• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walther P22

Open carry ok to me

imported post

What is a good high quality .22 round, my Walther P22 does not like the Remington bulk, or the federals. So does anyone know what a good .22 round is that would feed will through my newest addition to my firearms family.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Remington bulk is a bad choice for an auto.....it's probably not the gun. Check your feed ramp and polish it a bit. Federal SHOULD be ok.

Use mini mags or CCIstinger ammo and see the difference.

ALSO.....is the Walther broken in? Give it a few hundred rounds and clean it. :dude:

B

Bikenut

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Pezhead,

I recently did a "range test" of several different brands of ammo in my Walther P22, and came to the conclusion that CCI MiniMags are the best in my Walther.

You can read the details here, where I posted a complete report:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=38674&forum_id=41&highlight=walther+p22
CCI MiniMags work the best... but there is another thing that might need to be looked at:

The barrel of the P22 can loosen in it's base. The amount of loosening may not be much (when torn down for cleaning see if the barrel will turn a little) but will be enough to cause all sorts of feed and ejecting problems.

The solution is easy... a gunsmith (or yourself if you have the wrench needed) can remove the barrel.. coat the threads with soft, not the permanent kind, locktite.. and screw it back in tightly. Problem solved.

Been there, done that.

hp-hobo

imported post

Strange. My wife's P22 eats the Remington 550 and Winchester 333 bulk rounds all day long but doesn'tmuch care forFederal 550 (too long). The funny thing about .22 rimfire semi-autos, whether they're hand guns or long guns, is that most of them seem to have a preference in ammo.

Be very careful when someone makes a blanket statement like "Remington bulk is a bad choice for an auto". That is a demonstrably a poorly thought out opinion rather than a statement based on fact.

oldkim

imported post

Very good points.

For the Walther P22 - since the whole upper slide functions (unlike a Ruger Mark series or Buckmark and the likes, where only a small portion of the bolt assembly moves).

Therefore high velocity ammo is recommended but not absolutely needed. You do have to experiment and test your particular gun and see what it likes and what is acceptable to you. If you want flawless as you can get - stick with the CCI Stingers.

Make surethe gun is tighten down (barrel screw at the tip and barrel screw on the side) and you lube it up before a long shooting session.

I have 20+ magazines for my baby so it takes a punishing beating when I go out to the range. I don't have to reload for a while. I have gone through5 P22 in the last8 years.

Have fun with it!

Dreamer

imported post

Oldkim,

Do you mean you have more than 20 magazines for your Walther, or that you have mags that hold more than 20 rounds? I'd love to get some mags that hold more than10, but I haven't found any yet.

I hate reloading...

AbNo

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Remington bulk is a bad choice for an auto.....
I beg to differ. I've put a couple of bulk boxes through my Taurus 22-A, and never had a problem, other than a few dud rounds.

ALSO.....is the Walther broken in? Give it a few hundred rounds and clean it. :dude:
This is more likely the culprit. Put some oil on the slide and/or on the frame where it comes in contact with the slide.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=38674&forum_id=41&highlight=350+rounds

But the other 350 rounds were in my new Walther P22--I FINALLY got it out to the range (after having it for nearly 3 months without shooting it)

Ah, there we go. Yeah, give it at least another 200, I'd say another 500.

TheMrMitch

imported post

hp-hobo is right. A blanket statement I made should have been Remington bulk have proven a bad choice for any .22 *I* have owned with the inconsistant powder charges. Just listen to a succession of rounds fired and you'll understand. It may not bother others.

Perhaps they have changed? Been years since I tried one.:dude:

oldkim

imported post

Clarification:

Yes, I own 23 magazines for the P22. Over the years owning 5 guns plus buying more magazines when they were cheaper.

I have seen someone weld two magazines together to make a 20 round magazine - I don't think it worked all that great but it was a novel idea. Only 10 round magazines are available that I know of - in two styles with the flat floor plate or the finger notch.

Personally, all I shoot is the Remington Golden Bullet Bulk Pack of 525. Used to buy them by the case ($8.25 a box). Now they're running around $19-$22 at Cabela's.

Find what works for you and shoot it.

smash29

imported post

Interesting, I've had no trouble with Federal 550 count bulk ammo in my P22. I've lost count but i'dguess I've put 12K+ through it in the past 2 years...

CCI Mini Mags were my choice before i found that the federal bulk worked just as well.

brokenbarrel

imported post

Pace wrote:
MiniMags, it's the only one I use in my Sig Mosquito.
+1 my wifes walther p22(3.4) has never had a jam or ftf we only use cci mini mags,we also tried remington golden bullet with no jams but you can feel the difference and see the mini mags eject farther so my wife says for carry only mini mags,for target mini mags or golden bullets nothing more nothing less...