• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calif. OC on belt but jacket or coat may cover

tech_exec

imported post

I'm a long time owner of various firearms and have recentlybeen thinking about participating in NorCal open carry events to show my support.

If you're sitting in a chair (starbucks, etc.) with your firearm holstered on your belt it could easily be possible for your jacket to cover your firearm. Likewise, if you were driving and had your OC firearm on your belt, your jacket could cover it. What is the ruling in this instance?

If you're pulled over for speeding (or tail light, etc.) and an officer is talking to you through your passenger window and sees a partially covered holster/firearm, what could be the outcome?

thnx

BreakingTheMold

imported post

There is wording in the MI law that says if your jacket covers the firearm it would be concealed and therefore illegal; They go so far as to use the phrase if during inclement weather.

Perhaps a shoulder rig or drop leg would work. Or not wearing a jacket. Which is very hard to do most places in winter.

Most states laws are easily accessible through google.

tech_exec

imported post

Thanks much for your observation and your tip. There's a lot of OC momentum in NorCal, which is also stirring opponents to OC (and the media who need to sell advertising!) so we need to be as cautious as possible and cover all the bases.

More comments from OC proponents would be appreciated.

CarryOpen

imported post

I just make sure I am aware of my weapon and my clothing covering it. I carry at the front, so it's not hard to look down. A shorter jacket that easily tucks behind your weapon and stays put is the easiest way to go. In the car, I take my weapon out because that's the standard practice in my parts, could be very different in CA.

cscitney87

imported post

If you're in your vehicle- it is to be considered an extension of your home: in that it's a non-offense if, say, your car seat hugged your ribcage- there for your pistol is concealed, although on your hip and plainly visible otherwise. Same for your seat belt connection setup- most seat belts actually buckle right there where your pistol is on your hip... Say your buckle is obstructing the view of your openly carried pistol.. You can't be arrested for that. So it's okay I mean really it's not something to get completely paranoid about when you're riding along in your car. Any officer would understand, anyway, that by default your weapon is not viewable to him- because most people don't carry on their left hip.

I did a thread a while back about what to do if your pistol becomes concealed.. For example- you have your t-shirt on and you reach for a high shelf item at the grocery. Well on the way down- your shirt ends up covering the butt of your pistol.. What to do what to do? Well specially if other people are around.. specially if you know you are on camera.. Suddenly you may freak out knowing you are concealing when concealing is illegal. Here in colorado- no permit is required to open carry- so if an open carrier suddenly finds himself concealing by mistake, without a CHP, he could get a surge of adrenaline and panic a bit.

It's really not a big deal is what it is. If this happens- just fix it. Just uncover. It's a mistake and although tragic, it's not life-threatening and definitely is understandable.

onlurker

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
If you're in your vehicle- it is to be considered an extension of your home:
I do not believe that this applies to all states. I think Washington state is a good example as it is not illegal for you to have a loaded firearm in your home, but without a CPL you can't have a loaded pistol in the car (nevermind rifles and shotguns since a CPL doesn't apply to them).

Tech_exec, if you find that a tactical leg drop rig is too "tacticool" for your tastes, you can always try a level II duty serpa holster. I recently picked one up for when I am backpacking as my previous holster would render my waist strap useless. The benefit is that this holster moves the pistol below the beltline and pushes it away from your hip by a couple of inches. It is VERY difficult to have a jacket or shirt fall over the pistol. I've got a couple of pictures floating around in my photobucket somewhere that I can show you if you wish.

cscitney87

imported post

For 28 years police have had Supreme Court authorized permission to rifle through the belongings in your car if they had arrested you. Under two different cases, New York v. Belton, 453 U. S. 454 and Chimel v. California, 395 U. S. 752, it mattered not why they arrested you, any search incident to a custodial arrest was authorized and the police could search the entire car, it’s contents and all closed containers, on the spot, without your permission and without a warrant issued by a judge.

A search warrant is normally needed because your vehicle is an extension of your home. This has been decided in a SCOTUS case regarding the search and seizure of property inside the vehicle.

Look all I'm saying, anyway, is that it's okay to have the Openly Carried pistol obstructed by an object meant to restrain the drivers in the event of a crash: the seat belt buckle.

Also, it's okay to have the seat "hug" the driver's hips, ribcage, etc: as most aftermarket seats do this and many sports cars have seats like this. In my 03 Mustang, the seat comes up and wraps around the thigh and makes the pistol almost non-visible, although it's openly carried hip side.

Also, most people carry on the right hip- so an officer will not see your pistol anyway- if he approaches you from your driver side window. This is accepted and this is why some states require you to notify the officer that you are carrying.

onlurker

imported post

Honestly, I don't see what the first two paragraphs you posted has to do with your argument. To me, it reads that it was ok for the Police to search you when you're under arrest, and this means to me they'd need a warrant to search whether you're walking down the street, driving, or are being arrested in your home (with a warrant for the arrest of course).

