• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

19 yeaar old w/ a pistol

Im925

imported post

Thanks A LOT for the help! All is appreciated greatly! Ill be sure to remember you on the streets! haha

dirtykoala

imported post

I have and recommend the glock 22. It's a .40 cal which gives you way more stopping power than a 9mm and it is easier to control than a .45 so your follow up shots will be more accurate. Another advantage for you is that lots of PDs use glock, so it won't be unfimiliar to you.

Army

imported post

If you have a good idea which agency you want to work for, find out what they issue and buy that.

You can always buy what you really want later, but best to practice with what you will be carrying on the job.

NightOwl

imported post

Here in CA, I recommend the largest caliber you're comfortable with, due to magazine capacity restrictions.

I'd rather carry a 9mm with 16 rounds, than a .45 with 8, but since 10 rounds is our maximum in this state, might as well make them count. That was the intent of the law, right, to insure larger caliber handguns on the street?

We-the-People

imported post

Maybe I missed something but how did we go from a familial transfer to buying from a private party found through an online website?

Also, does inter family transfer bypass the "strawman" purchase restrictions?

Something just doesn't seem to add up.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

We-the-People wrote:
Maybe I missed something but how did we go from a familial transfer to buying from a private party found through an online website?

Im925 asked where his father could buy an inexpensive gun.

Pullnshoot responded.

I think that's how the thread turned the way it did. :?

heliopolissolutions

imported post

IMHO the OP does not sound legit.

No offense intended, but whats really going on?

Having an individual buy a gun for you and furnish it to you....constitutes a straw purchase....right?

We-the-People

imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:
We-the-People wrote:

Pullnshoot responded.

The OP said, after the initial post about a 19 year old owning a firearm.....

"No. I meant, if my dad baught me a glock (Im new to guns and theyre cheap... I know) and transfered it to me, he would have nothing to do with the firearm anymore right?

Keep in mind I am 19."

I don't know if the strawman thing would apply to a father buying a weapon for his son but I'm guessing, by the convoluted way of all other Cali laws, that it very well might. Just what is needed at a UOC meetup (which he asked where hte next one was as well.

Maybe not, but what is the price if it is? I do not put ANYTHING past the grabbers and a 10 post member asking such questions makes me almost as uncomfortable as teh guy in a restauraunt who says he's from Cali and do I know how he can buy a weapon with a private transfer and do I know anyone that is selling.

No, No, and have a nice day.

wewd

imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
Having an individual buy a gun for you and furnish it to you....constitutes a straw purchase....right?

A straw purchase occurs when the firearm is being bought for a prohibited person by someone who is not prohibited. If a father buys a handgun with the specific intent to transfer it to his 18-20 year old child, as long as that child is legally eligible to own a firearm, no law is being broken.

There are not many options for young Californians to acquire handguns. The feds require you to be 21 to buy a handgun from, or interstate transfer a handgun through an FFL, so that is out of the question. The feds do not care how handguns are transfered private party-wise within a state. California allows persons 18-20 years of age to possess handguns, but the only legal channel for them to acquire those handguns is through intrafamilial transfer, since the state mandates private party transfers and requires you to be 21 to participate. Of course, persons 18-20 may also possess handguns lawfully in California that they imported into the state when they moved here.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Is it not considered a straw purchase if an individual from out of state who has residency in two states to furnish firearms off the CA approved roster?

pullnshoot25

imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:
We-the-People wrote:

Pullnshoot responded.

Sounds about right... ;)

Im925

imported post

OK. I called the California DOJ and they said my dad can buy me the gun and transfer it to me. His name will be completely off the gun. Thanks all for the help

QATC

dirtykoala

imported post

Im925 wrote:
OK. I called the California DOJ and they said my dad can buy me the gun and transfer it to me. His name will be completely off the gun. Thanks all for the help

QATC

When I was new to OLLs and UOC, I called the DOJ and they told me that any gun that looked like an AK or an AR was illegal because it was banned as an "AK or AR series weapon"

I have also heard that CalDOJ has been known to reject handgun transfers to people under 21 because they didnt have an HSC.

point being, there is better info on this small forum than can be obtained from CalDOJ, or cops, or most government officials.

ETA: His name will not be off the gun.

Im925

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
Im925 wrote:

QATC

Didn't I and others fell you that in a variety of ways?
Yes. You did. Thank you! Thats how I knew to call the DOJ.

And Dirty. The DOJ said his name will be removed.

dirtykoala

imported post

Im925 wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
Im925 wrote:

QATC

Didn't I and others fell you that in a variety of ways?
Yes. You did. Thank you! Thats how I knew to call the DOJ.

And Dirty. The DOJ said his name will be removed.
right, and they told me OLLS are illegal. i am 100% sure his name will not be free and clear from the gun.

poothrowingape

imported post

Im925. My mother did some intrafamiliar transfers a while back. To my brother she transfered 2 handguns (a.22 and .25),and an SKS rifle. To me she transfered another SKS rifle. Keep in mind that once the DOJ gets the info that your father has transfered the firearm they will dispatch ATF agents to inspect the firearm. They showed up to my brother's house in full tactical swat gear expecting a fight i guess:(. Later they came to my house to inspect my SKS to make sure it was legal. They werent wearing swat gear with me though. It seems CA thinks handguns are more deadly than Rifles...:banghead:

I was 20 years old at the time and askedthe agentthe very same question you asked since i am also going toa police academy here in Fresno. He said yes its legal; however police agencies will see that you own firearms and not want to hire you because you will look like a gun freak lol. He also stated that open carry is legal but if your shirt so much as touches the gun in any way concieling ANY PART OF IT you will be commiing a crime and to kiss your LE career good bye.

So yes the DOJ ATF will tell you the truth. However the truth may come with a think layer of crap covering it

ALSO: I agree with the other guys about getting a gun that your future department will issue, it just makes sense. However, I would hold off on the academy until you are 21. I know people that are 21 and older butcontinuousslly get turned down by departments due to "lack of life experience." Which is a "dont sue me" version of, you're to young. I would still get the gun though. The longer you have it and use it, the better you will be with handling it.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
They showed up to my brother's house in full tactical swat gear expecting a fight i guess:(.
Good gravy. Do you think sometimes they just get bored and want an excuse to "suit up"?