19 yeaar old w/ a pistol

Im925

imported post

Is it possible to have a firearm registered to you if you are 19? any help is appreciated

dirtykoala

imported post

With an intrafamiliar(?) hand gun transfer through cal doj you can have a registered handgun at 18 yrs old.

Decoligny

imported post

I believe it is immediate family up or down, i.e. Parent to Child, Grandparent to Child, Child to Parent, Child to Grandparent.

I don't think itcovers Sibling to Sibling however.

wewd

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
I believe it is immediate family up or down, i.e. Parent to Child, Grandparent to Child, Child to Parent, Child to Grandparent.

I don't think it covers Sibling to Sibling however.

Correct. Unless your father is also your brother. Then you might be a ... :lol:

Im925

imported post

Thank you for the info. If I do this transfer will my parent be responsible for the gun still or would I assume full responsibility?

By the way. Whens the next SoCal meet?

Im925

imported post

No. I meant, if my dad baught me a glock (Im new to guns and theyre cheap... I know) and transfered it to me, he would have nothing to do with the firearm anymore right?

Keep in mind I am 19.

pullnshoot25

imported post

Im925 wrote:
No. I meant, if my dad baught me a glock (Im new to guns and theyre cheap... I know) and transfered it to me, he would have nothing to do with the firearm anymore right?

Keep in mind I am 19.

In saying "the latter" I was mentioning that yes, you will assume full responsibility for the firearm. It is in your name at that point.

18 to own, 21 to purchase from a dealer.

Im925

imported post

OH! Thank you! Like I said... Im new. Im going into LE and I need a firearm for academy.

Im925

imported post

Not through academy. When I am a sworn officer I will be issued 2 :) and can legally carry it loaded. I want to roll with you guys so I will keep them empty. Now, Where would you recomend buying inexpensive guns... JUST to last me until academy is over. 6 months.

pullnshoot25

imported post

Im925 wrote:
Not through academy. When I am a sworn officer I will be issued 2 :) and can legally carry it loaded. I want to roll with you guys so I will keep them empty. Now, Where would you recomend buying inexpensive guns... JUST to last me until academy is over. 6 months.

Calguns.net. Check the for sale area.

Get a gun you will actually like though, there is no sense in buying a crappy gun for a few months. Besides, you just get issued a Beretta 92 or some crap like that.

Im925

imported post

I know. I went to the range and shot a Glock 17. It was very comfortable. I wouldnt mind a 45 though

pullnshoot25

imported post

Im925 wrote:
Would a 9mm be better for me?

You must weigh the pros and cons for yourself. Go to a range and rent out a few handguns to see what you like and make a decision from there.

My personal favorites are as follows (no order, except the Hi Power is NUMBER 1, BABY!):

Hi-Power
FNP-9/40
CZ-75
Glocks
S&W M&P