I get what you were saying, my point was that while Colorado may have statutes allowing you to get away with having a loaded pistol in a car being open carried without a permit (due to extension of the home), Washington state does not have such provisions and as such, it is 100% illegal for someone who does not carry a CPL to carry a loaded pistol in their vehicle, open carried or otherwise.

See: RCW 9.41.050

"(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol..."

This leads me to believe that extension of your dwelling with regards to firearm carry does not apply nationwide.

Edited for typos

cscitney87

imported post

onlurker wrote:
Honestly, I don't see what the first two paragraphs you posted has to do with your argument. To me, it reads that it was ok for the Police to search you when you're under arrest, and this means to me they'd need a warrant to search whether you're walking down the street, driving, or are being arrested in your home (with a warrant for the arrest of course).

I get what you were saying, my point was that while Colorado may have statutes allowing you to get away with having a loaded pistol in a car being open carried without a permit (due to extension of the home), Washington state does not have such provisions and as such, it is 100% illegal for someone who does not carry a CPL to carry a loaded pistol in their vehicle, open carried or otherwise.

See: RCW 9.41.050

"(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol..."

This leads me to believe that extension of your dwelling with regards to firearm carry does not apply nationwide.

Edited for typos
The extension is recognized nation wide but you sure are correct about having the loaded firearm in your vehicle.

I'm saying.. if you are legally in possession of the pistol in the first place.

onlurker

imported post

Would you happen to have some more info on this then? I'm curious to see if as you describe, if this is a federal limitation (specifically with regards to firearms) making WA state's statute possibly illegal? Until then though, we may have to agree to disagree on this.

inbox485

imported post

tech_exec wrote:
I'm a long time owner of various firearms and have recently been thinking about participating in NorCal open carry events to show my support. 

If you're sitting in a chair (starbucks, etc.) with your firearm holstered on your belt it could easily be possible for your jacket to cover your firearm.  Likewise, if you were driving and had your OC firearm on your belt, your jacket could cover it.  What is the ruling in this instance? 

If you're pulled over for speeding (or tail light, etc.) and an officer is talking to you through your passenger window and sees a partially covered holster/firearm, what could be the outcome?

thnx

Repost this in the CA section and you'll get much better specifics, but even partial concealment from jacket or shirt cover will get you nailed.

tech_exec

imported post

Thanks all for the comments, even though some are tangential (I'm talking OC and not loaded here, but the info is interesting).

And thanks inbox485for the tip of posting in the Calif.-specific forum. Your comment "but even partial concealment from jacket or shirt cover will get you nailed" has me concerned so I'd like more input on this topic!

yelohamr

imported post

On cold or rainy days I wear a jacket with a drawstring at the waist. Tuck in behind the holster and mag carrier and tighten the draw string.

cato

imported post

Make sure it is in Plain View at all times. Partial concealment can be a violation. Do your reasurch: californiaopencarry.org .

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

In California it is actually a good idea to look at the Cal Crim jury instructions that would be read to a jury. I have a copy and will look, but it is my understanding the instructions say "substantially concealed".

I had an officer try and suggest that when I was sitting and my shirt merely laid on the back-strap of the handle of my pistol that it was concealed. Although "substantially concealed" is not defined.

To prove that the defendant is guilty of this crime, the People must prove that:

1. The defendant carried on (his/her) person a firearm capable of being concealed on the person;

2. The defendant knew that (he/she) was carrying a firearm;
AND

3. It was substantially concealed on the defendant’s person.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

I'm personally more partial to short waisted jackets. It just so happens to eliminate this difficulty on cold days.

RMafera

imported post

The gun has to be 100% visible from three angles to not be considered concealed. If you want to wear a jacket I suggest you get a super sexy sheep-skin jean jacket like I have :D. The bottom of the jacket sits right at my hips, directly above my firearm so there's no way it could accidentally become concealed.

Driving with the seat belt partially covering is fine, again, because it is an extension of your home. You are not legally required to tell an officer that you are OCing a firearm, but I would just to give them a heads up and to avoid him seeing it himself and putting a gun in your face.

And as stated by other posters, these things only apply to unloaded firearms no school zones, etc.

Hope this helps!

- Mafera

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

RMafera wrote:
The gun has to be 100% visible from three angles to not be considered concealed. If you want to wear a jacket I suggest you get a super sexy sheep-skin jean jacket like I have :D. The bottom of the jacket sits right at my hips, directly above my firearm so there's no way it could accidentally become concealed.

Driving with the seat belt partially covering is fine, again, because it is an extension of your home. You are not legally required to tell an officer that you are OCing a firearm, but I would just to give them a heads up and to avoid him seeing it himself and putting a gun in your face.

And as stated by other posters, these things only apply to unloaded firearms no school zones, etc.

Hope this helps!

- Mafera
I am sorry, but cite?